Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Really need some help with battery issues

    I bought the S4 the day after it was released on Verizon. It's my first trip back to Android from iOS since the Moto Droid 1 and I love it, the options are vast and superior. However my battery life seems to be very low. For a 2600 mAh battery I'm only getting about 10 hours off charger with about 2 1/2 hours of screen on time and I hit about 30% battery. That's with Mobile Data off, Power Saver Mode On, GPS off, All Gestures off, Wifi On (full service) and adjusted Auto Display. I went to Verizon and they switched out my battery to see if that may have been the problem but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm currently running Battery Guru to see if it can help assess the situation. My question is this, is it possible that there's a fault in the phone and not battery? Would calling Samsung and having them give me a new phone be worth my while or just more trouble? My main uses are showing Screen at 51% and Android System at 23% (I feel like the OS should not be using up that much battery) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Quote Originally Posted by nwwolf1 View Post
    I bought the S4 the day after it was released on Verizon. It's my first trip back to Android from iOS since the Moto Droid 1 and I love it, the options are vast and superior. However my battery life seems to be very low. For a 2600 mAh battery I'm only getting about 10 hours off charger with about 2 1/2 hours of screen on time and I hit about 30% battery. That's with Mobile Data off, Power Saver Mode On, GPS off, All Gestures off, Wifi On (full service) and adjusted Auto Display. I went to Verizon and they switched out my battery to see if that may have been the problem but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm currently running Battery Guru to see if it can help assess the situation. My question is this, is it possible that there's a fault in the phone and not battery? Would calling Samsung and having them give me a new phone be worth my while or just more trouble? My main uses are showing Screen at 51% and Android System at 23% (I feel like the OS should not be using up that much battery) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys!

    Posted via Android Central App
    I find it funny that those that cripple their devices often have the biggest issues with battery life!

    1. Disable "auto-brightness". It's known to use power. Just manually set it at the lowest level that looks good to you.
    2. Power saver mode. I say turn it off. Granted, this probably isn't going to improve things, but it really doesn't save that much and tends to really slow the device down with CPU throttling.
    3. If you on wifi, turning mobile data off doesn't save that much power either...but whatever

    Honestly, 2.5 hours screen time in 10 hours is pretty heavy use. I agree your battery life should possibly be better, but with such a large screen and that much "on" time, it's not out of the question. What you are actually doing on the phone for that 2.5 hours is another question that help diagnose this problem (if there is one). Anything data- or CPU-intensive would obviously explain faster battery drain.

    "Android OS" is also a very generic item that could account for a number of things...and may not even be a problem depending on what you're using the phone for.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    I have not tried this out yet, but seems like a pretty cool app from the maker of the CPU to help manager your battery life automatically, could help...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    I actually just got it. And it started today so I won't know any real results yet. But I'll definitely keep you posted.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    My use is honestly checking Android Central, Reddit, Facebook and music that's on my SD not streaming. But the issue I'm facing is my friend has all the same uses and times and everything and our battery percentage difference is about 40%. Hell be at 70% when I'm at 30%.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Quote Originally Posted by nwwolf1 View Post
    My use is honestly checking Android Central, Reddit, Facebook and music that's on my SD not streaming. But the issue I'm facing is my friend has all the same uses and times and everything and our battery percentage difference is about 40%. Hell be at 70% when I'm at 30%.

    Posted via Android Central App
    are your screen times the same?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    I have I used Juice Defender Ultimate on many phones and it makes a huge difference. It seems to work very well on my S4. I used the Snapdragon Battery Guru for 2 weeks and it didn't seem to improve my battery life at all. With JD I'm usually off the charger 16 hours with 30-40% left. Spares are cheap so I keep one in my bag but have yet to need it.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Yup just about same screen on time. I'll be at like 2 1/2 hours and hell be at like 2 or so. The thing is I even went to the Samsung kiosk at Best Buy and the guy said the battery shouldn't drain that much. He's the one that told me to call Samsung.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Are you rooting? If so, I highly recommend Greenify + Wakelock detector. Greenify puts apps into hibernation mode so they don't run background processes. Wakelock detector helps you identify those apps you may want to hibernate. I easily got 4-5 hours on screen time using these 2. I had a hard time running my battery down and it would often be around 60% by bed time. I posted a thread a while back showing my usage using these apps. They do work with location services enabled.

    For Rooted users: Greenify + Wakelock detector for excellent battery life
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    I'm not rooted but I definitely want to. I haven't found any good easy ways to do it yet though. What ROM are you running?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Quote Originally Posted by nwwolf1 View Post
    I'm not rooted but I definitely want to. I haven't found any good easy ways to do it yet though. What ROM are you running?
    I was going to link the method I used, which was pretty darn easy...but XDA's site appears to be down at the moment.

    It's stickied at the top of this sub-forum:

    I'm running CleanROM at the moment, which is probably a good choice if you're new to rooting and ROM'ing, since it's a Touchwiz based ROM and very stable.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Awesome. I really appreciate that man. Honestly I just want to root to get rid off all the bloatware haha

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Really need some help with battery issues

    Yeah man I agree with the greenify , also I notice clean rom on my s4 has better batt also most rooms do, also running android revolution or setinal on my one with greenify helps a lot to, I use to hate my s4 because of lag and rooting fixed that also

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Similar Threads

  1. Really need some help with this!!!-Phone unusable
    By zjaksn10 in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
  2. Issue that is baffling verizon...need some help with.
    By oldstyle00 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
  3. (Help) Need some help with ROM Flashing
    By Krzr93 in forum Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
  4. Need some help with Google Calendar
    By Paevo in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
  5. Need some help with a Case
    By AAFD in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B