Not able to get Isis wallet to work.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Marriott coke vending machine on the tenth floor. Was there for the weekend so that was the only attempt. Tried at a McDonalds in south Carolina but the line was long and when I moved the phone to the pad my finger hit a button. That screwed up the transaction and I didn't have the nerve to retry. I'll report my next attempt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If your on Verizon you don't have much of a choice. I would much prefer Google wallet but Verizon blocks it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

They block it but I still found a way to use it. I'll try isis when they let people with rooted phones use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like isis is working for sure. Just used it at McDonalds in Greenville SC.

When I had my galaxy nexus rooted I had google wallet working and Verizon borked it again. I just got tired of having to root my phone just to keep up with a moving target.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Worked with a vending machine in my office. Got a bag of chips. Seems to have changed more ($1 with cash, I was charged something like $1.50). Worked well at my local convenience store (NJ), and no extra charge there.

In general, seems handy as a backup to normal credit card, if you forgot/lost your wallet, or something, but hard to see it as the primary choice of payment.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Worked with a vending machine in my office. Got a bag of chips. Seems to have changed more ($1 with cash, I was charged something like $1.50). Worked well at my local convenience store (NJ), and no extra charge there.

In general, seems handy as a backup to normal credit card, if you forgot/lost your wallet, or something, but hard to see it as the primary choice of payment.

Did it notify you of the extra charge so you could back out of the purchase if you did not want to pay the extra fee...seems like a $.50 charge for a $1.00 purchase is a little steep?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Did it notify you of the extra charge so you could back out of the purchase if you did not want to pay the extra fee...seems like a $.50 charge for a $1.00 purchase is a little steep?
Happened pretty quickly. May be there was some way to cancel, but did not we it. I think happened to me once on vending machine when I was trying out Google Wallet a year or so ago. Never happened when paying at store.

I should try plain credit/debut card there (next time I'm in that building) . I'm thinking it's more that, than NFC.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Given the rules tied to the 700Mhz spectrum Verizon is using they are not allowed to block anything of course the FTC and FCC have not gumption to get things done and Google isn't making enough of a stink. I would like to see Google find a way around the ISIS crap, since I will unlikely use it anyways.

tiger81t

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was finally able to use ISIS successfully at my CVS in Los Angeles--the only thing that changed since the last time I tried it (unsuccessfully, at CVS) was the July 17th update to the app. If ISIS continues to work at more places I'll say I'm pretty happy with it and that I like it better than Google Wallet. It's just a real b!+?# to getting to work properly.
- To recap: I had to get a new NFC SIM from my local Verizon store in LA, since the SIM that was shipped with my new S4 from Wirefly was not an NFC SIM (it will say "NFC" next to the bar code on the credit-card-sized card that you punch the SIM card out of. Make sure that NFC is on and S-Beam (though I haven't tried it without S-Beam on). I use an invisible shield case (sticker) but can imagine if you have metal case or a thick case it might disrupt the signal.
- Charges show up on my AmEx bill as being from the merchant itself with the merchant info (e.g. location, phone number) on my statement. With Google Wallet charges just showed up as "GOOGLE WALLET".
- The number of card issues you can use it with is limited (AmEx, Chase, Capital One) but this is not a point of contention with me because I use my AmEx for almost everything because I love it.
- It seems to be more secure than Google Wallet because it requires the secure element on your SIM. This is unique to your SIM card, whereas with Google Wallet anyone with your Google login and Wallet pin could theoretically use your credit cards.
- I would've been more pissed and probably would have written a negative review on the ISIS app bashing Verizon for blocking Google Wallet (like the many others on there), but ISIS essentially paid me $25 to try the app ($10 for setting up the cash card plus an extra $15 for making it "re-loadable")

I'll keep trying it at more places with an NFC payment reader like 7-11, McDonalds, BestBuy, Macys and report back!

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally I prefer Google wallet over Isis since I'm rooted and isis app won't allow for rooted devices to run the app if on Verizon. Been using the Google wallet hack and never looked back. I don't like the idea that you have to set up an account through chase in order for it to run.

Rooted S4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc