Galaxy S4 won't ring

Tony Onocaiolo

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I realized I've been missing a lot of calls lately and just verified why. My phone is NOT ringing in any setting, but my text messages do make sound still. What could make it do this? Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Tony

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried changing the ring tone? Also you don't have blocking mode on do you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Tony Onocaiolo

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes definitely tried changing ring tone. What (and where) is blocking mode? I don't believe it is on because the calls still come through, just there is no noise as if my phone is on silent and it's not.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes definitely tried changing ring tone. What (and where) is blocking mode? I don't believe it is on because the calls still come through, just there is no noise as if my phone is on silent and it's not.

Blocking Mode blocks calls, sounds etc at specific times of the day.

Settings / My Device / Blocking Mode

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Ashleigh1984

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tony, I had this same problem and I managed to fix mine today because it was driving me crazy...... when you go into settings, and into the sound.... right down the bottom there is an adapt sound function...... I followed that whole process in that right through and my ring tones started working again..... not sure why because I have never touched it before

lizmary671

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The adapt sound worked for me because I had the same problem. My phone started ringing in my hand. I saw it but didn't hear anything. I just got it and thought I broke it already. Thanks Ashleigh1984.

waterman46

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I have Samsung SGH-I897, I think this is an older model. I have the same problem where no ringtone is heard but I this model has nothing like "adapt" in the sound or volume or ringtone menus. The last thing in my sound menu, under the feedback category, is Vibration intensity. Help anyone?

Jeanne Brown

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine does this too! I hate my Samsung Galaxy S4....my messages don't always come through either, and NO I don't have the blocking feature activated. What is causing this?

LettrMan

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
There are various settings for sound. My ringtone was accidentally set to "silent" so was seeing the calls but not hearing them even when i raised the ringtone. fixed it.

jvedder

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
My wife's Samsung Galaxy S4 is exhibiting a similar problem: It does not ring, but shows a missed call and new voice mail. This happen with the phone sitting next to her keyboard. After picking up the phone and unlocking it, it rings fine with no setting changes. It's almost like the phone is stuck in some audio mode that temporarily mutes the ringer.

This has happened 4 or 5 times, which makes her appear unresponsive to her clients. Not sure if I should advise her to get a new phone.

-John

David Carter12

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My Galaxy S4 (on Verizon) "sometimes" does not ring, and other times does. Seems like first call in the morning from certain individuals the phone does not ring (ring tone is on, full blast, no blocking). I get the voicemail message, and when I check my incoming call log, and no call is recorded as incoming. When I check the time of the incoming voicemail and compare it to the call log, it does not show a corresponding incoming call at that time. When I call the person and ask them to call again, the next incoming call from them works fine, rings nice and loud. I just got the phone a couple weeks ago, and returned it for this problem. Tech said it was bad hardware and replaced it. New one is doing the same thing. HELP???

Kurdistan21

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello, for all Samsung Galaxy users who have problem concerning call sound, that doesn't work.You can easily follow these steps and everything will be done.
Go to ( settings ------>accessibility---------> Turn off all sounds ( remove the tick). Enjoy call sound ringing :):):)!!!!!

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have blocking mode.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Verizon branded S4's do most certainly have a Blocking Mode. Settings>My Device tap the switch to turn it on and tap the text to change settings.

Since there have been a large number of threads online about the Update changing notification settings in some situations, it isn't unreasonable that in some other situations the Blocking feature may have gotten turned on. The absolute worst that can happen is that you waste the 3 seconds that it takes to check it.

BigRedGonzo

jbl123

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've spent several hours over the past 2 weeks trying to resolve the "no ringtone" issue with my S4. I've tried absolutely everything, and was just about to chalk it up to a Kitkat bug. But then today, I received a spam phone call, and my Call Control software blocked the call like it always does. So I decided to go thru all the settings in the Call Control app. Sure enough -- there's an *experimental* setting to Remove Partial Ringtone. I had forgotten that I had ever turned this on. So I uncheck this, and just like that, the ringtones are now working again!!! Now I need to remember to reset all those other settings I had tried unsuccessfully. And re-install a few apps that I thought might be causing this.

Trisha Sinnott

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. Incoming calls are received but no ring tone. But message tone works. Frustrating and have followed all the suggestions on the website to no avail

kingeryck

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I was having this same problem. Tried every solution online, nothing. Called Samsung and tried some things. They said I must have an app that's causing the problem and suggested I connect it to my PC, backup all the folders and do a full reset. I didn't do that yet. I started removing apps that I installed around the time this problem started, then checked the Call Control app that blocks restricted numbers and it had an option "Remove partial ring (experimental)" checked. I unchecked it. Now it seems to be fine. So I would say check any utility apps that may mess with your calls, ringtones or volume.

- - - Updated - - -

I just literally posted this same reply, not seeing yours.