Contacts - Just go missing Galaxy S4 (Verizon)

TMeezy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got my new phone last week and i keep having issues where my contacts disapear. I use Wi-Fi most of the time while at the office. I can go into Phone - Recent / Favorites / Contacts and they will be empty. Text messages and recent calls will not have contact names on them. This will happen in any area, on or off wi-fi. Help!!

Accounts that sync contacts are:
  • Corporate Exchange using "Email" app - has about 1,000 contacts
  • Gmail - has approx 4,000 contacts

What I've tried to fix:
  • Turning Phone off
  • Removing Battery
  • Turning off Wi-Fi

Provider: Verizon
Model # SCH-I545
Android Version: 4.2.2
* Disabled apps are: Amazon MP3, Google Play Magazines, Google Play Movies & TV and Google Talk

Tony

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that springs to mind is that, with that many contacts, it takes a little while to sync them, and if it's in the middle of a sync cycle when you check maybe they're not displayed. That's just a wild guess. Good luck finding an answer.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
go to contact> hit the menu button >accounts ... go through and make sure all those accounts are set to sync when you want them to

next thing i would try go to contacts> hit the menu buttton and then hit contacts to display

selimlok

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I having the same issue.
I have about 2500 contacts but they are all on my device.

At first they where on google and was synced... but I assumed that the delay in contacts appearing was due to the google syncing.
It seems that it isnt. The issue is still there even thought all the contacts are sourced directly from the device.

This is frustrating as it affects the call logs and text messages. When wanting to compose a text, you cant select a contact cause they havent appeared as yet!
Also sometimes when people call me, there name doesnt appear, but just there contact number. Its as if there number has been deleted from my contact list.
Then half way through the call there name re-appears.

If anybody has a solution, please help.

Cheers
Selim

Mjrtude

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
THis is my 2nd S4 that is doing the "Contacts Missing In Action" cMIA or "Contacts Absent without Leave" cAWOL. Originally, I thought there was firmware bug and I asked for a new phone. New phone had later firmware but after a week experienced the same issue. I think what is happening is a sync error is occurring with my main google account to which most of my contacts are synced to (you can see if you have a sync error by going from the home screen home screen, menu, settings, accounts, Google) My main Account shows a red icon and underneath the account name it says "Sync Error" The other accounts provide informations as to the last Sync date and time.

Additionally, there is a warning message at the very bottom that reads: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly"

Upon researching this error message I came across this discussion in the forum

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-experiencing-problems-will-back-shortly.html

I hope it helps. I am first going to try downloading "Contacts Sync Fix" from the Play store.

As an additional note, I suspect that the contacts aren't able to be displayed during sync and during an error situation the device is fighting to establish sync (in fact I have seen some pretty substantial battery drain while this is occurring). I suspect this goes on for a long time before a termination message is received by the device. I have never seen more than an hour when the contacts are not available.

I haven't checked but I suspect you can set the time that sync occurs. If this is the case I would suggest sync during your sleep time.

By the way I have over 11,000 contacts

selimlok

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
THis is my 2nd S4 that is doing the "Contacts Missing In Action" cMIA or "Contacts Absent without Leave" cAWOL. Originally, I thought there was firmware bug and I asked for a new phone. New phone had later firmware but after a week experienced the same issue. I think what is happening is a sync error is occurring with my main google account to which most of my contacts are synced to (you can see if you have a sync error by going from the home screen home screen, menu, settings, accounts, Google) My main Account shows a red icon and underneath the account name it says "Sync Error" The other accounts provide informations as to the last Sync date and time.

Additionally, there is a warning message at the very bottom that reads: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly"

Upon researching this error message I came across this discussion in the forum

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-experiencing-problems-will-back-shortly.html

I hope it helps. I am first going to try downloading "Contacts Sync Fix" from the Play store.

As an additional note, I suspect that the contacts aren't able to be displayed during sync and during an error situation the device is fighting to establish sync (in fact I have seen some pretty substantial battery drain while this is occurring). I suspect this goes on for a long time before a termination message is received by the device. I have never seen more than an hour when the contacts are not available.

I haven't checked but I suspect you can set the time that sync occurs. If this is the case I would suggest sync during your sleep time.

By the way I have over 11,000 contacts

So with the 11000 contact you have when hitting the contacts button do your contact appear right away or does it take a few seconds?
Does this affect your messaging and call log where only the numbers appear and then later after a few seconds the names appear for those numbers uou have on the contacts?

Posted via Android Central App

sbsilver1

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. I have over 7000 contacts and was going crazy. Here's how I fixed it: on the native email program on the phone, I deleted the gmail account. It seems that was conflicting with the contacts on my phone and causing them to disappear and do weird changes to existing contacts. Now I only use the gmail app on the phone to send and receive gmail communications. Let me know if this works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome