Software Update Available -- what is it?

RLangerman

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon S4 is telling me to tap to install new software. Anyone have any idea what the update is?

My current software is Android 4.2.2. Kernel version 3.4.0-562219. Build number JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK.

I'd sort of like to know what the update does before I install it.

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Does this lock out the Rooting of the Device?

Anything beyond the base stock image that came on the original device will look to lock your bootloader and stop root from being granted. This might change with future releases, but I wouldn't count on it. So don't apply it if you want to keep Root. I'm guessing we will see a new Rooted version of the upgrade available from XDA and RootzWiki in the future.

Xxw0lfxX

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
It keeps reminding me there is a update every 4-5 minutes. Is there a way to disable this? I want to root, just haven't gotten around to it.

uploadfromtaptalk1374062899017.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.

miller3078

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Anything beyond the base stock image that came on the original device will look to lock your bootloader and stop root from being granted. This might change with future releases, but I wouldn't count on it. So don't apply it if you want to keep Root. I'm guessing we will see a new Rooted version of the upgrade available from XDA and RootzWiki in the future.

Has it been confirmed you can keep root on the S4 with voodoo ota? I used it all the time with my bionic, but didn't think it was compatible with samsung. The only reason I ask is because someone mentioned it in another post in the Verizon forum.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does this lock out the Rooting of the Device?

Has it been confirmed you can keep root on the S4 with voodoo ota? I used it all the time with my bionic, but didn't think it was compatible with samsung. The only reason I ask is because someone mentioned it in another post in the Verizon forum.

Posted via Android Central App

IF YOU ARE ROOTED NOW OR EVER WANT TO ROOT YOUR GS4 IN THE FUTURE, DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!

It has been confirmed that not only does this update cause you to lose root, it also breaks the current exploit used to gain root, so if you have applied the update, there is no known way to root your phone at this time!

It may be possible that apps like root keeper or voodoo *may* work and allow you keep root if you take the OTA (I honestly don't know), however this could cause a lot of problems and it's most likely that your won't be able to load custom recovery. I wouldn't even take a chance...just don't do it!!!

If you are rooted and want to kill the notification, use a file explorer with root access (i.e. "Root Explorer" or "ES File Explorer") and delete or rename the file: /system/app/SDM.apk
You could also try freezing SDM with Titanium backup.

EDIT: And yes, I believe there are rooted ROM versions of this OS over at XDA that rooted users can apply if they want to upgrade.

It keeps reminding me there is a update every 4-5 minutes. Is there a way to disable this? I want to root, just haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.

To be honest, I'm not sure that there is. If it were me, I'd get that sucker rooted in a hurry if it's something you really want to do.