Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Software Update

I'm getting a message on Kies saying that there's new software available for the S4, but I haven't heard anything about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about it, or is this a bug on Kies' part?

Default Re: Software Update

Quote Originally Posted by tino768 View Post
    I'm getting a message on Kies saying that there's new software available for the S4, but I haven't heard anything about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about it, or is this a bug on Kies' part?
    I read on this site that the S4 on Sprint is getting an update:

Sprint's Galaxy S4 getting an OTA update, apps-to-SD support and Samsung Knox are notable additions | Android Central

However, I haven't heard anything about Verizon phones.

J

Just connected mine to Kies...

CUrrent firmware version: PDA:MDK / PHONE:MDK / CSC:MDK (VZW)
    Latest firmware version: PDA:ME7 / PHONE: ME7 / CSC:ME7 (VZW)

I'm updating now. I'll report back when its done

Edit: Kies doesn't tell me the size, or whats new. It is taking a little bit to download.

Edit 2: there is a tmpD385.tmp which had appeared when kies started "downloading file for firmware upgrade" and is now at 971,207KB in size. Progress bar shows 41%

EDIT 3: temp file grew to 1,825,955 KB, then Kies started "decrypting binary files"

Edit 4: I now have a I545VRUAME7_I545VZWAME7_I545VRUAME7_HOME.tar.md5 which is being flashed.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-09-2013 at 08:45 AM.

(sorry for the picture size)
    Before...

After update...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-09-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Have you noticed any changes (apps2sd)? Also do screen transitions and animations seem improved at all (in particular the dreaded Gallery)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    Have you noticed any changes (apps2sd)? Also do screen transitions and animations seem improved at all (in particular the dreaded Gallery)?
    Just got it loaded, and I'm working, so give me a few... One thing I did notice... see the "Secure boot status" in the AFTER picture? that wasn't there before the upgrade. Could this be the KNOX update?

EDIT: Yes. Apps 2 SD is there. I just moved a few.
    Thanked by:
    Mooem 

WARNING TO THOSE WHO EVER WANT ROOT.... DO NOT FLASH THIS!!!! See ->

The current method we had for gaining root, flashing alternate recoveries, flashing custom roms, etc.. does NOT work with this VRUAME7 ROM. So if you have root, or ever want root, or want to flash a custom rom, then DO NOT FLASH THIS update! At the time I am posting this, it is unknown if there will ever be a way around this, or if we will ever have the ability to root this or newer ROMs.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Upload complete...

The enclosed .MD5 file should be flashable via ODIN, after unzipping.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 07-10-2013 at 06:41 AM.

I have never used Kies. I am assuming I need to download it to my PC. Do I get the download on Samsung's website?
    You were born an original , Don't Die a Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Floridadomer View Post
    I have never used Kies. I am assuming I need to download it to my PC. Do I get the download on Samsung's website?
    Here is a link to download.

I did a direct update and not a clean install. So far lag is actually worse now. Ridiculous. I will wipe later and see if that helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by WickedRabbit View Post
    I did a direct update and not a clean install. So far lag is actually worse now. Ridiculous. I will wipe later and see if that helps.
    I updated through the Verizon update app and it's smooth as butter. No "hitching" at all in the UI.
    Other UI things I've noticed:
    -Brightness seems higher - can't honestly verify this one, but I used to keep mine at 75% and have had to turn it down close to 50% now.
    -Status bar has transparent background on my custom homepage background, not just on the preloaded ones.
    -New font setting for clarity in Screen settings. No clue what that actually does.

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Quote Originally Posted by WickedRabbit View Post

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Direct Update is the worst way to update and i'm not shocked on the lag you might be recieving. when updates come a dirty install is never the answer. a format should be done every time
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

So I'm rooted running CleanROM right now, but I'd like to go back to stock and check out this update (I don't care to lose root). Would I just wipe, install my stock image from my SD card and then plug into Kies? Would that be the general process?

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    So I'm rooted running CleanROM right now, but I'd like to go back to stock and check out this update (I don't care to lose root). Would I just wipe, install my stock image from my SD card and then plug into Kies? Would that be the general process?
    Once you install this, there is no leaving it. It puts a new bootloader on there. Until someone cracks this, don't install it unless you want to be stuck with it. You will lose root.

Quote Originally Posted by Averix View Post
    Once you install this, there is no leaving it. It puts a new bootloader on there. Until someone cracks this, don't install it unless you want to be stuck with it. You will lose root.
    I don't mind losing root. I was thinking of going back to stock anyway. Just wanted to make sure my line of thinking would work by way of updating.

I don't mind losing root. I was thinking of going back to stock anyway. Just wanted to make sure my line of thinking would work by way of updating.
    If you're already rooted and running CleanROM, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS!!!

There is a VERY good chance that a rooted version of this stock OS will be available to flash in recovery within a day or so. If you really want to go back to stock, that's what I'd recommend...that way you have the freedom to choose what you want to do later.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd ever want to leave CR for unrooted stock with a bootloader that can't be unlocked...but that's just me.
    S.Meezy and ajnevares like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    If you're already rooted and running CleanROM, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS!!!

There is a VERY good chance that a rooted version of this stock OS will be available to flash in recovery within a day or so. If you really want to go back to stock, that's what I'd recommend...that way you have the freedom to choose what you want to do later.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd ever want to leave CR for unrooted stock with a bootloader that can't be unlocked...but that's just me.
    This is really the first time I've rooted and ROMed anything. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth for me. My OCD is constantly looking for that next tweak and it was just overkill. It has gotten to the point of me worried about every little thing that I don't really want to mess with it anymore. I think stock unrooted is the way for me. So there's no temptation.

So is my method correct?

This is really the first time I've rooted and ROMed anything. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth for me. My OCD is constantly looking for that next tweak and it was just overkill. It has gotten to the point of me worried about every little thing that I don't really want to mess with it anymore. I think stock unrooted is the way for me. So there's no temptation.

So is my method correct?
    It sounds correct, though I've never attempted to install a stock OS via Kies on a rooted phone. I have a feeling that Kies will tell you if your phone is incompatible.

Once again, to each his own....it's not what I'd do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    WARNING TO THOSE WHO WANT ROOT.... DO NOT FLASH THIS!!!! See ->
    Thank you for sharing this...I also posted a "PSA" thread to warn folks about the risk.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I updated through the Verizon update app and it's smooth as butter. No "hitching" at all in the UI.
    Other UI things I've noticed:
    -Brightness seems higher - can't honestly verify this one, but I used to keep mine at 75% and have had to turn it down close to 50% now.
    -Status bar has transparent background on my custom homepage background, not just on the preloaded ones.
    -New font setting for clarity in Screen settings. No clue what that actually does.
    what app? I haven't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by sox08 View Post
    what app? I haven't seen that before.
    I'm assuming they meant Kies, which is Samsung and not Verizon.

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I'm assuming they meant Kies, which is Samsung and not Verizon.
    No, I did not mean Kies. When you plug in your S4, it will mount a CD image on the Mac for a bit. On that image is a software updating application. When you launch that, it finds the update and performs the install.

I had no idea it existed either until today. I've always tried to figure out how to stop that stupid CD from mounting so I never paid any attention to what was on it.
    Thanked by 2:
    Gawain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by major payne View Post
    Direct Update is the worst way to update and i'm not shocked on the lag you might be recieving. when updates come a dirty install is never the answer. a format should be done every time
    Dang, I was about to do a "dirty" update until I read this. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good app or method to back up all my settings, apps, etc before I wipe my phone for the update?

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantDroid View Post
    Here is a link to download.
    THANK YOU!
    You were born an original , Don't Die a Copy

I know this is a dumb question. Knox , is this need to be turned on? Does it just run in background? I have installed the update I saw the move to sd card. But I don't see anything about knox anywhere? I have the at&t gs4

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

No, I did not mean Kies. When you plug in your S4, it will mount a CD image on the Mac for a bit. On that image is a software updating application. When you launch that, it finds the update and performs the install.

I had no idea it existed either until today. I've always tried to figure out how to stop that stupid CD from mounting so I never paid any attention to what was on it.
    This worked perfectly for me. Kies always crashes on my PC and using Kies Air or Lite would not/could not capture the update. Great catch! Thank yoU!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast