I can't stand the updated Maps, Google Navigation, Local apps

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
After updating the Maps app, I had a hard time figuring out Google Navigation. Even my favorite "Local" app is completely screwed up and doesn't show my various favorite spots anymore, such as say Chevron, McDonalds, etc. Is it possible to undo these updated changes?? Thanks, Casey

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
AMEN! This update sucks big time! Why do they insist on fixing something that isn't broken? Can't get to my stared places, recently found, home, etc. Getting the navigation app to start "navigating" now takes sixteen steps. Can someone please fix the "fix"?

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep I have to agree. I was travelling down to South Carolina and all of a sudden my Hotel and Business facility disappeared after the update to be replaced with BoJangles (which was next to the Gas Station) I stopped at. They really need to fix that.

danjenknapp

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I froze these apps using titanium and currently use Copilot for navigation when needed . Along with the reasons mentioned, "maps" is always steadily killing our batteries.

Sent from my LGL86C using AC Forums mobile app

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
AMEN! This update sucks big time! Why do they insist on fixing something that isn't broken? Can't get to my stared places, recently found, home, etc. Getting the navigation app to start "navigating" now takes sixteen steps. Can someone please fix the "fix"?

You may need to Uninstall yahoo weather. That fixed the navigation problem for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Didn't have Yahoo! weather, but did have Yahoo! Finance. Didn't use it, so I deleted it. Restarted phone and now I see my home and several of my stared places. Wonder why yahoo app would be blocking or interfering with google maps? Thanks for the advice.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Good news! I went to Application Manager, clicked on Maps, pressed the forced stop button, then did an uninstall updates, then cleared cache, then magic happened! My Google Navigation went back to "normal" like it used to be! Plus the "Local" app now also works normally like it used to.

The new Maps update and Google Navigation update is pure cr@p!!! Plus the updated Google Navigation was very unstable, as it was constantly giving me the message that this app has stopped working and needs to close. That's bull !!

Next time I see an update available for Maps, don't just say no to it, say HEEEEELLLLLLLLLL no to it! Okay, rant over. Whew!

Moxie Mia

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
OMG....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I followed your instructions and TADA--I'm back baby...ha ha ha

This new google update to maps has TOTALLY ruined some of the last several weeks. I use google maps for work EVERY day for my work--it's become a necessiry to meet with LOTS of clients daily and not getting to my destination has impacted my finances! I had to go out and buy a GPS, so I had backup, but since the update have been unable to get navigation to work properly, nevermind getting the 'local' app to work (ugh!). I thought that the MAPS app was the best thing since ice-cream and was SO happy not to have that crappy apple version of navigator and maps--until the update-- my location is always wrong, when using navigation, it doesn't even know where I am even when I'm right on point following their directions, there's no easy way to find alternative routes (as we're supposed to be focused on driving) and MAPS is constantly closing on me...ugh! VERY frustrating...I've even considered changing phones now.

Thanks again--hopefully google will get the hint and hear all of the complaints and go back to the original version and tweak updates to follow that format.

:)

jnaught

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, mine works perfectly and the new design is much nicer looking and easier to use, in my opinion. Just used it this weekend for a 550 mile drive - not one problem. Not taking away from your issues, just offering an opposing view/experience.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OMG....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I followed your instructions and TADA--I'm back baby...ha ha ha

This new google update to maps has TOTALLY ruined some of the last several weeks. I use google maps for work EVERY day for my work--it's become a necessiry to meet with LOTS of clients daily and not getting to my destination has impacted my finances! I had to go out and buy a GPS, so I had backup, but since the update have been unable to get navigation to work properly, nevermind getting the 'local' app to work (ugh!). I thought that the MAPS app was the best thing since ice-cream and was SO happy not to have that crappy apple version of navigator and maps--until the update-- my location is always wrong, when using navigation, it doesn't even know where I am even when I'm right on point following their directions, there's no easy way to find alternative routes (as we're supposed to be focused on driving) and MAPS is constantly closing on me...ugh! VERY frustrating...I've even considered changing phones now.

Thanks again--hopefully google will get the hint and hear all of the complaints and go back to the original version and tweak updates to follow that format.

:)

Cool, I'm glad I was of help. Don't forget to press the "Thank" button for me, haha! :) By the way, I also recently bought a new Garmin stand-along GPS unit, which I'm still glad to have. Always good to have a backup GPS unit.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
And...no MyMaps support. Rolled-back to the old maps and gonna stay there. I get the fact Google rolls out stuff that benefits their advertisers...that's all this update was about. Can't they give us both the old features and the new?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm generally pleased with the update. There's only one thing that is bugging me: map orientation.

In the previous version, if you hit the little compass rose button, you'd toggle between North up and travel direction up. I haven't totally figured out how it's working now - there's clearly a North up mode, but when you hit it, you simultaneously seem to 1) zoom in and 2) orient semi-randomly.

I think that the orientation in that second mode is probably based on the phone's magnetometer, and is attempting to orient in which way the phone is pointing. It seemed to rotate around with the phone, but would be waaaay offset from the true direction the phone was pointing. I recalibrated my compass using the GPS Status app, and this improved the direction to be within maybe 20 degrees of the actual phone direction...until I got into my car. The metal of the car threw things way off again.

I can see the utility of trying to orient based on which way the phone is pointing, but it really isn't working well using the compass. I'm wishing that when successive GPS readings showed significant movement, it would abandon the compass and instead use delta(position) to orient the map the way it used to.

coryh131

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't stand how many ridiculous steps it takes now to get navigation working. I'm uninstalling the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm no statistician, but it appears that many or most peeps here can't stand the new Maps/Google Navigation update. Count me as one of them, haha!

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
a dangerous app!. I agree with the posters who hate this app. Imagine you use google navigation as your primary in vehicle GPS and all of a sudden, you can't figure out how to do anything like find your saved destinations? Or even how to tell it to start "navigating"? Then, when you are not behind the wheel you try to figure it out and still can't?

I did hope that google would integrate Navigation and Maps, but be careful what you wish for. This is the most un-intuitive app I've ever seen. The worst thing is that to simply tell the
&*&%^%^$#' ng app to "GO" to the place you selected, you have to hit no less than THREE buttons. Two to simply get a list of routes/times, then you have to realize to hit the first one on that list.....Garmin, Magellin, etc... ONE button...Sorry for shouting. Not to mention how hard it is to save maps offline.

Thankfully I have a 3rd party navigation app on my phone(CoPilot)... at whilst it's not perfect, it has all the features a GPS navigator should. It costs a few bucks but you have all your maps onboard..no worry about being out of range for data, or complex download procedures.

. Google tries to innovate for the sake of innovation and sometimes comes up with the most un-user friendly apps possible

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
After updating the Maps app, I had a hard time figuring out Google Navigation. Even my favorite "Local" app is completely screwed up and doesn't show my various favorite spots anymore, such as say Chevron, McDonalds, etc. Is it possible to undo these updated changes?? Thanks, Casey

So far, I've been lucky... Haven't had many problems yet...

J

blewevo

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys... It drove me crazy for a while because I liked everything except the lack of my favorites. I finally figured it out.

If you open the Navi app or Local first instead of the Map-- to get to favorites you have to hit back to get to the map and then hit the little person icon in the address search bar and that will take you to favorites.
The little person icon is only available in the map view.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae