Thinking about switching from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S4

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been primarily an iPhone user since I got a 3GS on AT&T about 4 years ago, and after having terrible service in NYC, got a Droid X on Verizon to come back to a better network (IMHO). I had a bad experience with lag and crashes with Android 2.2. I suspect LOTS has changed since then, and the flexibility of Android and the larger screen are calling me back. I'm worried about missing iMessage and iCloud, but I'm pretty sure I can get over that. Just curious in getting some feedback from people who have made this switch. Being that this is an Android forum I'm pretty sure I'm going to see more positive feedback than negative, but I also wand to hear about the growing pains that people had but ultimately turned out to be happy with their decision. What keeps you using the S4 instead of switching back to an iOS device?

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been primarily an iPhone user since I got a 3GS on AT&T about 4 years ago, and after having terrible service in NYC, got a Droid X on Verizon to come back to a better network (IMHO). I had a bad experience with lag and crashes with Android 2.2. I suspect LOTS has changed since then, and the flexibility of Android and the larger screen are calling me back. I'm worried about missing iMessage and iCloud, but I'm pretty sure I can get over that. Just curious in getting some feedback from people who have made this switch. Being that this is an Android forum I'm pretty sure I'm going to see more positive feedback than negative, but I also wand to hear about the growing pains that people had but ultimately turned out to be happy with their decision. What keeps you using the S4 instead of switching back to an iOS device?

My very first Android phone was an Acer Liquid e Ferrari edition. I liked the phone very much because of its design and the ferrari logos. Android eclair was a nightmare for me at that time and I always get pissed off at frequent crashes. Still, I remained calm because I paid a load for this phone.

I got my very first iPhone back in around 2010, when the iPhone trend spread like a disease. Used it for like 6 months and then went back to my acer liquid e ferrari because I love to be special and not in the circle.

At that time, android was not really a big hit as compared to now and it wasn't very reliable. Game development is like at a snail's pace and many people (mainly teens) chose the iPhone whenever they want a new phone. I always laugh and stayed with my trusty android. Im glad I did despite how android was classified as a cheap alternative to iPhone.

When companies like Samsung and HTC rise in 2011 with their high end android devices, I rushed out to buy a Samsung galaxy S2 and my acer liquid e ferrari was made my entertainment device till it finally RIP (the battery spoiled and it couldn't make calls). I was amazed at how much android has changed and how the S2 actually challenged iPhone. However, it wasn't still a really big hit because iPhone was still number one in terms of popularity. At that time, I could see how android is reaching out to potential companies like Samsung that could make Android the number one operating system for phones.

Soon, it was sold away but was replaced by a galaxy note 1, the first phablet. Great device and used it till May 2013.

Again, it was sold away but was quickly replaced by the Samsung Galaxy S4. A great legendary device and Android had many overhauls ever since my first Android phone. I was really glad that I remained loyal to Android throughout its 'tough' times.

Sorry for the long post lol.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 4s and am so glad I did, and it's my first Android phone. In addition to the larger screen (my #1 reason to switch), I found so many other little things about the S4 I like better. A lot of little things that just add up to a better experience. I did have to tinker with settings and apps to get things where I wanted including battery life but I enjoy doing that anyway. I had to move all my contacts out of iCloud and into Google contacts, but that was an improvement and worth the trouble. I don't miss imessage, it's nice in concept but not a big deal to lose it and I don't care for closed proprietary systems anyway. Getting good battery life did require a few tweaks, mainly in regards to use of GPS/location services. Now it's about the same as my 4s or maybe a little better. I still actively use an iPad 3 but I'm enjoying Android so much that I think my next tablet will be Android instead.

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 4s and am so glad I did, and it's my first Android phone. In addition to the larger screen (my #1 reason to switch), I found so many other little things about the S4 I like better. A lot of little things that just add up to a better experience. I did have to tinker with settings and apps to get things where I wanted including battery life but I enjoy doing that anyway. I had to move all my contacts out of iCloud and into Google contacts, but that was an improvement and worth the trouble. I don't miss imessage, it's nice in concept but not a big deal to lose it and I don't care for closed proprietary systems anyway. Getting good battery life did require a few tweaks, mainly in regards to use of GPS/location services. Now it's about the same as my 4s or maybe a little better. I still actively use an iPad 3 but I'm enjoying Android so much that I think my next tablet will be Android instead.

What do you think of the screen brightness? When I look at it in the Verizon store it seems like the screen could be a bit brighter, but I'm not sure. Also, what else about iOS do you miss?

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Brightness seems equivalent. Both devices I've had on auto brightness and stays well below maximum. I would say outdoors in the sun the S4 seems harder to see, but it's pretty rare I'm looking at mine in sunlight.

What else do I miss? I miss the notification numbers on icons, mainly for a specialized email app from work where it would show me visually how many new e-mails were waiting. But was nice in a few other places as well. I also missed having a popup when I received a text message but I addressed that with the Verizon messaging app. I missed having a ringer/vibrate switch. I keep mine permanently on vibrate and I kept accidentally changing that setting when adjusting the volume, but I addressed that with an app called Volume Locker. I can't think of anything else. When I look at my 4s now, I can't imagine going back to that tiny screen and restrictions such as not being able to change the default browser and Apple forcing everything through in-app purchases for their cut (e.g. you can't even buy a Kindle book within the Kindle app).

I have had a few annoyances with some apps on the S4 and how they look liberties with how they ran. I got past the issues one by one but I have a strong technical background and can see how a less experienced user could be left frustrated or having a lesser experience with it. So for someone that wants things simple and highly reliable I'd say iPhone is still a good choice. I hope for their sake they come out with a larger screen size soon and address some of their weak areas in the iOS. Competition is good.

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Brightness seems equivalent. Both devices I've had on auto brightness and stays well below maximum. I would say outdoors in the sun the S4 seems harder to see, but it's pretty rare I'm looking at mine in sunlight.

What else do I miss? I miss the notification numbers on icons, mainly for a specialized email app from work where it would show me visually how many new e-mails were waiting. But was nice in a few other places as well. I also missed having a popup when I received a text message but I addressed that with the Verizon messaging app. I missed having a ringer/vibrate switch. I keep mine permanently on vibrate and I kept accidentally changing that setting when adjusting the volume, but I addressed that with an app called Volume Locker. I can't think of anything else. When I look at my 4s now, I can't imagine going back to that tiny screen and restrictions such as not being able to change the default browser and Apple forcing everything through in-app purchases for their cut (e.g. you can't even buy a Kindle book within the Kindle app).

I have had a few annoyances with some apps on the S4 and how they look liberties with how they ran. I got past the issues one by one but I have a strong technical background and can see how a less experienced user could be left frustrated or having a lesser experience with it. So for someone that wants things simple and highly reliable I'd say iPhone is still a good choice. I hope for their sake they come out with a larger screen size soon and address some of their weak areas in the iOS. Competition is good.

Like you, I have a strong technical background....I'm an IT manager in a creative field (meaning 100% mac organization). Tinkering with Android isn't an issue...it's just integrating an Android phone into my basically 100% Mac life without feeling like I'm missing some functionality that I'd have with the iPhone. Like I said, I've been on Android before with a Droid X and that was not a good experience, but I'm sure the new hardware and Jelly Bean are much more polished. Lately I've also had some quality issues with Apple products...mainly my brand new 27" iMac that's now in for service having it's LCD replaced after 3 months. Not only should that not have happened, they're giving me a hard time about it and taking their time fixing it....basically they're not doing anything to make me WANT to give them more money for a new phone.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Like you, I have a strong technical background....I'm an IT manager in a creative field (meaning 100% mac organization). Tinkering with Android isn't an issue...it's just integrating an Android phone into my basically 100% Mac life without feeling like I'm missing some functionality that I'd have with the iPhone. Like I said, I've been on Android before with a Droid X and that was not a good experience, but I'm sure the new hardware and Jelly Bean are much more polished. Lately I've also had some quality issues with Apple products...mainly my brand new 27" iMac that's now in for service having it's LCD replaced after 3 months. Not only should that not have happened, they're giving me a hard time about it and taking their time fixing it....basically they're not doing anything to make me WANT to give them more money for a new phone.

How are they giving you a hard time about it? What are they doing?

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
How are they giving you a hard time about it? What are they doing?

I don't want to get off the thread topic, however the problem wasn't that the LCD died...it was delaminating from the cover glass resulting in large gray spots that looked like smudges behind the glass. When I initially called they told me it was "misuse." I asked how taking it out of the box and placing it on my desk and using it for photo retouching was misuse....they couldn't explain. Then I took it to the Genius Bar. They said I must have gotten it wet or dropped it....neither of which would result in my issue. Then they told me I needed Applecare for this type of service. I typically don't buy Applecare until the day before the factory warranty expires mainly because I don't need phone support. I made sure they understood the product is under warranty and Applecare was not necessary unless they'd like a lawsuit. Then they agreed to replace the LCD which they told me was in stock and I'd have it back in a day or two. The next day I called to check and they told me they didn't have the LCD and it would take 5-7 business days to get, and then another 3 days to replace. UGHH. I told them to have it FedExed and then do it right away which they said they're doing, but who knows? They're not going to get out of fixing it, so they should stop fighting it.

Anyway, enough about that since it's not on topic, but it's basically left me not wanting to give Apple any more money if I don't have to.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've never had an iPhone, but my wife has one and an iPad and we keep all of our music on iTunes.

If you have a lot of friends that use iMessage there's a good chance you'll miss that. I don't think there's any way in Android to get that same functionality at the same quality.

You might miss some things with iCloud, but you also might not. It depends on how you use it.

For music, I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes on a PC with my phone. It does a great job. I can have it synch via WiFi automatically and it will even import songs I buy on Amazon MP3 on my phone back into iTunes. If you use Rocket Player you apparently get a bunch of playlist and play count functions as well, but I don't use them so I'm not horribly familiar with what exactly you get. You can apparently synch photos and videos as well, but we use Dropbox for that (which I think you can integrate with iTunes as well).

Your calendar and contacts will sync though Google, so once you get them moved over (which I hear isn't so bad) it won't be an issue at all. You'll miss having all of your stuff backed up in once place, but there are apps to back up stuff like your SMS/MMS and ways to back up whatever you want into most cloud services automatically. It's a bigger pain to set up, but most of the functionality is still there.

fotomatt1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never had an iPhone, but my wife has one and an iPad and we keep all of our music on iTunes.

If you have a lot of friends that use iMessage there's a good chance you'll miss that. I don't think there's any way in Android to get that same functionality at the same quality.

You might miss some things with iCloud, but you also might not. It depends on how you use it.

For music, I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes on a PC with my phone. It does a great job. I can have it synch via WiFi automatically and it will even import songs I buy on Amazon MP3 on my phone back into iTunes. If you use Rocket Player you apparently get a bunch of playlist and play count functions as well, but I don't use them so I'm not horribly familiar with what exactly you get. You can apparently synch photos and videos as well, but we use Dropbox for that (which I think you can integrate with iTunes as well).

Your calendar and contacts will sync though Google, so once you get them moved over (which I hear isn't so bad) it won't be an issue at all. You'll miss having all of your stuff backed up in once place, but there are apps to back up stuff like your SMS/MMS and ways to back up whatever you want into most cloud services automatically. It's a bigger pain to set up, but most of the functionality is still there.

I have to decide if I want to move away from seamless backups and easy syncing of music and stuff. I hate to be one of those people that say "it just works" but most of the time, it does just work, and I know there are basically solutions to all of these issues within Android, but there isn't one solution. It really is a drag because I want the flexibility of Android and the big beautiful display of the S4 (or maybe the HTC One), but am really struggling with going back to the frustration of not having something work when i want it or need it to. On the other hand I'm not really sold on iOS 7, and kind of feel like it's the same old stale OS and user experience with a fresh coat of paint crammed into a display that's too small for the way people want to use mobile devices 6 years after the original iPhone was introduced. I suppose if I buy an S4 and don't like it in a few months I can always sell it.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have to decide if I want to move away from seamless backups and easy syncing of music and stuff. I hate to be one of those people that say "it just works" but most of the time, it does just work, and I know there are basically solutions to all of these issues within Android, but there isn't one solution.
That's pretty much it. Though right now there are zero solutions for too small a screen and not enough flexibility on the iOS side. ;)

If it helps, here are a couple links that show off the flexibility you get with Android. If you like tinkering with how your phone looks, Mycolorscreen has lots of good ideas:

Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens

If you like tinkering with how your phone works and adding functionality, Tasker and its plug ins allow you to do a lot. The articles on Pocketables are some of the best:

Overview of Pocketables Tasker articles

With those two resources you can make sure that your user experience from either a look and feel or functionality standpoint is stale. You have the power to change it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz