Should I get the S4 with my upgrade later this month?

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
This is really directed to Major Payne since I know he came from the Rezound, but I will be happy to see input from any of you out there. I am finally due an upgrade on my Rezound - I am leaning towards a 32gb S4. I had the fascinate, but very slow updates pushed me away from Samsung.

While the Verizon versions still seem to be behind the curve, it appears to me that Samsung has done a great job since the S2 of updating their phones to keep them relevant. I also like the availability of accessories for the Samsung phones, and some of the custom apps Samsung includes hold my interest as well.

I figure for $50 more, the added internal storage is worth it. I will be adding a 32 gb card, but as more apps are written for these phones with more processing power, I figure that the added internal storage will be worth the cost - which I think is pretty cheap when broken down over the 24 months that I will own the device.

As I said anybody's advice to sway me one way or the other will be greatly appreciated!

Posted via Android Central App from my Kindle Fire HD

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
While I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get the S4,i don't think anyone should be able to "sway" you to get a device. I highly recommend you do research on what features you want and above all go get hands on with a few devices and pick the best one for you.

As fat as updates go, stand by to stand by because Verizon is very slow in releasing anything. I do like there are many accessories for the S4 but I also like the build quality of the HTC One.

Now go get a new device!

Posted via Android Central App

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i'm upgrading to the S4 from a Rezound as well, in exactly 21 days. my biggest trepidation is moving from HTC, which I've been with for the past three phones. i'm going 16GB version, i'm in no need to be able to save 30GB of stuff on my smartphone. what's left available should be fine, minus the music on my SD card. i'm trading in two Rezounds (my wife upgrades on the same day) for $50 bucks each, so that makes the $199 tag that much more manageable. if it were just me, then I would go 32GB as well. this would be a much harder decision for me if the HTC One were already out on verizon, and the Note 2 is just too dang big. however, if the S4 falters in any way, (in the 14 day period) I'm going with the N2.

good luck to you, hopefully everything will work out great.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
No need to spend a lot more money for 16GB extra space when there is an SD card attachment. Just get the 16 and buy a 64GB SDcard. Soon the integration between the SDcard and internal storage will be integrated for apps as I hear.

jsuns

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally went from a Fascinate to a Galaxy Nexus, and then to the S4. Trust me, the "very slow updates" that you mention in your post had very little to do with Samsung, and were more a problem with Verizon's testing and approval process for OTA firmware updates. As a Nexus owner we were supposed to get updates rapidly, but the Verizon GN would regularly be the last carrier to provide each update, sometimes by several months. So I'd say not to let your experience with the Fascinate put you off Samsung.

However, you may want to wait a few weeks and see what new phones are being released this summer by Verizon. I know the HTC One and Motorola X phone should be coming out soon. I don't regret purchasing my S4 one bit, but I have no idea if my decision would have changed if I had 3 or 4 top-of-the-line phones to choose from as opposed to basically having no other options.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This is really directed to Major Payne since I know he came from the Rezound, but I will be happy to see input from any of you out there. I am finally due an upgrade on my Rezound - I am leaning towards a 32gb S4. I had the fascinate, but very slow updates pushed me away from Samsung.

While the Verizon versions still seem to be behind the curve, it appears to me that Samsung has done a great job since the S2 of updating their phones to keep them relevant. I also like the availability of accessories for the Samsung phones, and some of the custom apps Samsung includes hold my interest as well.

I figure for $50 more, the added internal storage is worth it. I will be adding a 32 gb card, but as more apps are written for these phones with more processing power, I figure that the added internal storage will be worth the cost - which I think is pretty cheap when broken down over the 24 months that I will own the device.

As I said anybody's advice to sway me one way or the other will be greatly appreciated!

Hey Dan,

First of all I wan to say that I'm enjoying the heck out of my S4, When i first got it i was honestly worried due to everyone saying it lags. I did not see the lag that they were speaking of I'm not saying that they were lying or that I didn't have it but I just didn't see what they were saying(i don't think you will either coming form the rezound). Maybe it's the fact that I use my S4 as a phone listen to podcasts and a tethering device 99% of the time. I don't play games on it. That is what my Nexus 7 is for. What i can say is that this phone is NIGHT and DAY difference on battery. I run 10.5 hour days at work and during that whole time the S4 is being used for tethering on a 4g network that sucks balls in my area of work (to much electronics for EMI issues) but I still usually have somewhere int he neighborhood of 30% left. My nexus 7 has 6 email accounts set to check every 5 mins and facebook always running.

As for updates I have actually already rooted my phone and switched to a ROM, Scotts Clean Rom to be exact. you'll remember him from the Rezound work he did for us and he hasn't lost a step. I'd get the 32gb just for piece of mind. I have the 16 and it does everything I need but milage may vary. Also remember how Verizon Treats the Rezound updates... We offically still don't have the Global update promised to use on release

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No need to spend a lot more money for 16GB extra space when there is an SD card attachment. Just get the 16 and buy a 64GB SDcard. Soon the integration between the SDcard and internal storage will be integrated for apps as I hear.

Proof? Fifty bucks is not a "lot more money" for double the space.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I have already made the decision to go for the 32gb S4, but as with every upgrade I just want to look at it as thoroughly as I can... I have played around with several S4s, on VZW and Tmo, and I haven't seen any issues; but we all know that you sometimes don't see the real flaws until you've had the device for a while...

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana