Galaxy S4 does not have Blocking Mode where it should be!

jonnyg100

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I swiped down with both fingers from top of the screen to see all toggle switches at once, but Blocking Mode is not an option. Isn't this where it should be? I tried to open "Blocking Mode" with S Voice but it said there is no enabled application by that name. Thanks for any help!

Jon

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't have a Verizon phone but in mine, it's there... Try looking under Settings/My Device if not, then maybe your carrier either disabled it or named it something different...

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
verizon removed that feature
VZW did not put it on their phones because if you want that service they have a service which you can buy for a monthly fee. If you want to block calls from certain numbers you can do that free for 6 months at your My Verizon account. There was a way to add it or un hide that feature on the S3 but I don't know if there is a way on the S4 or not. I would search the web because if it can be done I am sure someone has that figured out. Good Luck with it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
VZW did not put it on their phones because if you want that service they have a service which you can buy for a monthly fee. If you want to block calls from certain numbers you can do that free for 6 months at your My Verizon account. There was a way to add it or un hide that feature on the S3 but I don't know if there is a way on the S4 or not. I would search the web because if it can be done I am sure someone has that figured out. Good Luck with it.

That's why I hate Verizon! My speeds with Sprint aren't too bad, so I rather not pay more to Verizon for less customization on my phone!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

That's not what blocking mode is. Its not blocking numbers. Its turning off notifications on your phone for a specific period of time. Like while you're sleeping. All of your notifications will come through, but you won't be woken up by them. So they have no reason to remove that.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
That's not what blocking mode is. Its not blocking numbers. Its turning off notifications on your phone for a specific period of time. Like while you're sleeping. All of your notifications will come through, but you won't be woken up by them. So they have no reason to remove that.

Yep I know but they want to sell you the feature to let them do it for you their way. They did the same on the S3. VZW does everything they can to help you out with what they think you should need. You will have to find some other modified way to use this feature with a VZW phone. When you find another way to use this feature be careful when you get OTA updates cause usually those will disable blocking mode again for you.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep I know but they want to sell you the feature to let them do it for you their way. They did the same on the S3. VZW does everything they can to help you out with what they think you should need. You will have to find some other modified way to use this feature with a VZW phone. When you find another way to use this feature be careful when you get OTA updates cause usually those will disable blocking mode again for you.

Ya but they're not helping you do anything because people aren't trying to block some stalkers number from calling them or something. Its just simply trying to not get woken up during the night while still having your notifications waiting for you. Two completely different concepts. If that's what it was then I could see the advantage point for Verizon. But that's not it at all.

feltbettor

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded an app from the Google Play store called "Silent Time Premium" for $2. Only had it an hour but it's well designed and has a lot of the features I wanted. Two features I liked the best were scheduling 'night mode' with a weekly calendar function and the 'instant' silent option where you select a period of time for the phone to go silent during meetings, movies, dates, etc. Made a test call and the GS4 still lights up during a call but it does silence the ringtone. I sleep during the day so this doesn't bother me. I'll update in a few weeks if there's a problem with this app.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Funny...I have a problem where I sleep so soundly that I never hear my phone go off even though I keep it right on my nightstand next to my bed! I've actually missed some important calls in the past and almost feel like I need something that would amplify the ringtones at night (but of course I don't really want to be disturbed by 99% of the notifications that come in, so never mind).

MitchL

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not see why Verizon would disable the feature, the VZW iPhone comes with it.

On my SGS4, I tried a couple different apps but ended up using "Do Not Disturb" from the Play Store, so far so good, and best of all it's FREE

ACD168

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is an easy fix with the S3.

easy fix?
no not at all...
yes, it's easy to access it, but nothing works, it won't block calls and will f/c when trying to select a contact.

I actually had to port the missing code that Verizon removed into the SecPhone.apk SecContacts.apk and ClockPackage.apk to make it work 100%

it took a very long time.

I am working on porting this to the SG4, but without the device it is proving to be difficult.

ACD168

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They removed it from the Verizon note 2 as well

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

It's removed from all Verizon Samsung phones.
they only remove enough code to make it non functional but still present. this is how I was able to fix it 100% for vzw by finding that missing smali code. and porting it to the verizon applications so it's as if it came stock as it should have now.

I'm currently working on the Note2 now.

RazorDroid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
On my SGS4, I tried a couple different apps but ended up using " Do Not Disturb" from the Play Store, so far so good, and best of all it's FREE

Can you provide a link for said " Do Not Disturb" app? I find quite a few when I search The Market for it. Would like to try the one you use since you have had good luck with it. TIA

Last edited:

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded an app from the Google Play store called "Silent Time Premium" for $2. .
Is this app still working for you? I tried a couple but I keep having issues where it does not unsilence my text messages tone when it is supposed to. All my other notifications turn back on, except the text messages-- that stays silenced. I've had this problem with "Ring Scheduler & another app that I can't remember it's name.

Mrs. J

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have an S4. There is a feature called "Do not disturb" under MY DEVICE > Sound and notification > Do not disturb (under Notification section)... although you can only set up one schedule - not convenient if you want to set a schedule while at work, then another in the evening while you sleep. But it seems adequate for the overnight during sleeping schedule.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol