Any way to silence notifications at night?

StuartWhite

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping for a way to silence my phone (Verizon Galaxy Samsung S4) at night, specifically just the Notifications. Ideally, I'd like the phone to ring for an incoming call but remain silent for Notifications (messages, emails, etc.) during certain hours, like when I'm asleep at night. I know how to silence the Notifications. The problem with that, as I understand it, is that the Notifications are silenced until I change the setting. What a hassle!! Having to change the settings twice a day... Surely there must be a way to choose when I receive the Notification sounds! If not, how can I suggest such a change to the Android folks?

Hamidd

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings >> My Device >> Blocking Mode
There you can specify which features to block (incoming calls, notifications, and more) at specific times!

** I am not sure, but I've heard from some friends, that Verizon has disabled this feature. See if it works for you or not!

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Should be able to accomplish what you want with Automateit. Need 2 rules to do it; 1 with a time trigger to turn your notification stream silent and 1 with a time trigger to turn your notification stream back to your desired volume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

gallen14720

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings >> My Device >> Blocking Mode
There you can specify which features to block (incoming calls, notifications, and more) at specific times!

** I am not sure, but I've heard from some friends, that Verizon has disabled this feature. See if it works for you or not!

Sure enough, on my Verizon SG4, Blocking Mode is not available under My Device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Download "Night Clock" free in Play store. Can create alarm clock look on screen and dim it etc paid version turns soft button lights off too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
What about turning off wifi and data when you go to bed and turning it back on when you wake up? You should still have the ability to receive calls.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Here should be a way to restore blocking mode on the s4. Like the note 2, blocking mode is a feature in the phone, but verizon has deleted the access.

There is an app in the play store....quickshortcutmaker. Once App is installed just search for blocking mode. The app will find and create a shortcut.

I don't have an s4 yet. So was unable to confirm.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/02/how-to-enable-blocking-mode-on-verizons-galaxy-note-2/
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Look for Do Not Disturb in the Playstore. It works basically like the iPhone setting where you can have a white list of callers that will ring through and everything else will be silent. Has worked for me so far.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I use blocking mode every night to stop sounds and still be able to receive calls with ringer on. I also have llama, which is a location based task manager, but it has a ton of features to do whatever it is you need.

Posted via Android Central App

Rex138

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Coming late to the party but was looking for a solution to the same exact problem OP had and came across this thread.

I just got the S4 about a week ago (April 2014) and I'm happy to report that the Blocking Mode mentioned in this thread is no longer disabled by verizon! Just make sure you toggle it from OFF to ON to access the controls but it is easy to set up and works like a charm. Was using timeriffic app on my old android but it was not working on the S4. Glad they built this feature in natively.

For ease of referene...Settings > My Device > Blocking Mode.

Cheers!

thepsychorabbit

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon blocked blocking mode on their phones. But, with the 4.3 update it was again available to be used. I have been using it ever since the update. Go to Settings >> My Device >> Blocking Mode. Try it out

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can also use Tasker

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Turn down notification volume
mydytu4u.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Someone else suggested Tasker and Tasker is a good app, but it has a very steep learning curve. There is a similar app that does a ton of stuff (like you are trying to do) that is very simple to use. It is called Setting Profiles. It is well supported and there is a lite version and a Pro (paid) version. The lite version allows one active profile at a time, which is what you need to accomplish what you want.

GL,
BigRedGonzo

k52962

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
May be a silly question but if I use the blocking mode will I still receive the notifications but just no sound? I'll still have the email/texts in my inbox in the morning? I have a job that I get a phone call for any priority issues so I need the ringer but do not need to be woken for every email. Thanks!

rpsellers

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Great tip! Worked perfectly on my new Galaxy S5 after two nights of having it wake me up about 5 or 6 times!

Thanks for the advice for all of us who needed it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith