Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray Josephs
  • 2 Post By Ray Josephs
  • 1 Post By Mark_Venture
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S4 Calling Reception

Seriously, I had no idea this "next best thing" could be this BAD for 'call signal' and the ability to make a call.
    First time ever, I just spent two hours in a local neighborhood and couldn't make a call...but I could take a great picture!
    What the heck was Samsung thinking making a cell phone that does soooo much but has signal strength/reception this bad?
    My old Moto flip worked in buildings, underground, EVERYWHERE, with strong signal...this is just disappointing.
    Think there could be a fix, update...something?
    Last edited by Ray Josephs; 07-17-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Cheryl Sheehy likes this.

Default Re: S4 Calling Reception

Don't like and are having issues... bring it back.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

I only have 3 bars at my house and can still make a call. Granted I had more bars with my old phone. You may a problem with your sim?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Don't like and are having issues... bring it back.
    Can't, return window is closed, I'm now under a two year contract.
    For RF wishing I stayed with a Moto...but nooooo, I just had to have this thing.
    The ability to make a call is paramount.
    Not sure if there will be (or there is any possibility for) updates to improve on this...I sure hope so =(

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Josephs View Post
    For RF wishing I stayed with a Moto...but nooooo, I just had to have this thing.
    Not sure if there will be (or there is any possibility for) updates to improve on this...I sure hope so =(
    I guess it doesn't do much good to say you need to fully test your device in the first couple weeks. Verizon just pushed a new update out OTA a week or so back... did you get it? Under Settings > More tab > About phone > Build number should end ...UAME7. This is the latest and they already pushed a new radio with this update.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

I think you have a defective phone. I upgraded from the Nexus which had a known signal strength issue. My new S4 is 100% better. I can send/receive calls in places I couldn't with my old phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I guess it doesn't do much good to say you need to fully test your device in the first couple weeks. Verizon just pushed a new update out OTA a week or so back... did you get it? Under Settings > More tab > About phone > Build number should end ...UAME7. This is the latest and they already pushed a new radio with this update.
    Just checked my build date does end with UAME7. This is actually my 3rd S4...the prior 2 had issues in other areas of operation. I test them as best I can, didn't think I needed to drive all over the place to check for lack of call reception. Especially when this phone is suppose to be so cutting-edge and advanced over my prior 2006 Moto flip phone. Shucks in my home the S4 only shows 2 bars of call strength the old Moto was 5 bars all over even in my basement. We have towers all around us...last time I couldn't make a call in my area was 1998! Needless to say yesterday I was shocked and disappointed to NOT have service...it was like going back in time.

Just checked my build date does end with UAME7. This is actually my 3rd S4...the prior 2 had issues in other areas of operation. I test them as best I can, didn't think I needed to drive all over the place to check for lack of call reception. Especially when this phone is suppose to be so cutting-edge and advanced over my prior 2006 Moto flip phone. Shucks in my home the S4 only shows 2 bars of call strength the old Moto was 5 bars all over even in my basement. We have towers all around us...last time I couldn't make a call in my area was 1998! Needless to say yesterday I was shocked and disappointed to NOT have service...it was like going back in time.
    I have only 2 bars at my house as well but I have good call quality and don't have dropped calls. Like someone said about I think your phone may be bad. The call quality of my S4 is no different on the old RAZR Maxx or the 2 S3's I own.

You did not think you needed to drive all over, but you just stated you only have 2 bars at home... and that did not through up a red flag? I'm sorry that you are having issues.

I read a couple threads that some have changed from Global to LTE/CDMA... Settings > Connections tab > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode > then change this... personally, I have not done this since I'm still getting great service no matter where I have traveled, even outside LTE areas... I'm just telling you this because some people have tried it and say this helped them with reception issues.
    Flames Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    I think you have a defective phone. I upgraded from the Nexus which had a known signal strength issue. My new S4 is 100% better. I can send/receive calls in places I couldn't with my old phone.
    From what I understand, the Nexus had a horrible radio and reception issues of its own. So the S4 being better than the Nexus isn't saying too much.

....Shucks in my home the S4 only shows 2 bars of call strength the old Moto was 5 bars all over even in my basement...
    "Bars" only mean something if you are in need of a drink...

But seriously, you can't use "Bars" to compare signal strengths on two phones. You have to compare RSSI values. Try an app like CDMA Field Test running on both phones, or go into the phone's menus to see if you can view the RSSI values.

Comparing signal strength via CDMA Field test, my Moto Bionic is better every where I tested than my S4s. (one retail, one from Verizon VES Demo program). Anecdotally, my S4 drops calls and said "no data connection" (in chrome or other apps), in places my Bionic, iPhone 5, Z10, Q10 and Thunderbolt work just fine. Unfortunately, the new radio code in the ME7 update to my S4 hasn't improved things. Thankfully for me, the S4 is one of my many work phones. So when my testing is complete, it can switch to something else.

Based on all the cell phones I've had/used for both personal and work, Samsung has usually had the worst reception. The U620 was the only one that had very good reception.
    SoCalBIGmike likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You did not think you needed to drive all over, but you just stated you only have 2 bars at home... and that did not through up a red flag? I'm sorry that you are having issues.

I read a couple threads that some have changed from Global to LTE/CDMA... Settings > Connections tab > More networks > Mobile networks > Network mode > then change this... personally, I have not done this since I'm still getting great service no matter where I have traveled, even outside LTE areas... I'm just telling you this because some people have tried it and say this helped them with reception issues.
    Well, once in my huse in a way it did but never dropped a call and I was able to make calls. When I questioned the reception at my local Verizon store the rep assured me 1-2 bars of S4 signal strength equaled 5 on the my old Moto > not true, and now too late.
    Yesterday for two hours in a local town my S4 couldn't make a call...disappointing and surprised. Had this happened a day sooner I would have immediately switched it for the Moto Droid HD RAZOR.
    *thanks for the tip about "Global to LTE/CDMA settings"...suppose I'll have to give it a try.

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Do you have insurance on the phone? If so? Take it back and have Verizon check it out

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Do you have insurance on the phone? If so? Take it back and have Verizon check it out

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One
    No "insurance" but, because my first two S4's were acting up in other areas Verizon gave me a two year warranty. I believe all this does is exchange it for a refurbished unit.
    I'll try the suggested mod and if this doesn't help I'll reach out to a Verizon Tier-3 tech.
    While on my prior S4's the Tier-3 tech walked me through almost an hours worth of diagnostics and then deemed my prior phones bad. I must say he was great to work with.