soon to be S4 owner; tell me what to expect!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I upgrade from the Rezound to the S4 in 16 days. I have done tons of research, trolling, etc. I've heard mostly good things about this smartphone. however, I have also heard a couple of things that make me wary. the first thing is the overheating that a small pocket of people are experiencing. during my research, i'm concluding (maybe incorrectly) that this happens to the intl version more so than the U.S. version. of course, all smartphones get warm, but from what I've heard, the few I've heard of are hot. the 2nd thing is the screen is alledgedly very fragile, and you need to put a screen protector on it before you leave the store.

i would like to hear everyone's updated experience with the verizon version of the S4, everything from the good to the bad. this is a huge investment, and if i need to go with something else, I'll definately do it in the 14 day window. I don't expect a "perfect" phone. but I do expect a functional one. thanks in advance. ;)

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard a single thing from any of the people I know about overheating S4's. And, I don't believe this device is any more fragile than another, you take good care of it, keep it in a case, and you should be just fine. Another device I'd recommend you looking at is the HTC one, but you're on Verizon :p

All in all, I think you should be just fine with the S4.

If you're looking to save a buck, the S3 is probably just fine for you as it's still I high end device and is in no way old and unusable.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You cannot go wrong with an S4. Complaints I find are vastly exaggerated, often anecdotal and they tend to completely obscure reality, that reality being that this is a really fast phone that does just about everything well. It has a great camera. It has awesome features. From reading some posts, you'd think people were getting burned putting it in their pockets and they wait half an hour for screens to change because there is such awful lag. It runs a bit warm at times when doing certain things. It's not too bad or too long. It's not unusual. People describe heat in different ways. It also runs lightning fast. It does some tasks faster than my desktop and makes my old HTC Sensation look like a 20th century phone in speed. When you combine its features and fast processor with the great "useability" features---like SD card slot, removable batteries, big screen--I think it is the best on the market. It was for me. NB: I don't use Verizon.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard a single thing from any of the people I know about overheating S4's. And, I don't believe this device is any more fragile than another, you take good care of it, keep it in a case, and you should be just fine. Another device I'd recommend you looking at is the HTC one, but you're on Verizon :p

All in all, I think you should be just fine with the S4.

If you're looking to save a buck, the S3 is probably just fine for you as it's still I high end device and is in no way old and unusable.

I had actually considered the S3, but my finances changed for the better. if the S4 fails, I'd probably go with the Note 2, but I agree, the S3 is definately still in the game if all else fails.

thedean0375

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a rezound myself, the larger size did take some getting use to. Compared to the rezound the s4 is much cooler. I remember using the rezound while charging would make it overheat. The s4 it much better at this.

Posted via Android Central App

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a rezound myself, the larger size did take some getting use to. Compared to the rezound the s4 is much cooler. I remember using the rezound while charging would make it overheat. The s4 it much better at this.

Posted via Android Central App

my rezound only gets hot when I play candy crush too long! it will tend to get a bit warm while streaming netflix for like 20-25 minutes, but again, I expect that from any smartphone. what I had been reading was the S4 was getting too hot to even hold, or make a phone call. like another post above said, that part is probably exagerrated.

badassnut

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I upgrade from the Rezound to the S4 in 16 days. I have done tons of research, trolling, etc. I've heard mostly good things about this smartphone. however, I have also heard a couple of things that make me wary. the first thing is the overheating that a small pocket of people are experiencing. during my research, i'm concluding (maybe incorrectly) that this happens to the intl version more so than the U.S. version. of course, all smartphones get warm, but from what I've heard, the few I've heard of are hot. the 2nd thing is the screen is alledgedly very fragile, and you need to put a screen protector on it before you leave the store.

i would like to hear everyone's updated experience with the verizon version of the S4, everything from the good to the bad. this is a huge investment, and if i need to go with something else, I'll definately do it in the 14 day window. I don't expect a "perfect" phone. but I do expect a functional one. thanks in advance. ;)

Its features are great. At first I was thinking all the extras this phone has on it were gimmicky but I was wrong. I was an old iPhone user and now am swayed towards the Android side of the fence after a week.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Being an S4 user, I find that the S4 is better than my Note in terms of features, specifications and performance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

aspirereca

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Moving from note2 to S4...definitely faster and better graphic processing....noticeably when playing games..5" is really fit in my hand instead of 5.5" of note2....

Ray Josephs

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
In three weeks time I'm on my third GS4
The first would have start-up issues where I would have to remove the battery to boot it up. Then, the lock screen, when I entered my 4 digit code it would severely lag or not respond. At times the lower right corner of the screen would go black, remove battery to get it back but then there would be a black vertical line about two inches. Also, the dialing key pad showed extreme lag, completely go black or at times when I touched a number once it would show up a second or two after or it would show up multiple times!
On to number Two GS4 that came from the same store...pretty much all the above started happening again. Later that night I spent over an hour with a Tier-3 Verizon tech (very nice fella) that had me go all through the device checking different systems etc...he deemed it defective, he was sorry about all my time spent, aggravation etc with the problems I experienced. He told me to go get another GS4 from a different Corporate Store. The Tech also extended my 14 day trial period to 7/14/13 After that date I'm under a two year contract.

Currently I'm with number 3 GS4...the key pad is again very glitchy in that it lags or repeats numbers pushed. Same goes for the dialing key pad but that's more exaggerated. Also, when recording a video, the playback will freeze every couple of seconds.
While speaking to the Teir-3 tech he more or less agreed there could be a bad batch in my area.
He also mentioned, and unfortunately, some products are push to market before all the bugs are worked out...I believe I'm experiencing this first hand.
Most may not notice the dialing key pad lag/glitchiness because many simply text or voice dial. BTW, the texting keypad is instantaneously fast...no problems there.
BTW, most of my 'smart screen and air gestures' only seem to work when all the stars in the solar system are in harmony...a lot of features that just don't perform as advertized.

Regretfully I must say...I don't believe this device will last the duration of a two year contract, and maybe not even one.
I may request Verizon to lower my contract to one year, at least then this GS4 will still be under a one year manufactures warranty.
If Verizon won't cut the contract down to one year, and after being with them since Bell Atlantic Mobile days (1998) I will be forced to return the device and move to another carrier.
Bummer :(

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Expect possible reception issues. My Thunderbolt and Bionic work in more places than my S4, and pull stonger signals than the S4. I often have places where the S4's signal strength meter shows 'bars" but I have no data, and sometime can't even make a call. These are places where my TB and Bionic work. While the S4 shows "2 bars" its signal is -102 or -103db. Every phone I've had stops working at -105db. This ME7 update has included new radio code, but hasn't improved reception for me. When I look back at all my "Dumb", "Feature" and "Smart" phones, with rare exception (like the U620) Samsung has always been at the back of the pack for reception. This hasn't changed in the 20 years since I got my first Audiovox Bag phone. Its unfortunate due to the many great features of their phones.

My S4 does get HOT up around the camera while on phone calls, charging, or using data a lot. I can feel it on the back side of the device when not using a case. Where I put my hand while holding it normally, its just very warm. If I consciously put my hand in that spot on the back, yes its way hotter than any other phone I have, and I can feel it immediately when I put the phone back in my pants pocket. When its hot like this, the screen over that spot is warm, but not uncomfortable. It has not got to the point where the phone reboots, shuts down, or otherwise stops working or performing a function due to the heat, so I'm thinking its "normal" that this phone just runs hotter than every other phone I have. With a case, I can't feel it on the back much.

Consider getting a 32gig version of the phone, or don't expect to put bigger apps/games on the phone due to it available memory and internal storage. I haven't wiped after the latest upgrade, but out of the box, my 16gig device had 8.5gig free. Pin some offline music in Google Plus or download some tunes in Rhapsody, and that gets eaten up quick. Download a game like Asphalt 7 (which takes up 1.3gig), and you're left with nothing. The latest update's Apps2SD support doesn't help much to alleviate this issue. While it can move the APP to SD, it often can't move the APP DATA which is the bigger part. (1.2gig of Asphalt 7's data stays internal when "moving to SD").

Forget about rooting, S-OFF, etc. The latest S4 software update closed the loop hole used for Root. Anyone who was rooted and took the update lost root with (at this point) no way to get it back. This didn't impact just the Verizon S4, but ATT and Sprint as well. Samsung is pushing their KNOX security as a feature to corporate/enterprise customers, its included in the latest update, and its likely the issue here.

Due to its size and lack of bezel, especially along the bottom, be prepared to re-learn how to hold the device, re-position it in your hand when needed (like trying to get your thumb up to the top of the screen then need to hit the buttons at the bottom), etc. The volume controls on the "other side" will also take getting used to. The power button on the S4 is right where my thumb is when holding the phone in a way that feels natural to me. I have to adjust how I hold it. I often feel like I'm going to drop the S4 when I have to re-position it to get between the top and bottom of the screen, and often hit the back or home button when trying to catch it. My hands are average size for someone who is 6' 1" Some previous Samsung users might not have these issues with holding, and operating the S4. I guess it can be kind of equated driving a chevy and getting into a ford, the controls, blind spots, etc take some getting used to.

Some of my previously purchased games do not install, or work. EA's Need for Speed, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, Madden NFL 12, Mass Effect Infiltrator, Real Racing 2, Gameloft's Uno (w/Friends works, local only version installs but errors its not compatible when it tries to download extra files), Jeopardy! HD by Sony Pictures Television, Monopoly by Electronic Arts Inc (classic monopoly, not millionaire, or hotels, which I haven't tried), are just a few that I've tried to install/play which either don't work, or give and error when I launch them they are not compatible.

Screen is nice. Its bright and easy to read. The phone doesn't lag, but I've turned off many/most of the extra features. Camera quality is very nice. The battery lasts through lasts a little longer than a day. Having removable battery and MicroSD slot is nice, but the limits of not being able to move apps/data to it gets in the way a little. Thankfully, the camera app does store its pix on the microSD, so you can take more, as well as take longer videos.

The S4 also has a lot of features. Many that I don't make use of.

I do find it odd that the physical home button powers the screen on, especially since that button is more raised or flush than recessed, and can be hit when the phone is put in a pocket. Yes, with the screen on, it does generate heat which can be felt by my leg.

As for being fragile, or screen breakage, from what I've been reading, it appears some have put their phone in their pocket, etc, and later found the screen cracked. Ok, with a plastic frame, very little bezels around it, the stiffest part is the front glass, so yeah, I could understand the frame flexing a little under stress, and I could see that leading to the screen inside to crack. If you wear very loose pants, don't put it on your pocket, don't sit with it in your pocket or have a rigid case on it to provide extra support, I think you could reduce your risks. I'm using the shell/holster combo case from Verizon, even though I'm not using the holster part, unless I plan to through the phone in my back pack. The part that covers the back of the phone is thin, light, doesn't add bulk to the phone, yet adds stiffness and support to it.

Some of the negatives I've mentioned, I could overcome them in time and adjusting my usage habits. The only major sticking point to me is the reception issue.

EDIT: updates since I initially wrote this...

1. Monopoly from the Amazon App Store does work, where as the one from Google Play still doesn't work. None of the others have started working since the ME7 Update.
2. A Root process for the ME7 update has been posted, however this process only allows for Root. It does not allow for flashing custom roms. The Bounty for finding a way to unlock the boot loader still stands. Not sure if they will ever find a way, but I hope so. And the next ROM update from Verizon might close this loophole now used for rooting. If you want to root and flash custom roms, your best bet is the Developer Edition direct from Samsung with only 16gig and a short warranty (like 30 days) that is voided as soon as you flash a custom rom.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for a while now, and tend to rotate phones between the S4, Note 2, Razr Maxx HD, and Lumia 928. I had a Z10 for a week (twice) but gave up on it with extreme reluctance since I am an old BB diehard.

Anyway, Android on the S4 is like Android on anything else. Touchwiz does a few weird things to it, but Samsung seems to want to jam as many features in to their phones as possible. When I first got it I was looking forward to the thin size, awesome display, screaming speed. I got two out of three - the phone was pretty stuttery. But the thinness and display were amazing. After the very recent OS update, the stutter is completely gone. So as far as performance I've gone from being disappointed to completely happy. It *finally* outperforms my Maxx HD! It's as smooth as the 928, which means there is never any perceptible delay or stutter.

The plastic construction of the S4 has been cried and whined about endlessly both here and by tech bloggers who really should know better. I haven't heard of any problems with the plastic shell, and there shouldn't be. The material is more or less ideal for a phone. You DO hear about broken screens, but come on. You have a big sheet of glass that reaches nearly to the edge of the phone. You drop the phone, there is a really good chance it's gonna break. Screens break on the iPhone, HTC phones, Motorola phones, BB phones - every phone ever made in the history of ever. Samsung phones are no better or worse than anyone elses in that respect. The only way to make that better would be to make the screen much smaller and surround it with the nice rugged bezel. But people want that big screen (which, frankly, is better to look at that actually use - I wish VZW would get the S4 mini) and that's not going to change.

So, if you get an S4 you are going to get one of the best phones ever made. It's fully the equal of every top end smartphone out there - as good as the HTC One, as good as the iPhone 5, as good as the Nokia 925 or 928. The only thing to choose from here is the feature set. You look at the phones, play with them and take what you like best. You are not going to go wrong with any of them. Ignore the fanboys who are going to tell you the S4 is the only good phone put there (or say the same about any of the others). Do your homework, but LOOK at the phones.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
In three weeks time I'm on my third GS4
The first would have start-up issues where I would have to remove the battery to boot it up. Then, the lock screen, when I entered my 4 digit code it would severely lag or not respond. At times the lower right corner of the screen would go black, remove battery to get it back but then there would be a black vertical line about two inches. Also, the dialing key pad showed extreme lag, completely go black or at times when I touched a number once it would show up a second or two after or it would show up multiple times!
On to number Two GS4 that came from the same store...pretty much all the above started happening again. Later that night I spent over an hour with a Tier-3 Verizon tech (very nice fella) that had me go all through the device checking different systems etc...he deemed it defective, he was sorry about all my time spent, aggravation etc with the problems I experienced. He told me to go get another GS4 from a different Corporate Store. The Tech also extended my 14 day trial period to 7/14/13 After that date I'm under a two year contract.

Currently I'm with number 3 GS4...the key pad is again very glitchy in that it lags or repeats numbers pushed. Same goes for the dialing key pad but that's more exaggerated. Also, when recording a video, the playback will freeze every couple of seconds.
While speaking to the Teir-3 tech he more or less agreed there could be a bad batch in my area.
He also mentioned, and unfortunately, some products are push to market before all the bugs are worked out...I believe I'm experiencing this first hand.
Most may not notice the dialing key pad lag/glitchiness because many simply text or voice dial. BTW, the texting keypad is instantaneously fast...no problems there.
BTW, most of my 'smart screen and air gestures' only seem to work when all the stars in the solar system are in harmony...a lot of features that just don't perform as advertized.

Regretfully I must say...I don't believe this device will last the duration of a two year contract, and maybe not even one.
I may request Verizon to lower my contract to one year, at least then this GS4 will still be under a one year manufactures warranty.
If Verizon won't cut the contract down to one year, and after being with them since Bell Atlantic Mobile days (1998) I will be forced to return the device and move to another carrier.
Bummer :(

thanks for the input, and sorry about your misfortune. one thing I can say about verizon, despite their great coverage, is they are pretty much inflexible when it comes to varying your contract, no matter what issues you may be having. I guess they feel that they have so many subscribers more than their nearest competitor, that they can afford to lose a few and not hurt them at all. I know four people at my primary job who has threatened to leave and go to so and so company, with the other company's paperwork in hand. verizon does-not-care. they will politely show you the door. now, they WILL bend over backwards to get your phone working correctly, most of the time. but get huffy with them and threaten to leave, doesn't fluster them at all. I went through 4 thunderbolts before they courteously upgraded me to the Rezound. I didn't ask, they offered. again, good luck to you, but i doubt they will shorten your contract.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for a while now, and tend to rotate phones between the S4, Note 2, Razr Maxx HD, and Lumia 928. I had a Z10 for a week (twice) but gave up on it with extreme reluctance since I am an old BB diehard.

Anyway, Android on the S4 is like Android on anything else. Touchwiz does a few weird things to it, but Samsung seems to want to jam as many features in to their phones as possible. When I first got it I was looking forward to the thin size, awesome display, screaming speed. I got two out of three - the phone was pretty stuttery. But the thinness and display were amazing. After the very recent OS update, the stutter is completely gone. So as far as performance I've gone from being disappointed to completely happy. It *finally* outperforms my Maxx HD! It's as smooth as the 928, which means there is never any perceptible delay or stutter.

The plastic construction of the S4 has been cried and whined about endlessly both here and by tech bloggers who really should know better. I haven't heard of any problems with the plastic shell, and there shouldn't be. The material is more or less ideal for a phone. You DO hear about broken screens, but come on. You have a big sheet of glass that reaches nearly to the edge of the phone. You drop the phone, there is a really good chance it's gonna break. Screens break on the iPhone, HTC phones, Motorola phones, BB phones - every phone ever made in the history of ever. Samsung phones are no better or worse than anyone elses in that respect. The only way to make that better would be to make the screen much smaller and surround it with the nice rugged bezel. But people want that big screen (which, frankly, is better to look at that actually use - I wish VZW would get the S4 mini) and that's not going to change.

So, if you get an S4 you are going to get one of the best phones ever made. It's fully the equal of every top end smartphone out there - as good as the HTC One, as good as the iPhone 5, as good as the Nokia 925 or 928. The only thing to choose from here is the feature set. You look at the phones, play with them and take what you like best. You are not going to go wrong with any of them. Ignore the fanboys who are going to tell you the S4 is the only good phone put there (or say the same about any of the others). Do your homework, but LOOK at the phones.

actually, the plastic build of the phone is way down on the list of "cons" for me. i've already purchased a Spigen slim armor case, which should give me decent protection. I'm not typically a phone dropper, so that should be fine. I've learned more and more about smartphones each time I've upgraded, with the Tbolt being my biggest mistake. I bought the HTC Eris first about 6 years ago, and that was my first smartphone. I did zero research on it, and was mostly satisfied with it. but the Tbolt, ugghh. I had immediate buyers remorse, and regret that I didn't wait three more months for the first verizon nexus phone, or Razr Maxx. with that being said, I have reseached my next phone so much my head hurts, and HTC is not on my list. The Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD are my only other alternatives if the S4 happens to be a flop. but we will see!!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
actually, the plastic build of the phone is way down on the list of "cons" for me. i've already purchased a Spigen slim armor case, which should give me decent protection. I'm not typically a phone dropper, so that should be fine. I've learned more and more about smartphones each time I've upgraded, with the Tbolt being my biggest mistake. I bought the HTC Eris first about 6 years ago, and that was my first smartphone. I did zero research on it, and was mostly satisfied with it. but the Tbolt, ugghh. I had immediate buyers remorse, and regret that I didn't wait three more months for the first verizon nexus phone, or Razr Maxx. with that being said, I have reseached my next phone so much my head hurts, and HTC is not on my list. The Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD are my only other alternatives if the S4 happens to be a flop. but we will see!!

I also got the Slim Armor. That is a great case. I usually leave it off because it makes the phone as thick as my 928, and I got the S4 for thinness. But of all the cases I've ever used, the Spigen is the best and the best looking. You'll love it.

As for HTC, the DNA is amazing. It was smoother and faster than the S4 when I first got the S4, and it feels better in the hand. But my daughter took it. She really likes it and she loves the wireless charging. Wireless is one of those things that looks pointless until you try it. I have it on the 928 and it's great. I got one of the little Qi adapters that *supposedly* fit under the S4s back, but it bulged it badly enough that I took it out immediately. I won't bother with the Samsung wireless back - it's too thick. If I'm going to add thickness I will just get an extended battery.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I also got the Slim Armor. That is a great case. I usually leave it off because it makes the phone as thick as my 928, and I got the S4 for thinness. But of all the cases I've ever used, the Spigen is the best and the best looking. You'll love it.

As for HTC, the DNA is amazing. It was smoother and faster than the S4 when I first got the S4, and it feels better in the hand. But my daughter took it. She really likes it and she loves the wireless charging. Wireless is one of those things that looks pointless until you try it. I have it on the 928 and it's great. I got one of the little Qi adapters that *supposedly* fit under the S4s back, but it bulged it badly enough that I took it out immediately. I won't bother with the Samsung wireless back - it's too thick. If I'm going to add thickness I will just get an extended battery.

I'm being a bit stubborn about HTC, as I'm sure the DNA and the One are much different phones than the Tbolt and the Rezound. I now have 13 days and a wake up to make up my mind. I've always liked the look and feel of the DNA, but wary of it due to the "smallish" battery. not to mention, HTC seems a bit slow upgrading their phones...is the DNA upgraded to JB 4.2.2 yet? if so, and the S4 is a flop, I may consider "downgrading" to it, and sell my Spigen cases (yes, I have several of them) on Ebay or Craigslist.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm being a bit stubborn about HTC, as I'm sure the DNA and the One are much different phones than the Tbolt and the Rezound. I now have 13 days and a wake up to make up my mind. I've always liked the look and feel of the DNA, but wary of it due to the "smallish" battery. not to mention, HTC seems a bit slow upgrading their phones...is the DNA upgraded to JB 4.2.2 yet? if so, and the S4 is a flop, I may consider "downgrading" to it, and sell my Spigen cases (yes, I have several of them) on Ebay or Craigslist.

No, the DNA is not updated to 4.2.2 yet

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

John, As a Rezound to S4 owner I can tell you it is night and day. for many aspects. I'll walk you through what i have done.

1) Battery, yeah this pretty much smokes the Rezound. Even with the 2700 battery i get 10+ hours tethering were the Rezound would get like 6 before i had to plug it in.
2) Speed, This seems to be hit or miss for most people. For me I did not have the lag most people speak of. Maybe because I did come from a Rezound that had a little of it already so this was a improvment to me. I also moved over to CleanRom from scott who made the Rezound such a joy to have also
3) The newest update. Most everyone I have seen on here after they have updated and factory reset are no longer having lag issues that they were complaining about. Since I'm rooted and Rom'd i haven't done this update
4) Signal Strength since I live 3.2 miles from the Verizon Towers my Rezond got 5 bars all the time. The S4 only gets 3. Now this could be how they do the formula or it could be that they do have issues with there signal. who know

anything else you want to know just ask

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance