Upgrading through Amazon vs. VZW store

MsRed

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've always gone through a VZW store for my upgrades, but am considering ordering through Amazon. They have the S4 listed at $149.99 vs. $199 at Verizon. I have Prime, so I could have it sent with free two-day shipping. My upgrade date is 8/17, so I think the small downside to that would be that I wouldn't get it until that Tuesday as opposed to having it in hand on the 17th. Not a huge deal, except those moments when I want to throw my Bionic across the room. ;) Would I then have to take it to a store for any reason?

Also, I have a company discount and I assume that will be applied when VZW does my regular billing. I'm not in a position to buy an un-subsidized phone, so I'm losing my unlimited data. :p I don't think that will make for much of a difference, I average around 2G usage a month. Has anyone seen a better price on the phone?

ETA: I've carried the Asurion insurance on my phone and I suspect I can only do that if I buy the phone at the store. Is that the case?

Last edited:

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I just went around and around with that myself, between the VZW, Amazon mobile, and Target mobile websites. I currently have an HTC Droid Incredible, 450 min unlimited txt, unlimited data plan. When I was going through the upgrade process on either the Amazon or Target site the plan choices were kind of wonky, Target only letting me choose either keep my existing or change to share everything (which didn't make sense with only one device). So to make it easier I thought I would go down to the local corporate VZW store and just settle it in person. That plan went up in flames when I walked in and asked for a 32 GB S4 and the guy there gave me a blank stare. He had to go into the back to check and then come out and tell me it was only available from the website.

I chalked it up to the extra $50 ($199.99 Amazon/Target vs. $249.99 VZW) was not that much compared to the money I blow on dinner and lunch throughout the week and it was worth the extra money to not have to deal with the hassle of fixing the calling plan if it was fudged up by the other sites. IMHO, your results may vary.

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
A few phones back, I upgraded to a Verizon Droid Charge from Amazon Wireless. No problems at all. Verizon activated it once I received it. I was able to continue my Asurion plan (but make sure you do this when you activate the new phone - there is a time limit on adding Insurance). Don't know about the data plan issues as this is a pretty new development.

One thing you should know: When you upgrade through Amazon (or any other re-seller other than a Verizon Corporate store or Verizon online), you will then have TWO (2) Contracts to comply with. One Verizon and one with the re-seller. If you do not keep the phone activated for the allotted time, you will be in breach of BOTH, and will owe Cancellation fees to both Verizon and to the Re-seller. This shouldn't be a problem if you believe you will stay with Verizon for the required period, but some people are not aware of this double obligation.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Buying the phone through Amazon should work fine. Once you add the phone to your cart and go to checkout you'll have the option of adding the extended warranty/device insurance. Amazon will email you instructions for activating the phone. I had the old 2GB single user data plan, and that carried over for the new phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I know the conversation is had many times about $50 for the extra storage and when it comes to Samsung devices it is especially important to consider 16GB vs. 32GB and how little space you actually get on their 16GB devices so you might want to consider that.

I do have one word of caution when buying from any 3rd party reseller for a wireless carrier, read the fine print. Buried in there are lots of T&C's that you might not consider an issue today, but if for some unforeseen reason you need to suspend the line, move the phone to another line, etc they have termination fees if not kept in place for 6 months or longer. Just something to think about.

Plus if you buy online from Verizon they do apply the $50 rebate upfront vs mail in rebate from the store or ordering over the phone. Just some food for thought.

John Smith404

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello people. I need to know something. I sometimes sell new phones I get with 2 year discount from verizon while keeping with old ones. I know there is no problem currently doing it with phones bought from verizon store. Has anybody experienced any problems or do you think I will have any problems doing it with a phone I would buy from amazon? I am concerned because i asked the same question, well I rephrased it but... I asked this question amazon customer service and they told me I cant do that with phones purchased from amazon. i dont trust them yet I dont want to risk buying a new smartphone I wont be able to turn into cash. Anyways, help me find out please.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello people. I need to know something. I sometimes sell new phones I get with 2 year discount from verizon while keeping with old ones. I know there is no problem currently doing it with phones bought from verizon store. Has anybody experienced any problems or do you think I will have any problems doing it with a phone I would buy from amazon? I am concerned because i asked the same question, well I rephrased it but... I asked this question amazon customer service and they told me I cant do that with phones purchased from amazon. i dont trust them yet I dont want to risk buying a new smartphone I wont be able to turn into cash. Anyways, help me find out please.

You can't.
They require the phone be on a particular line of service with a data plan for some number of months.
Neither Costco or VZW corporate stores have that requirement.
Buy at Costco or VZW if you plan to sell.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I went to Amazon wireless a couple of weeks ago when I got my parents' the Galaxy S4 for free and no activation fee. The Vz store wanted to charge me $200 a pop.... good luck with that, already paying too much for service.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't.
They require the phone be on a particular line of service with a data plan for some number of months.
Neither Costco or VZW corporate stores have that requirement.
Buy at Costco or VZW if you plan to sell.

Best Buy also doesn't have the 181 day requirement

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Forgot about best buy. Amazon and others are fine if you plan to keep the phone on the line. If you do like some and plan to move the phone, don't buy at Amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol