Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

Was trying to sell my microsoft surface RT and someone offered an unlocked S4. Only problem is that I'm on AT&T and the phone offered is an unlocked Verizon phone.

Also, is there anything I should watch out for in case he's scamming me?

Global Posts
    4,725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. You may get a frequency to work for voice but I highly doubt it. If you do trade for some reason, I would give a call to Verizon to ensure the ESN is clear on the device. And there is really nothing to unlock with the Verizon device.

You're surface is worth much more and will probably hold value longer than a phone :P
    Thanked by:
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Voice should work. But, data will be a problem for you. AT&T LTE is on different frequencies, so I don't think you'll get LTE data at all. And I'm not sure, but you might not get HSPA, either.

Yes, Verizon's LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

Verizon's web site lists...
    Code:
    Network
    Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
    Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)
    So with an ATT SIM you should have voice and 3G/4G HSPA data. You will not get LTE data on ATT because they use different frequencies than Verizon does.

You might have to adjust APN info for SMS/MMS to work.
    Thanked by:
    heykoi 
    Bizzle69 likes this.

edit: Forgot the VZW GS4 was international

Just like the Note 2, DNA, Blackberry Z10, and the other slew of the latest Verizon smartphones, yes it will work.

You will get voice (talk and text) and the equivalent of "3G" internet speeds for data.

Data might not work out of the box. (It didn't on the Note 2 and did on the Droid DNA)
    To fix this, you just need to add AT&T's or the carrier of your choice's APN settings. This requires root and a simple edit of the APN file using a text editor then replacing it using Root Explorer. XDA has the full tutorial which takes literally 5 minutes to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wanted to add, no LTE. Verizon and AT&T use different LTE bands and there is no way LTE will work.

Angry Re: Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

I have a Verizon S4 and have an AT&T micro sim that I want to use with Straight Talk. I have the data working, but the phone doesn't work. Any ideas?

I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 and it works on ATNT and TMobile.
    It has all the gsm bands to work on both of those networks.
    I even got hspa
    However you can't get LTE on ATT or t mobile on a Verizon phone, because the bands are not the same.

Most Verizon LTE phones will work in this manner.

Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Stiglich View Post
    I have a Verizon S4 and have an AT&T micro sim that I want to use with Straight Talk. I have the data working, but the phone doesn't work. Any ideas?
    call Straight Talk to verify your APN settings are correct--or do a google search for the appropriate APN settings.

Unlocked Phone APN Settings - AT&T Community Support

The Verizon S4 comes unlocked from Verizon and just goto Settings under the Connections tab. Then hit More Networks, then Mobile Networks, and then Network Mode and switch the network mode to GSM/UMTS. Then follow the links instructions to change your APN settings so you can get data and MMS from AT&T. (Goto Settings under Connections tab and then More Networks, and then Mobile Networks, and then Access Point Names (APN). Hit the Settings button next to the home button and tap "Add New APN". Type in the APN that was given in the link and hit save. It should work like a charm.
    Thanked by:

HSPA and HSPA+ will work on an unlocked S4 but LTE will not. The APN settings just need to be added. Take a look at this link for the directions Unlocked Phone APN Settings - AT&T Community Support

how i can used my samsung galaxy s4 sprint on tmobile with hspda?

Quote Originally Posted by jhosua16 View Post
    how i can used my samsung galaxy s4 sprint on tmobile with hspda?
    You would have to have Sprint unlock it but Sprint will not unlock for domestic carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile). They will only unlock for international carriers.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I also have the s4 from Verizon and I have talk and text but no data. can you or anyone help me out?

hello can you help me? I also switched to straight talk. no data connection!

im having the same issues. Any luck?

Can you link me on this tutorial? i have a verizon galaxy s4 and i currently have at&t. I tried rooting it but everything i try fails, for some reason when i hook up my phone to my laptop, it recognizes it but no software that i download recognizes the phone.

Thumbs up Re: Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

I transferred Verizon Samsung S4 to AT&T all works fine. Data and voice. 4G lte works fine.

Anyone have the AT&T APN settings to make mms and picture attachments work on Verizon Galaxy S4?? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sue8500 View Post
    I transferred Verizon Samsung S4 to AT&T all works fine. Data and voice. 4G lte works fine.
    Can you tell me what you did? I'm about to get my hands on a verizon galaxy s4 and use it on the att network. Any help would appreciated.

I would love a step by step if possible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Haddad View Post
    Can you tell me what you did? I'm about to get my hands on a verizon galaxy s4 and use it on the att network. Any help would appreciated.
    I would love a step by step if possible as well.

I have Galaxy s4 that was unlocked when purchased, I've used sim cards from the ais network in Thailand and both the 3 network and the lebara network in the UK all of which are GSM networks and the s4 works fine with text messages using google's hangout, whats up,and other messaging services; the phone itself works as does getting on the internet. There is under network settings -- network mode which offers GLOBAL, LTE/CDMA., and GSM/UMTS options and either the GLOBAL or GSM/UMTS should work with ATT, unless they play games with each other. The only problem that I have is that the phone still thinks it's a verizon phone in that the verizon start screen is there at startup and there are some other small things that happen that I am trying to get rid of all references to Verizon with no luck yet

Quote Originally Posted by Hendlefe View Post
    Was trying to sell my microsoft surface RT and someone offered an unlocked S4. Only problem is that I'm on AT&T and the phone offered is an unlocked Verizon phone.

Also, is there anything I should watch out for in case he's scamming me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast