Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I can't stand the updated Maps, Google Navigation, Local apps

After updating the Maps app, I had a hard time figuring out Google Navigation. Even my favorite "Local" app is completely screwed up and doesn't show my various favorite spots anymore, such as say Chevron, McDonalds, etc. Is it possible to undo these updated changes?? Thanks, Casey
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
    804hokie likes this.

Default Re: I can't stand the updated Maps, Google Navigation, Local apps

AMEN! This update sucks big time! Why do they insist on fixing something that isn't broken? Can't get to my stared places, recently found, home, etc. Getting the navigation app to start "navigating" now takes sixteen steps. Can someone please fix the "fix"?
    Sent from my Atari 2600
    lordbear and 804hokie like this.
    Android Rules

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Happy

Yep I have to agree. I was travelling down to South Carolina and all of a sudden my Hotel and Business facility disappeared after the update to be replaced with BoJangles (which was next to the Gas Station) I stopped at. They really need to fix that.
    Rooted Hyperdrive RLS11 4.3 ROM Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon Wireless.
    Thanked by:

I froze these apps using titanium and currently use Copilot for navigation when needed . Along with the reasons mentioned, "maps" is always steadily killing our batteries.

Sent from my LGL86C using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
    AMEN! This update sucks big time! Why do they insist on fixing something that isn't broken? Can't get to my stared places, recently found, home, etc. Getting the navigation app to start "navigating" now takes sixteen steps. Can someone please fix the "fix"?
    You may need to Uninstall yahoo weather. That fixed the navigation problem for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Didn't have Yahoo! weather, but did have Yahoo! Finance. Didn't use it, so I deleted it. Restarted phone and now I see my home and several of my stared places. Wonder why yahoo app would be blocking or interfering with google maps? Thanks for the advice.
    Sent from my Atari 2600
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Good news! I went to Application Manager, clicked on Maps, pressed the forced stop button, then did an uninstall updates, then cleared cache, then magic happened! My Google Navigation went back to "normal" like it used to be! Plus the "Local" app now also works normally like it used to.

The new Maps update and Google Navigation update is pure cr@p!!! Plus the updated Google Navigation was very unstable, as it was constantly giving me the message that this app has stopped working and needs to close. That's bull !!

Next time I see an update available for Maps, don't just say no to it, say HEEEEELLLLLLLLLL no to it! Okay, rant over. Whew!

OMG....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I followed your instructions and TADA--I'm back baby...ha ha ha

This new google update to maps has TOTALLY ruined some of the last several weeks. I use google maps for work EVERY day for my work--it's become a necessiry to meet with LOTS of clients daily and not getting to my destination has impacted my finances! I had to go out and buy a GPS, so I had backup, but since the update have been unable to get navigation to work properly, nevermind getting the 'local' app to work (ugh!). I thought that the MAPS app was the best thing since ice-cream and was SO happy not to have that crappy apple version of navigator and maps--until the update-- my location is always wrong, when using navigation, it doesn't even know where I am even when I'm right on point following their directions, there's no easy way to find alternative routes (as we're supposed to be focused on driving) and MAPS is constantly closing on me...ugh! VERY frustrating...I've even considered changing phones now.

Thanks again--hopefully google will get the hint and hear all of the complaints and go back to the original version and tweak updates to follow that format.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I don't know, mine works perfectly and the new design is much nicer looking and easier to use, in my opinion. Just used it this weekend for a 550 mile drive - not one problem. Not taking away from your issues, just offering an opposing view/experience.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Mia View Post
    OMG....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I followed your instructions and TADA--I'm back baby...ha ha ha

This new google update to maps has TOTALLY ruined some of the last several weeks. I use google maps for work EVERY day for my work--it's become a necessiry to meet with LOTS of clients daily and not getting to my destination has impacted my finances! I had to go out and buy a GPS, so I had backup, but since the update have been unable to get navigation to work properly, nevermind getting the 'local' app to work (ugh!). I thought that the MAPS app was the best thing since ice-cream and was SO happy not to have that crappy apple version of navigator and maps--until the update-- my location is always wrong, when using navigation, it doesn't even know where I am even when I'm right on point following their directions, there's no easy way to find alternative routes (as we're supposed to be focused on driving) and MAPS is constantly closing on me...ugh! VERY frustrating...I've even considered changing phones now.

Thanks again--hopefully google will get the hint and hear all of the complaints and go back to the original version and tweak updates to follow that format.

Cool, I'm glad I was of help. Don't forget to press the "Thank" button for me, haha! :-) By the way, I also recently bought a new Garmin stand-along GPS unit, which I'm still glad to have. Always good to have a backup GPS unit.

And...no MyMaps support. Rolled-back to the old maps and gonna stay there. I get the fact Google rolls out stuff that benefits their advertisers...that's all this update was about. Can't they give us both the old features and the new?

I'm not happy about the new design especially losing Lattitude.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

I'm generally pleased with the update. There's only one thing that is bugging me: map orientation.

