Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fatboy97
  • 1 Post By RHChan84
  • 1 Post By starbuckk
  • 1 Post By djisia87
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon S4 Update Removes Root Access

If you are on Verizon with a Galaxy S4 and have root access DO NOT update to the latest OTA Update, it will Kill your root access!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Verizon S4 Update Removes Root Access

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSmile View Post
    If you are on Verizon with a Galaxy S4 and have root access DO NOT update to the latest OTA Update, it will Kill your root access!

Posted via Android Central App
    Sorry, but if you think this is news... sure, but it VERY OLD NEWS.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Bizzle69 likes this.

All updates I have ever done removes Root access on all my devices.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom
    Bizzle69 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    But his post is much more useful and helpfull than yours.

OLD NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    But his post is much more useful and helpfull than yours.

OLD NEWS!
    And yours. Also, you might want to learn to use spell check.

And unless you have been living under a rock... which is possible, most EVERYONE who has the device and been on this forum or any other knows very shortly after the release of the new update by Verizon that they have been learning a thing or two about the rooting process and put in some fixes. Am I happy... NO.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Alwaysmile thanks for being willing to take time to post this. Obviously if you did not know before, probably others didn't either.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4
    leroybrute likes this.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM ICS

It is a old news but people do accept updates THEN ask what happened to root
    leroybrute likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by djisia87 View Post
    It is a old news but people do accept updates THEN ask what happened to root
    Yeah, I used to have a canned PSA message I'd post every time a new update would come out just to put the warning out there because inevitably there would be a dozen or so threads started that either said, "I installed the OTA and now root is gone, halp!!!1!" or "If I install OTA will I lose root???" ... so one would hope that issuing a warning thread would head those off at the pass, but I've found it doesn't.

A lot of folks tend to just act first and ask questions later.

Of course, the biggest concern isn't always about *losing* root, but more if an update will kill the known exploits to gain root in the first place (and very often this is the case). Long story short, if your phone is rooted and you like it that way, don't install OTA updates. Ever.

I think too many folks get hung up on whole "there's an update out I must have it immediately even though I have no idea what benefits I can possibly get out of it!!!". I've owned various Android phones and tablets over the past 4 years and they've all been rooted and I have yet to EVER install an update OTA. I generally just wait until a rooted version comes out in a flashable ROM or I'm already running a ROM that is far superior to the "official" update to worry about it.

Anyway, the OP's warning is appreciated, but probably falling on deaf ears in the case of those that need to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Yeah, I used to have a canned PSA message I'd post every time a new update would come out just to put the warning out there because inevitably there would be a dozen or so threads started that either said, "I installed the OTA and now root is gone, halp!!!1!" or "If I install OTA will I lose root???" ... so one would hope that issuing a warning thread would head those off at the pass, but I've found it doesn't.

A lot of folks tend to just act first and ask questions later.

Of course, the biggest concern isn't always about *losing* root, but more if an update will kill the known exploits to gain root in the first place (and very often this is the case). Long story short, if your phone is rooted and you like it that way, don't install OTA updates. Ever.

I think too many folks get hung up on whole "there's an update out I must have it immediately even though I have no idea what benefits I can possibly get out of it!!!". I've owned various Android phones and tablets over the past 4 years and they've all been rooted and I have yet to EVER install an update OTA. I generally just wait until a rooted version comes out in a flashable ROM or I'm already running a ROM that is far superior to the "official" update to worry about it.

Anyway, the OP's warning is appreciated, but probably falling on deaf ears in the case of those that need to hear it.
    Voodoo OTA RootKeeper does in fact protect and restore root on this update.
    Enabled the frozen app that blocks OTA.
    Took the OTA.
    Restored root.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Voodoo OTA RootKeeper does in fact protect and restore root on this update.
    Enabled the frozen app that blocks OTA.
    Took the OTA.
    Restored root.
    That's good to know. That's another point is that often no one knows if existing "root keeper" apps will work either.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    That's good to know. That's another point is that often no one knows if existing "root keeper" apps will work either.
    I normally wait for the other lab rat.