1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Not receiving texts from certain people (Verizon Galaxy S4)

Hi there,

I picked up a brand new Galaxy S4 from Verizon on June 15th, and from day 1 everything seemed to be working great. I was texting people with no issues. Then, about a week later I had noticed I wasn't receiving messages from certain people, and they'd ask why I hadn't replied, etc.

Keep in mind, this is only with certain people. I am still able to text etc.

I transferred my number from Virgin Mobile (HTC Evo V 4G) and had that service canceled a week after this phone was purchased. This seems to be about when I started noticing this issue occurring.

The first thing I tried to do was target whether it was a certain phone or carrier causing this issue.

I have received messages from certain people with iPhones, and not received messages from people with iPhones...

There is no specific carrier that is part of the issue. Just random people. I have tried texting "contacts" of numbers I already had, and even tried texting people who I had never texted before. No luck.

This is very frustrating..I have restarted the phone etc, with no luck.

Would a factory reset do the trick? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Not receiving texts from certain people (Verizon Galaxy S4)

Is your 4G on all the time? I think there's an issue with iphone messages. Maybe an issue with group messaging that comes through as MMS instead of text (which apparently is normal). There's other threads on this where people have talked about it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, that's the thing...I have tried with my 4G on with no luck.

This issue doesn't occur with only iPhone users; that's the thing. I receive messages from certain iPhone 4's, and then I don't receive it from others. I had a friend on a Blackberry phone text me; no luck. I can't even receive messages from a Galaxy S3. It's getting quite bad lately and I can only text a select maybe, 3 people or so as of lately...

There's no specific pattern as far as I see.

Even though your virgin phone is canelled make sure it's turned off. Also, it wouldn't hurt to contact virgin to make sure that your line is cancelled. Also, are you using the stock messaging app?

I'd really like to know the problem because the same exact situation is happening to me.
    It only spots out certain people for me not to receive text from.
    I can text anyone else, and get a response. :l
    I've also talked to the people, and they've showed me on their phone that they are replying, every time.

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Normal occurrence for a ported number. The people who you aren't getting texts from are non VZW customers. Means your number wasn't ported correctly; other carriers don't know your number isn't on Virgin anymore. Call VZW and explain situation. Tell them to rebroadcast your # and issue should clear up.

Had your same problem on S4. Discovered that there is a Spam folder in the SMS folder which can register contacts and then block SMSs from them. To see if this is the case goto your list of SMSs. hit the menu button (to the left of the home button). There should be an option 'Spam Messages'. If you see messages here it means that possibly you have some contacts marked as spam. To check it out, hit the menu button again. Select the last option 'Settings'. Scroll till the very bottom of the list to find 'Spam message settings' and check out the lists under 'Spam Numbers'. Good luck

Had same here. After trying many things. One solution solves my problem, I downloaded Go sms app from store and use it for sending and receiving SMSs with no issues. For sure there is a problem with Messaging App but I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerherwig View Post
    Hi there,

I picked up a brand new Galaxy S4 from Verizon on June 15th, and from day 1 everything seemed to be working great. I was texting people with no issues. Then, about a week later I had noticed I wasn't receiving messages from certain people, and they'd ask why I hadn't replied, etc.

Keep in mind, this is only with certain people. I am still able to text etc.

I transferred my number from Virgin Mobile (HTC Evo V 4G) and had that service canceled a week after this phone was purchased. This seems to be about when I started noticing this issue occurring.

The first thing I tried to do was target whether it was a certain phone or carrier causing this issue.

I have received messages from certain people with iPhones, and not received messages from people with iPhones...

There is no specific carrier that is part of the issue. Just random people. I have tried texting "contacts" of numbers I already had, and even tried texting people who I had never texted before. No luck.

This is very frustrating..I have restarted the phone etc, with no luck.

Would a factory reset do the trick? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi just realised why I wasn't getting texts from one person for last few weeks when I was before.with the person's number on screen left click on phone and choose settings, you will find that the number had been put into spam,so just choose to remove it from spam and problem solved.

Good day to us all.

I had the same issue with my iPhone 4S and my S4. What I found out through trial and error is that Apple and Droid do not play well together. Check to see if iMessage is enabled on your iPhone. If it is, try disengaging that option and then try again. At least that worked for me. I was missing some important texts and was blamed for not responding, and I told them that I never received the texts, and even showed them my S4 as proof, although I was accused of deleting the text messages. With this solution, at least for me, I no longer have that problem. Hope this works for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gonzi View Post
    Had your same problem on S4. Discovered that there is a Spam folder in the SMS folder which can register contacts and then block SMSs from them. To see if this is the case goto your list of SMSs. hit the menu button (to the left of the home button). There should be an option 'Spam Messages'. If you see messages here it means that possibly you have some contacts marked as spam. To check it out, hit the menu button again. Select the last option 'Settings'. Scroll till the very bottom of the list to find 'Spam message settings' and check out the lists under 'Spam Numbers'. Good luck
    Worked for me after a few days of head scratching.....great bit of advice!!