Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

Default Traveling to Vancouver for a week...

Hello, traveling to Vancouver for a week, was wondering if my Verizon Galaxy S4 would work in Canada or do I need another phone? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Traveling to Vancouver for a week...

It should work. I haven't been to Vancouver since last year, but everything worked then. I get up there about every other year and have never had any issues. I had the Droid Bionic. You will incur roaming charges for both data and voice. You can change your plan to include Canada and then switch it back when you return. Easiest way is to contact Verizon and they will help you make the necessary changes. Voice and Data roaming charges are very pricey. You might also turn off automatic updates on all apps before you go to prevent them from using data except when you request it. Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mogabr View Post
    Hello, traveling to Vancouver for a week, was wondering if my Verizon Galaxy S4 would work in Canada or do I need another phone? Thank you in advance.
    As already noted, you may want to contact Verizon to be sure. I haven't been to Vancouver for a few years (since I've owned a smartphone), but I do remember that with my old dumb phone you just had to do a *228 once you crossed the border for the phone to work (with roaming charges, naturally), but obviously you can't do *228 from an LTE phone and data is a different story.

Cheapest option if you can manage would probably be to turn off mobile data and use wifi when available.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    2.3.3 Gingerbread

Much appreciated, that's exactly what I did. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Would it be cost effective to get a SIM to use for the week? Is this possible?