stock browser question

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I have Google. com set as my homepage. In settings, its set to go there when I start the browser.
However, it doesn't work that way. When I click on the browser it opens to the last page that was open.
Any suggestions?
Joe

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've always wondered the same thing--why we can set a page as our homepage, but can't really get to that homepage with one tap, and can't have that open up automatically whenever we start up the browser.

One workaround is to place a bookmark for Google.com on your homescreen, and use that to open the browser, rather than the Browser icon. Go to Widgets, drag Bookmark to a homescreen, then select Google.com as the bookmark you want to place.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
It is because you closed the browser with an open page. Tap in the upper right corner of the browser and open a second tab. It will be a clean Google page. Close tab 1 first then close tab 2. Now you will have a fresh Google page when you open the browser.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It seems like such a klutzy workaround to do what it should do in the first place. As it is now I have google bookmarked, so it's simple to go there. I also have a google widget on another page, but the problem with that is then I can't easily get to my other bookmarks.

Joe

It is because you closed the browser with an open page. Tap in the upper right corner of the browser and open a second tab. It will be a clean Google page. Close tab 1 first then close tab 2. Now you will have a fresh Google page when you open the browser.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep awkward, as far as I know it is that or remember to back out to the start page before you close.

Exactly. Without backing out to the home page you are simply sending the browser to the background. Another way is exiting the browser in the task manager (at least in Gingerbread it works that way; don't have my S4 32Gb yet). And clearing memory in the RAM tab really clears past open pages.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I bet if they changed it to close the page you were on every time, they would have MANY more people complain about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835