Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chetan Takyar
  • 1 Post By japetty
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Hello everyone,

    I have a Verizon Galaxy S4, but I am not using it for my phone, but I would like to update to android 4.3. Is there any way of doing this manually?( It is rooted)

    Thanks.

    Charlie
  2. #2  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by charliem38 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I have a Verizon Galaxy S4, but I am not using it for my phone, but I would like to update to android 4.3. Is there any way of doing this manually?( It is rooted)

    Thanks.

    Charlie
    I guess I will through in my 2 cents... someone has to make a version of Android 4.3 that will run on the processor and device setup. That sounds like you might have to wait the Verizon Developer S4 version to get this, or some very smart developers to do this just for the Verizon S4... this is the only way to get the correct radio and ROM to work on your device. If it was me I'd be monitoring the XDA forums and watch the discussions going on over there to see if it's possible or anyone is working on that over there since they are ones that will know how to get this to work. And of course there is always the strong possibility of bricking your phone since it's not going to any kind of official version or something that is close to official for this device.

    Again, that is just my 2 cents on the topic.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  3. #3  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    My 2 cents: don't do it!

    There have been masses of problems with 4.3. The consensus on Phandroid is that it's a duff version that should be avoided - there actually a rumour Google released the wrong cut of the software. Personally, although the update downloaded to my phone (Nexus 4) last night, I still haven't pulled the trigger on it and am going to wait for 4.3.1 or whatever Google releases to address some of the myriad issues people have been having.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
    My 2 cents: don't do it!

    There have been masses of problems with 4.3. The consensus on Phandroid is that it's a duff version that should be avoided - there actually a rumour Google released the wrong cut of the software. Personally, although the update downloaded to my phone (Nexus 4) last night, I still haven't pulled the trigger on it and am going to wait for 4.3.1 or whatever Google releases to address some of the myriad issues people have been having.
    It works just fine on my Nexus 7... I'm not a big fan of some of these other websites like Phandroid, or DroidLife (not always the most reliable of information).
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Ok Guys thanks for the info. One more question once Verizon releases it or how ever that works can I still update even though I am not using it as my phone?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
    My 2 cents: don't do it!

    There have been masses of problems with 4.3. The consensus on Phandroid is that it's a duff version that should be avoided - there actually a rumour Google released the wrong cut of the software. Personally, although the update downloaded to my phone (Nexus 4) last night, I still haven't pulled the trigger on it and am going to wait for 4.3.1 or whatever Google releases to address some of the myriad issues people have been having.
    You are so so wrong, I can't believe you are claiming these things without trying 4.3 it is hardly buggy. Stop posting BS please.

    Posted via Android Central App
    bmyers_az likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by charliem38 View Post
    Ok Guys thanks for the info. One more question once Verizon releases it or how ever that works can I still update even though I am not using it as my phone?
    Since you are rooted I'm sure when it's official there will plenty of download files available... just be sure you download from a reliable source.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Ok thanks I will have to a eye out.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    You are so so wrong, I can't believe you are claiming these things without trying 4.3 it is hardly buggy. Stop posting BS please.

    Posted via Android Central App
    From what see with 4.3 on my NEXUS 10 you are very correct. I have seen 0 issues with 4.3.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
    My 2 cents: don't do it!

    There have been masses of problems with 4.3. The consensus on Phandroid is that it's a duff version that should be avoided - there actually a rumour Google released the wrong cut of the software. Personally, although the update downloaded to my phone (Nexus 4) last night, I still haven't pulled the trigger on it and am going to wait for 4.3.1 or whatever Google releases to address some of the myriad issues people have been having.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    It works just fine on my Nexus 7... I'm not a big fan of some of these other websites like Phandroid, or DroidLife (not always the most reliable of information).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    You are so so wrong, I can't believe you are claiming these things without trying 4.3 it is hardly buggy. Stop posting BS please.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    From what see with 4.3 on my NEXUS 10 you are very correct. I have seen 0 issues with 4.3.
    For what it's worth, there *have* been issues with 4.3. Many of these should almost be expected whenever a new version of software comes out, including things like certain apps not working or frequently crashing, but there have also been issues with getting root working correctly with SuperSU, as well as other "under the hood" stuff. Again, it's almost naive to think any software will released without a few bugs, and I wouldn't be surprised if 4.3.1 comes out sooner rather than later to address some of immediate concerns...but I certainly don't think that Google "released the wrong software".

    Having said that though, 4.3 is for the most part pretty solid, and to the average end-user should be running just fine. I also have it on my Nexus 10 and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

    To the OP: At the moment, only Nexus devices (as far as I know) have 4.3 at this time. The Google Editions of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 should get 4.3 updates fairly soon, which means that one could get ported over for the Verizon version, but it take some time, and it will be even more time before any "official" versions get released for this phone I'd believe. To your second question, if you don't have service with Verizon currently on your phone, I highly doubt you'll be able to update OTA. You will most likely have to flash a factory image or ROM once available if you want the update. And yes, if you want to keep up-to-date on this subject, the are a good source for this sort of thing.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: how to update to android 4.3 without OTA

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    For what it's worth, there *have* been issues with 4.3. Many of these should almost be expected whenever a new version of software comes out, including things like certain apps not working or frequently crashing, but there have also been issues with getting root working correctly with SuperSU, as well as other "under the hood" stuff. Again, it's almost naive to think any software will released without a few bugs, and I wouldn't be surprised if 4.3.1 comes out sooner rather than later to address some of immediate concerns...but I certainly don't think that Google "released the wrong software".

    Having said that though, 4.3 is for the most part pretty solid, and to the average end-user should be running just fine. I also have it on my Nexus 10 and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

    To the OP: At the moment, only Nexus devices (as far as I know) have 4.3 at this time. The Google Editions of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 should get 4.3 updates fairly soon, which means that one could get ported over for the Verizon version, but it take some time, and it will be even more time before any "official" versions get released for this phone I'd believe. To your second question, if you don't have service with Verizon currently on your phone, I highly doubt you'll be able to update OTA. You will most likely have to flash a factory image or ROM once available if you want the update. And yes, if you want to keep up-to-date on this subject, the are a good source for this sort of thing.
    I didn't literally mean that 4.3 was perfect however it is so far very stable.

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Zagg flex keyboard won't work since update of 4.3
    By yvehs in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM
  2. Problem with 4.3 update
    By Aivicx in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM
  3. No Notifications given since updating to 4.3 on my Nexus 7
    By Villordsutch in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM
  4. Bit Torrent files to Google Play Music?
    By jastman in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
  5. Second 4.3 Update to Old Nexus 7
    By Frank J Ivins in forum Nexus 10 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM

Posting Permissions

B