32GB S4 Dies/Verizon Has NO Replacement Phone to Send Me!!?

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My new S4 with 32GB apparently died and Verizon says 'we are sorry but we don't have any replacements for you even though you are under warranty.'

So, story is I picked up my few week old S4 with 32GB last night and the home button would only bring up the top status bar and a black screen. The status bar flickered oddly too.
So I pulled the battery for a while and it would only get to the white Verizon screen a d stick there... A few times I got to the home screen but the widgets would not load and just kept spinning cursors over them.
Multiple tries to reset failed... The rep had me try the 3 button power on reset and that wouldn't work... Anyway they said they'll replace it.
The rep told me they may not have any warranty to replacements yet so she would have to get approval the next morning to send a new phone... She promised to SMS me but I never heard from her today.....

So I called and the rep said... Good news and bad news. We are sending you a phone. Bad news it only has 16GB of memory.... Send us your phone and use the 16GB one for a while and when we get some refurbished 32GB phones we will send you one. I told her that was unacceptable.... I am using my S3 for now but I am pissed that the phone I bought failed and they can't get me another.

Disappointed in VZW Support.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That stinks. Keep talking to customer service, and insist that they do something for you to make up for this problem, like give you unlimited data or at least a higher data package for your current price. If you don't get anywhere with the first-line agents, then escalate escalate escalate. Ask to speak with the supervisor, and then their supervisor if you still can't get satisfaction. Let them know that you'll just go with a different wireless provider if you don't get the service that Verizon should be providing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would be pissed too. You need to raise holy heck and have them send you a new 32GB S4 if they don't have any refurbs. Threaten to leave them. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Do whatever it takes (within reason...it is a phone we're talking about). You could even pretend to be ghetto and use ebonics on them. Actually, that might not help. Tell them to at least give you a $50 credit (if that would be acceptable to you...it wouldn't be to me).

Sent from my humble S4

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like there is a system issue. I would recommend doing an Odin restore. If you are not familiar with Odin, make sure to read and ask questions in the appropriate section (root and ROM section )

Edit: here is a link to the most recent Odin flashable firmware. This assumes you have the me7 firmware. Do you know if you bought the phone rooted? When you first boot up, does it say Samsung galaxy s 4 or custom with an open lock? Power off the device, then power up holding both volume up and power, don't release till just after you see that first boot screen ( the gs4 logo or custom+unlock symbol). What does that look like? (If you do this right it will say booting recovery in blue in the upper left corner very small, then likely boot into a recovery).

Anyway, here is that Odin link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43420116

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43420116

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like there is a system issue. I would recommend doing an Odin restore. If you are not familiar with Odin, make sure to read and ask questions in the appropriate section (root and ROM section )

Edit: here is a link to the most recent Odin flashable firmware. This assumes you have the me7 firmware. Do you know if you bought the phone rooted? When you first boot up, does it say Samsung galaxy s 4 or custom with an open lock? Power off the device, then power up holding both volume up and power, don't release till just after you see that first boot screen ( the gs4 logo or custom+unlock symbol). What does that look like? (If you do this right it will say booting recovery in blue in the upper left corner very small, then likely boot into a recovery).

Anyway, here is that Odin link [LINK][ODIN][TAR][VZW] SCH-I545 VRUAME7 Factory Image - xda-developers

[LINK][ODIN][TAR][VZW] SCH-I545 VRUAME7 Factory Image - xda-developers

Are you sure you're replying to the correct post? I'm not trying to be snarky here, just want to make sure this wasn't an error. I very much doubt the S4 that the OP purchased from Verizon would have come rooted, and I also doubt that Verizon would be talking with the OP about trying to replace a rooted phone, since that technically voids the warranty.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure you're replying to the correct post? I'm not trying to be snarky here, just want to make sure this wasn't an error. I very much doubt the S4 that the OP purchased from Verizon would have come rooted, and I also doubt that Verizon would be talking with the OP about trying to replace a rooted phone, since that technically voids the warranty.

This.

Sent from my humble S4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would say if its only a few weeks old tell them to accept it as a return give you your upgrade back and a refund and you will either get a different phone or get another GS4 32GB if/when it comes back into stock. I find it odd they are out of stock though, I got mine on the 9th and they had tons of inventory. I wonder if they are flashing the remaining inventory that is still MDK to ME7 which would not surprise me in the least.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I called again tonight and the rep re-checked and said the DO have refurb 32GB and ordered me one to ship tomorrow, have it Wednesday.

Then I got to thinking- did the first rep really give me exactly the right keys to hardware reset? Quick Google search and realized she had me keep holding Power_Volume Up+Home after the phone vibrated for 40 seconds....now I read that you let go of the Power as soon as the phone vibrates!!
That got me to the green Android and I tried erasing cache- didn't help but hard reset and delete data got the phone all the way back for me! Yay.
Just tried to call to get the account switched back over to the S4 32GB but it's after 11 and will have to wait till tomorrow according to the recording.
At least I won;t have to wait till Wed to get my S4 32 back in action.

On the other hand, the CSR I spoke to first was so wrong she wasted hours of my time.....bummer. Should have looked up the reset sooner online instead of trusting that she knew.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, a complete hardware reset is a much more involved process than a routine reboot, which is probably what you were doing. It's not unusual for phone reps to give less than helpful advice. As I always say, if you need help, come to us!

Posted via Android Central App

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
So, story is I picked up my few week old S4 with 32GB last night and the home button would only bring up the top status bar and a black screen.

Your sort of right. Miss read your original post. When I first read it, it sounded like it was a previously used phone you had just picked up. :D

Sorry for the confusion. Odin would have fixed you, but it does sound like you have it covered. Good luck in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

superwrench1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I will never trust advice from a phone company rep. Haven't found one yet that knows as much as I do, and I'm no guru. You should, if you own a Samsung phone, get acquainted with Odin, as it is the tool used by the carriers to flash roms. Excellent recovery tool if nothing else will work

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My new S4 with 32GB apparently died and Verizon says 'we are sorry but we don't have any replacements for you even though you are under warranty.'

So, story is I picked up my few week old S4 with 32GB last night and the home button would only bring up the top status bar and a black screen. The status bar flickered oddly too.
So I pulled the battery for a while and it would only get to the white Verizon screen a d stick there... A few times I got to the home screen but the widgets would not load and just kept spinning cursors over them.
Multiple tries to reset failed... The rep had me try the 3 button power on reset and that wouldn't work... Anyway they said they'll replace it.
The rep told me they may not have any warranty to replacements yet so she would have to get approval the next morning to send a new phone... She promised to SMS me but I never heard from her today.....

So I called and the rep said... Good news and bad news. We are sending you a phone. Bad news it only has 16GB of memory.... Send us your phone and use the 16GB one for a while and when we get some refurbished 32GB phones we will send you one. I told her that was unacceptable.... I am using my S3 for now but I am pissed that the phone I bought failed and they can't get me another.

Disappointed in VZW Support.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

First of all, I'm glad you got that squared away. As a word of warning, however, to anyone here with a 32GB model, I know that with the S3's I saw multiple posts on those forums from folks that had a lot issues getting warranty replacements. Apparently there just wasn't a large inventory of them, and when folks needed to make warranty or insurance claims, 16GB was all they had to give them.

Hopefully the same issue doesn't happen with the S4 32GB...but figured I'd throw that out there just so folks know this type of thing isn't a new practice of Verizon's

I would be pissed too. You need to raise holy heck and have them send you a new 32GB S4 if they don't have any refurbs. Threaten to leave them. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Do whatever it takes (within reason...it is a phone we're talking about). You could even pretend to be ghetto and use ebonics on them. Actually, that might not help. Tell them to at least give you a $50 credit (if that would be acceptable to you...it wouldn't be to me).

Sent from my humble S4

I know you're semi-joking, but I assure you that "raising holy heck" and especially "pretending to be ghetto" will NOT get you far with customer service. No, I've never worked for Verizon, but I have had to deal with customers on the phone and trust me, a calm, polite tone will get you a LOT farther. If you were to take that kind of tone with me, I'd simply accept that fact that I was going to have to listen to you scream for a few minutes, then simply tell you there was nothing I can do...there's no way at that point I'd go above and beyond the minimum level assistance I could provide.

Also realize that you are but one of about a bazillion customers Verizon has. It's not that they don't want to keep their customers happy, but at the same time their not going to bend too far over backwards to keep you either if you're being a jerk. I'll certainly suggests that take my services elsewhere, but in this case threatening to leave probably won't get you too far. Asking to get your case elevated, asking for a refund of the price difference, or even asking for a replacement of a different phone are all reasonable requests (that doesn't mean they'll give them to you).

Anyway, here is that Odin link [LINK][ODIN][TAR][VZW] SCH-I545 VRUAME7 Factory Image - xda-developers

[LINK][ODIN][TAR][VZW] SCH-I545 VRUAME7 Factory Image - xda-developers

You don't need to be rooted to flash signed stock factory images, nor does it void warranty. In the OP's case, it may have been worth a shot, but it seems like everything is worked out.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Not only does a bad attitude get you nowhere positive on that call, you can bet most customer service calls today are logged with the agent's comments and visible the next time you call in. So you're forever branded.
Customer service agents are not your enemy...unless you make them that. Sure ask for your due and if the agent can not help ask for a manager. If they refuse, break off the call and try again an hour or so later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me tell you I have had some pretty crappy CS experiences with the carrier side and OUTSTANDING one's as well. You do get further being nice since they can wreck your day and flag your account, but you can always escalate it as well and find advocates to help you. Sometimes the local store is a benefit, sometimes it's hell. I had a hell experience recently and I know people to get things resolved.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agree that you have to be nice, or at least cordial when dealing with customer service agents. At the same time, for things like this, you shouldn't always accept "Sorry, that's just the way it is" as a final answer, unless it's coming from a top supervisor. So if the person you're talking to can't or won't help, politely ask if there's someone else who might be able to.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
All this is true and I'd never be rude, I just wasn't brought up that way, but being a brat would at least make you feel good for a couple of seconds...maybe, I imagine and envision. Mind you, this coming from a too quiet and polite person.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would think that any major wireless carrier can potentially give bad service. I've had Verizon for years, and have always gotten decent service.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have for the vast majority received excellent customer service on Verizon, though I have had issues dealing with different people at times, store level too. But the overall feeling is a 95% satisfaction rate. AT&T, in the past has been horrible, but when I was a premiere customer they were very good to me, sorry to have canceled them but it just didn't work out and their premiere customer service was on par with Verizon, say 93-95%.