Galaxy S4 Cracked Camera Lens

Steven Fein

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I don't know how it happened. Now my camera can not use flash. The LED stays on. Camera still takes pictures but I believe it will not focus macro.
Do you have this problem?
I took it to cell phone store (not AT&T). He says he can fix but will void warranty. ( investigating price)
Talked to AT&T and they said I can send phone in for repair. (not sure of price or turnaround time)
Evidently, the glass lens cover is very fragile.

rockingrubberducky

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is. I might send it for repair via Verizon/Samsung or get it fixed at one of those retail stores in my area (iFixit). Big question is price!

Posted via Android Central App

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought a lens cover on Ebay.

It took about 15 minutes to take disassemble my phone and replace it and it only cost me 5 bucks. I'd recommend doing it yourself if they are going to charge you out the *** for it.

bilaalb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey did you have to take out the camera or could you just do it with the plastic off like did you have to take the camera of its harness or what

rdmaster

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
From the makes of the video its seems you have to open the back of the phone for the lenses bezel is recessed below the main board.
In my opinion I just had this happen to me and never owned a Droid had plenty of Iphones and structurally they are truly better but Don't like the Apple policing
The S4 is truly not made well. My phone is in a defender Otter case and I have not dropped it or had objects come near it. I truly think it over heated in my pocket and took it out on a colder day and it shattered. The lenses glass is totally crap. they need to improve it with a stronger more durable product
I called Samsung and their customer support truly blows. I asked them to give me a new phone being mine is 60 days old they said no. Asked for a loaner while mine took 2 weeksa to fix. How can you be without as phone you do work with ? I like the droid features but Apple customer service truly shined over Samsung
Well thanks to the posters here just ordered the 2 parts you need both the cover and lens from China will take 15 days till I have a camera but ill give it a try if I fail i'll move on to another company
Keep you posted. The way the Samsung is made i'll keep my fingers cross with the cheap design
Hey did you have to take out the camera or could you just do it with the plastic off like did you have to take the camera of its harness or what

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I scratched my camera lens. My repair guy (he repaired the screen and digitizer when I broke it a few months ago) said there wasn't a replaceable lens for the camera so he ordered a new camera. Total cost was $34 installed of which he said $24 was for the camera.

rdvang

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
How did you replace your camera lens on the Samsung Galaxy S4? I don't want to have to send it to repair for a high price if I can do it myself.
I'll really appreciate your help. Thanks.

I bought a lens cover on Ebay.

It took about 15 minutes to take disassemble my phone and replace it and it only cost me 5 bucks. I'd recommend doing it yourself if they are going to charge you out the *** for it.

hahafmljk

May 29, 2012
Visit site
From the makes of the video its seems you have to open the back of the phone for the lenses bezel is recessed below the main board.
In my opinion I just had this happen to me and never owned a Droid had plenty of Iphones and structurally they are truly better but Don't like the Apple policing
The S4 is truly not made well. My phone is in a defender Otter case and I have not dropped it or had objects come near it. I truly think it over heated in my pocket and took it out on a colder day and it shattered. The lenses glass is totally crap. they need to improve it with a stronger more durable product
I called Samsung and their customer support truly blows. I asked them to give me a new phone being mine is 60 days old they said no. Asked for a loaner while mine took 2 weeksa to fix. How can you be without as phone you do work with ? I like the droid features but Apple customer service truly shined over Samsung
Well thanks to the posters here just ordered the 2 parts you need both the cover and lens from China will take 15 days till I have a camera but ill give it a try if I fail i'll move on to another company
Keep you posted. The way the Samsung is made i'll keep my fingers cross with the cheap design

Structurally better but Samsung's products are far superior screen, processor, and camera wise..their bs attempt to lure people in with that "saphire" camera lens is ridiculous

cooljw

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't see any replacement instructions in this thread but I found lots of inexpensive glass camera lens covers for sale (such as on eBay). So how is the installation done exactly?

Here are instructions for replacing the entire camera module, but if you only need to replace the glass cover, do you still have to remove the brushed bezel (looks like the hardest step)? Also, is removing the existing glass cover from the camera difficult as it looks like there is adhesive involved?

Ozguitar67

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't see any replacement instructions in this thread but I found lots of inexpensive glass camera lens covers for sale (such as on eBay). So how is the installation done exactly?

Here are instructions for replacing the entire camera module, but if you only need to replace the glass cover, do you still have to remove the brushed bezel (looks like the hardest step)? Also, is removing the existing glass cover from the camera difficult as it looks like there is adhesive involved?

I followed directions similar to this. For me, I had to remove everything down to the camera module because the lens cover does have an adhesive that is applied directly to it. It wasn't too bad of an operation to perform; however, I must have done something wrong or seated it incorrectly when putting it back on the board because my camera would not focus at all after I got the phone back together. But with it looking cosmetically in good condition, I took the phone back to the store and said the camera malfunctioned, without the lens cover being smashed and broken, and was able to get it replaced. I don't know if they would have denied a replacement with the lens cover being broken, but the camera really did malfunction before I tried to repair it ;)

Slamking

May 25, 2014
Visit site
@Ozguitar67, I had the same problem and I tried to take the broken lens cover out, to test it and seems like it doesnt focus porperly. So was wondering if the camera needs a lens cover to auto focus, as I have ordered for one. But If that is not the case I might need to spend some money repairing it then. Any thoughts anyone ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12