In the previous version, if you hit the little compass rose button, you'd toggle between North up and travel direction up. I haven't totally figured out how it's working now - there's clearly a North up mode, but when you hit it, you simultaneously seem to 1) zoom in and 2) orient semi-randomly.

I think that the orientation in that second mode is probably based on the phone's magnetometer, and is attempting to orient in which way the phone is pointing. It seemed to rotate around with the phone, but would be waaaay offset from the true direction the phone was pointing. I recalibrated my compass using the GPS Status app, and this improved the direction to be within maybe 20 degrees of the actual phone direction...until I got into my car. The metal of the car threw things way off again.

I can see the utility of trying to orient based on which way the phone is pointing, but it really isn't working well using the compass. I'm wishing that when successive GPS readings showed significant movement, it would abandon the compass and instead use delta(position) to orient the map the way it used to.
    Thanked by:

I can't stand how many ridiculous steps it takes now to get navigation working. I'm uninstalling the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I'm no statistician, but it appears that many or most peeps here can't stand the new Maps/Google Navigation update. Count me as one of them, haha!
    Thanked by 2:
    bisonator likes this.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

+ 1,2,3,4 etc

Posted via Android Central App
    DocB1973
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy III

a dangerous app!. I agree with the posters who hate this app. Imagine you use google navigation as your primary in vehicle GPS and all of a sudden, you can't figure out how to do anything like find your saved destinations? Or even how to tell it to start "navigating"? Then, when you are not behind the wheel you try to figure it out and still can't?

I did hope that google would integrate Navigation and Maps, but be careful what you wish for. This is the most un-intuitive app I've ever seen. The worst thing is that to simply tell the
    &*&%^%^$#' ng app to "GO" to the place you selected, you have to hit no less than THREE buttons. Two to simply get a list of routes/times, then you have to realize to hit the first one on that list.....Garmin, Magellin, etc... ONE button...Sorry for shouting. Not to mention how hard it is to save maps offline.

Thankfully I have a 3rd party navigation app on my phone(CoPilot)... at whilst it's not perfect, it has all the features a GPS navigator should. It costs a few bucks but you have all your maps onboard..no worry about being out of range for data, or complex download procedures.

. Google tries to innovate for the sake of innovation and sometimes comes up with the most un-user friendly apps possible

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    After updating the Maps app, I had a hard time figuring out Google Navigation. Even my favorite "Local" app is completely screwed up and doesn't show my various favorite spots anymore, such as say Chevron, McDonalds, etc. Is it possible to undo these updated changes?? Thanks, Casey
    So far, I've been lucky... Haven't had many problems yet...

J

Hey guys... It drove me crazy for a while because I liked everything except the lack of my favorites. I finally figured it out.

If you open the Navi app or Local first instead of the Map-- to get to favorites you have to hit back to get to the map and then hit the little person icon in the address search bar and that will take you to favorites.
    The little person icon is only available in the map view.

Casey, you my hero! you gave me back my sanity!
    Casey Cheung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blewevo View Post
    Hey guys... It drove me crazy for a while because I liked everything except the lack of my favorites. I finally figured it out.

If you open the Navi app or Local first instead of the Map-- to get to favorites you have to hit back to get to the map and then hit the little person icon in the address search bar and that will take you to favorites.
    The little person icon is only available in the map view.
    You obviously love to click buttons. This new app is horrible. Completely ruined my day the first day it showed up.

Thank you Casey!
    Casey Cheung and samkatz like this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McCuistion View Post
    You obviously love to click buttons. This new app is horrible. Completely ruined my day the first day it showed up.

Thank you Casey!
    You're welcome! I'd be more peeved at Google, if not for the fact that Google is offering free wifi service to 31 different parks in San Francisco. I use Google daily to automatically and wirelessly synchronize my contacts and calendar from my smartphone to my Google account. Google does a lot of things right. But the current Maps/Navigation update is truly p!ss poor. For those who love the current update, they must really like clicking on extra buttons! Haha! When I'm driving, I want to get from point A to B in as few keystrokes and clicks as humanly possible. Obviously, we shouldn't be manipulating a device while driving, so trying to figure out how to navigate with additional clicking and keystrokes doesn't improve one's driving safety any, haha!
    orangecatrider likes this.

ummmmmm. ok

Yeah, I too was irritated with the new maps update, so I immediately reverted back to the factory version.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    ... For those who love the current update, they must really like clicking on extra buttons! Haha! When I'm driving, I want to get from point A to B in as few keystrokes and clicks as humanly possible. Obviously, we shouldn't be manipulating a device while driving, so trying to figure out how to navigate with additional clicking and keystrokes doesn't improve one's driving safety any, haha!
    Well said. That pretty much sums up the debate for me as well. One of the great features of the previous app was the ability to add the Nav button option to the search result. From the time you searched to the time you were navigating you only had to touch the screen twice. That's very important in a moving vehicle. The less I have to interact with my phone while I'm driving the better. The new app isn't horrible but it does require more clicks and more of my attention when I'm driving and that's not a good thing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast