Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do the signal bars represent CDMA or LTE?

This is my first phone with 4G. I have no idea if the signal bars on the Verizon Galaxy S4 are telling me about the CDMA vs. LTE signal strength. Can someone clear this up?

Default Re: Do the signal bars represent CDMA or LTE?

Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/Network Type and Strength, which should show you the breakdown of 1x (CDMA) and 4G (LTE) signals.
    Scott Kenyon likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

The bars are simply signal strength. They don't tell you whether you're on CDMA or LTE. There should be an icon at the top near the signal bars that either says 3G or 4G. That's how you know.

Whoops, thanks for the correction, Scott. I was thinking that Verizon was running voice over LTE already, but that isn't until 2014.

Posted via Android Central App
    Scott Kenyon likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/Network Type and Strength, which should show you the breakdown of 1x (CDMA) and 4G (LTE) signals.
    This works as well.

It seems that the bars represent whatever the icon in the status bar shows. So if you've got 3 bars and a 4G LTE icon, then that represents LTE strength. It also seems in my experience that LTE strength is a bit lower all around as compared to CDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kenyon View Post
    Networks/Mobile Networks/Network Type and Strength, which should show you the breakdown of 1x (CDMA) and
    You can also download and install this app:

Your "bars" represent the RSSI (signal strength) of whatever technology type you are using at the time. So if you have 4 bars and it says "4G" or "LTE" then the signal is relevant to that. If it says 3G (which is also CDMA) then its relevant to that. Hope that makes sense!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kenyon View Post
    The bars are simply signal strength. They don't tell you whether you're on CDMA or LTE. There should be an icon at the top near the signal bars that either says 3G or 4G. That's how you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerSteak View Post
    It seems that the bars represent whatever the icon in the status bar shows. So if you've got 3 bars and a 4G LTE icon, then that represents LTE strength. It also seems in my experience that LTE strength is a bit lower all around as compared to CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Esponoza View Post
    You can also download and install this app:

Your "bars" represent the RSSI (signal strength) of whatever technology type you are using at the time. So if you have 4 bars and it says "4G" or "LTE" then the signal is relevant to that. If it says 3G (which is also CDMA) then its relevant to that. Hope that makes sense!
    I guess I'm still not clear even with all the responses. Maria Esponoza said "whatever technology type you are using at the time". When I'm on a phone call, I'm still able to use my mobile data connection to surf the web. So, that means I'm using both technologies simultaneously. So what do the bars really represent? The strength of my call signal, or the strength of my data signal?

I believe that the bars represent your voice signal. Your data signal is only represented on your notification bar by the 4G or 3G symbol. I know that I've been bumped down to 3G data even with 2-3 bars, so I don't think the bars correlate with data.