Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By George West1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Foxfi not working

Just got new Galaxy S4 for Verizon. I downloaded and installed Foxfi and it seemed to work ok. I plugged my new phone into my computer and Kies instructed me to update the firmware which I did. Now Foxfi will not allow me to have my mobile hotspot. The program launches fine but then I get a message saying that I am not subscribed to that service. Any thoughts?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,779 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Foxfi not working

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Lonberger View Post
    Just got new Galaxy S4 for Verizon. I downloaded and installed Foxfi and it seemed to work ok. I plugged my new phone into my computer and Kies instructed me to update the firmware which I did. Now Foxfi will not allow me to have my mobile hotspot. The program launches fine but then I get a message saying that I am not subscribed to that service. Any thoughts?
    When you updated the firmware that Verizon released, in that update was the closing of whatever loophole that FoxFi was using. This has been an ongoing battle between developers like FoxFi, and carriers.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

When the message pops up tap the "go to my Verizon mobile", then hit your home key. Works for me.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    When the message pops up tap the "go to my Verizon mobile", then hit your home key. Works for me.
    THANK YOU!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Do you have the unlimited data plan? I am afraid that they will pull my unlimited data if they know that I am using Foxfi.

Do you have the unlimited data plan? I am afraid that they will pull my unlimited data if they know that I am using Foxfi.
    Have unlimited plan, been using it for a month or so, the full version, no issues whatsoever.

My theory is (and it's just a theory) that unless you're using a TON of data, they're never going to check anyway.

I've somehow managed to upgrade my phone twice, and use hotspot from time to time too, and for whatever reason still have unlimited data on my plan...but I don't even care that much because I rarely use over 2GB as it is...and maybe that's why Verizon doesn't care either?

EDIT: I guess my point is that if keeping unlimited is very important to you and you plan to tether quite a bit, it may be worth it to you to pay for the MH service...but if you're like me and just plan to use it in small doses from time to time when you need it, then you're probably pretty safe. I emphasize "probably"...obviously anyone doing this understands the risk involved when it comes to Verizon's policy on tethering with an unlimited plan.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    My theory is (and it's just a theory) that unless you're using a TON of data, they're never going to check anyway.

I've somehow managed to upgrade my phone twice, and use hotspot from time to time too, and for whatever reason still have unlimited data on my plan...but I don't even care that much because I rarely use over 2GB as it is...and maybe that's why Verizon doesn't care either?

EDIT: I guess my point is that if keeping unlimited is very important to you and you plan to tether quite a bit, it may be worth it to you to pay for the MH service...but if you're like me and just plan to use it in small doses from time to time when you need it, then you're probably pretty safe. I emphasize "probably"...obviously anyone doing this understands the risk involved when it comes to Verizon's policy on tethering with an unlimited plan.
    I used 20GB last month and Im fine. I believe Vzw lost this legal battle and courts declared Vzw cant limit your unlimited data no matter what you use it for.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Have either of you done the latest firmware upgrade? I didnt have the message from Verizon prior to the upgrade which has led me to my concern.

Have either of you done the latest firmware upgrade? I didnt have the message from Verizon prior to the upgrade which has led me to my concern.
    No, I'm rooted, so I won't be applying this update...at least not in it's stock form anyway.

Good to know. I've been ignoring the Kies update notices. I will continue to do so now! My FoxFi works fine on my Verizon Note 2.
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Downloaded latest firmware, foxfi began having pop ups but pressing home button when pop up emerges works dandy and foxfi works like normal.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

So you think the popup is just a glitch and that they wont automatically start billing you for the mobile hotspot option?

So you think the popup is just a glitch and that they wont automatically start billing you for the mobile hotspot option?
    Not an expert, but seems like a glitch or friendly reminder from Vzw.

Just my luck!!!!! I purchased the paid FoxFi Version for me and my son's phones within the past few weeks. Our lines have unlimited data on them. I am purchasing our new phones next Monday. Now with this update I may have paid $15.90 for nothing..or at least until the FoxFi developer finds a workaround. Oh Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
    Just my luck!!!!! I purchased the paid FoxFi Version for me and my son's phones within the past few weeks. Our lines have unlimited data on them. I am purchasing our new phones next Monday. Now with this update I may have paid $15.90 for nothing..or at least until the FoxFi developer finds a workaround. Oh Well.....
    What are you talking about??? Just press home button when Vzw reminder comes up. Working for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun26 View Post
    What are you talking about??? Just press home button when Vzw reminder comes up. Working for me right now.
    I did not see the work around when I posted.... All you had to say was push the home button. Thank you for your reply.

Don't select the Verizon option to register if you do the upgrade. This will disable your foxfi feature.

Yes, this work-around is valid and has no issues.

I still sometimes get an error message when starting up FoxFi. I just press the home button and restart FoxFi again, sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times, but then everything works again.
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Mine inst being recognized by devices. I used like 100-150gb for the last 2 months Verizon hasn't sent me a warning or anything. I'm not getting any message from them at all my hotspot(fox-fi) just isn't being picked up. I read somewhere that if you have unlimited data and a 4G LTE device Verizon will let you tether however much you want.

Update,after some trouble shooting I resigned to the fact that it had been blocked. After dropping my phone and picking it up I noticed my data signal was 3G instead of 4G,instantly I removed my LTE sim card put it back in turned my phone back on and wala,it(fox-fi) was working again.

My husband has unlimited on his phone and installed fox fi. It worked for one day with my computer, then he had an update and nothing connected. He tried playing with it a couple of weeks ago and then got my daughters ipod and my samsung galaxy to work. When computer tries to connect I get a blue screen and it shuts down. I had to disconnect the auto connect to his phone for my computer to work. I want to try to connect because we are limited on our MIFI. I have no idea what it could be. Thanks

Just fyi in case anyone comes across the same problem that I did and hit this page. I tried installing FoxFi on the Verizon Galaxy S4 and got the following error message: "Fail to activate hotspot: Fail to start WiFI mode, please try again." After trying uninstalling and reinstalling FoxFi, FoxFi Add-On, and PDANet, it turns out that a simple reboot was all that was needed and now FoxFi works like it did on the SGS3. I would've posted the info over here but I didn't feel like creating yet another account. If it helps anyone, I'm running the latest Verizon stock version 4.2.2.
    Last edited by eandcent; 11-20-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Edited droidforums link

I have unlimited data on samsung Gal S3. I just updated to android 4.3. I uninstalled fox fipdaNet+ and fox fi Key rebooted several times. I launch fox fi.. hit home when verizon's message pops up. devices see the network for a few seconds..then it disapears. I try to log on quickly but it is unable to. Does anyone have a work around for this? My phone is NOT currently rooted.
    ska916jedi likes this.