Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is a New SD Card Recommended?

Ordered my new GS4 a few days ago and waiting for it to arrive. I have a 32gb SD in my current phone (Droid X) and was thinking about just using it in the new phone. However after doing some reading through the various forums I have noticed some have recommended getting an entirely new SD card. I don't mind doing that and spending the extra money, but is it really worth it? I don't want to transfer anything unnecessary to the new phone from the older SD card. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Global Posts
    4,729 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is a New SD Card Recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by windycityrider View Post
    Ordered my new GS4 a few days ago and waiting for it to arrive. I have a 32gb SD in my current phone (Droid X) and was thinking about just using it in the new phone. However after doing some reading through the various forums I have noticed some have recommended getting an entirely new SD card. I don't mind doing that and spending the extra money, but is it really worth it? I don't want to transfer anything unnecessary to the new phone from the older SD card. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    I have read where some people have/had issues with certain SanDisk cards. I also have a 64gb SanDisk card and haven't had any issues. But yet wife my has the same card and just the other day her device stopped recognizing it for whatever reason. I simply moved her data to the PC and reformatted her card. I read where the Samsung cards are doing well but then again you sure don't find those on sale. Lol

Posted via Android Central App
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Default Re: Is a New SD Card Recommended?

IMO it depends on what you store on it. The reason people suggest getting a new one is because those cards have a limited life span. They'll eventually just die. I think there's a pretty good deal of variation on how long they live, though.

If you store data on there that you don't want to lose then I'd just get a new one. 32GB cards aren't that expensive. If you otherwise backup your data (e.g. use Dropbox for photos and just sync music from another location) then you might as well just wait to see how long your card lasts. It may survive the next two years without any trouble.