Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

Hendlefe

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Was trying to sell my microsoft surface RT and someone offered an unlocked S4. Only problem is that I'm on AT&T and the phone offered is an unlocked Verizon phone.

Also, is there anything I should watch out for in case he's scamming me?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. You may get a frequency to work for voice but I highly doubt it. If you do trade for some reason, I would give a call to Verizon to ensure the ESN is clear on the device. And there is really nothing to unlock with the Verizon device.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Voice should work. But, data will be a problem for you. AT&T LTE is on different frequencies, so I don't think you'll get LTE data at all. And I'm not sure, but you might not get HSPA, either.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Yes, Verizon's LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

Verizon's web site lists...
Code:
Network
Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)
So with an ATT SIM you should have voice and 3G/4G HSPA data. You will not get LTE data on ATT because they use different frequencies than Verizon does.

You might have to adjust APN info for SMS/MMS to work.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

Just like the Note 2, DNA, Blackberry Z10, and the other slew of the latest Verizon smartphones, yes it will work.

You will get voice (talk and text) and the equivalent of "3G" internet speeds for data.

Data might not work out of the box. (It didn't on the Note 2 and did on the Droid DNA)
To fix this, you just need to add AT&T's or the carrier of your choice's APN settings. This requires root and a simple edit of the APN file using a text editor then replacing it using Root Explorer. XDA has the full tutorial which takes literally 5 minutes to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Also wanted to add, no LTE. Verizon and AT&T use different LTE bands and there is no way LTE will work.

Jill Stiglich

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon S4 and have an AT&T micro sim that I want to use with Straight Talk. I have the data working, but the phone doesn't work. Any ideas?

gmsisko1

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 and it works on ATNT and TMobile.
It has all the gsm bands to work on both of those networks.
I even got hspa?
However you can't get LTE on ATT or t mobile on a Verizon phone, because the bands are not the same.

Most Verizon LTE phones will work in this manner.

thepslayer

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked Phone APN Settings - AT&T Community Support

The Verizon S4 comes unlocked from Verizon and just goto Settings under the Connections tab. Then hit More Networks, then Mobile Networks, and then Network Mode and switch the network mode to GSM/UMTS. Then follow the links instructions to change your APN settings so you can get data and MMS from AT&T. (Goto Settings under Connections tab and then More Networks, and then Mobile Networks, and then Access Point Names (APN). Hit the Settings button next to the home button and tap "Add New APN". Type in the APN that was given in the link and hit save. It should work like a charm.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
how i can used my samsung galaxy s4 sprint on tmobile with hspda?

You would have to have Sprint unlock it but Sprint will not unlock for domestic carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile). They will only unlock for international carriers.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Clueless19

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 work on AT&T network?

Can you link me on this tutorial? i have a verizon galaxy s4 and i currently have at&t. I tried rooting it but everything i try fails, for some reason when i hook up my phone to my laptop, it recognizes it but no software that i download recognizes the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d