need help with notifications not sounding?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My mom has new s4 on verizon and she is on a response team where she gets important messages texted by 911 on her cellphone. They send the messages currently to herphonenumber@vtext.com. She would like to set this to a different ring tone so she knows its urgent just this address but each time they send a message out it comes from a different set of numbers. Verizon stores say this is not possible to do at this time. We then tryed to create a work around by having the messages come to her gmail account and create a filter that anytime it came from that 911 address it would forward as a text. We then created a contact in the phone called 911_alert and assigned it her contact texting address with no luck in tripping a unique notification sound. Next we tried to created a filter that said anytime it was from 911 to place in priority inbox and set off unique notification with no luck. The thing we can't figure out on the phone is when I go to my name and change the notification tone , save then send my mom a text it goes to the default sound. We can't for the life of us to get it to change the sound. When looking at the settings>notif> change sound it won't change for anything coming in there has to be another location to change these sounds. The name changes but not the sound it stays default. we rebooted the phone with no luck. The other idea was to create another gmail account and assign it a notification and give that address to the 911 dispatchers database.
2nd part we have been using Zedge app for new notifications and ringtones. When going to settings>sounds> notific> we don't see any of the new sounds we downloaded .We can find the ringtones but not the notifications only the default samsung ones.
I was also told another work around could be to create a new gmail account for and give that to 911 giving that email account a different notification sound really don't want to setup another email address just to assign a different notification sound.

help please.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Setting up a 2nd Gmail account specifically for these emergency messages is probably the best bet, and kind of makes sense--is there a reason why you'd rather not? Setting up a 2nd account is pretty straightforward, can still belong to your mother, and won't be cluttered up by any other extraneous garbage since it'll be exclusively used for the response team messages.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
We can setup the 2nd account but why can't I get the notifications to change when I make a change to a contact?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this suggestion will work, but I really like using a program called Tasker. It does cost a couple dollars, but you can do a lot with it. I just googled: tasker received text message

I found this: How to create an SMS triggered wake up alarm in Tasker... you should be able to trigger a specific ringtone instead of an alarm for a specific contact... even setup a delay, so the default notification goes off, then a few seconds later have the special alert sound go off. It's just an idea. You don't have to be rooted or anything to get these things to work... there are a few extra things that rooting can give you, but to create a profile to be triggered by a new SMS message from a specific contact is possible. Check out the link.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it isn't one contact that is sending messages--it's multiple contacts sending messages to the same address (the vtext.com address), and the OP is trying to trigger a unique notification sound whenever that vtext.com address is contacted. Can Tasker do that? I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We can setup the 2nd account but why can't I get the notifications to change when I make a change to a contact?

Sorry, not sure I understand your question. Are you asking why you can't just assign a different notification sound to a contact in the stock contact app? I think it just isn't a supported feature.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that it isn't one contact that is sending messages--it's multiple contacts sending messages to the same address (the vtext.com address), and the OP is trying to trigger a unique notification sound whenever that vtext.com address is contacted. Can Tasker do that? I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

When you select a new Profile > Phone > Received Text > you can then select "A Single Contact," "Any Favourite Contact," or "Any Contact"... if they had all the contacts set as their Fav then it could be multiple contacts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would help to know if the various numbers that send these emergency messages are a fixed set of numbers, or if they're more random. If it's a fixed set, then I agree, enter all of those numbers into your contacts as a group, and assign a separate notification sound for them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I tryed fire alerts 2 app suggested by another friend who uses it and it didn't work. I am working with the owner to figure out if we can get it to work. I did setup a 2nd gmail and it works for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36