How do I block the VZ update

mrwindow

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok wake up this morning and look at my phone. I see a new icon on the top of the screen.
It's the verizon firmware up date. How do I bock it. I delayed it until I could get here and find out what it will do to my phone.
Thanks in advance

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok wake up this morning and look at my phone. I see a new icon on the top of the screen.
It's the verizon firmware up date. How do I bock it. I delayed it until I could get here and find out what it will do to my phone.
Thanks in advance

What do you mean by "block it"? It won't install unless you OK it.

Actually, with a lot of updates it will only allow you to defer it for so long before it just automatically installs. Not sure if that's the case here, but it does happen with a lot of Verizon's updates.

To answer the OP's question, if you're rooted, you need to freeze or delete the file "/system/app/SDM.apk". I'm not sure if there's a way to do that if you're not rooted.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually, with a lot of updates it will only allow you to defer it for so long before it just automatically installs. Not sure if that's the case here, but it does happen with a lot of Verizon's updates.

To answer the OP's question, if you're rooted, you need to freeze or delete the file "/system/app/SDM.apk". I'm not sure if there's a way to do that if you're not rooted.

Good info. - thanks!

mrwindow

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have ULMTD data and would like to keep using it with Foxfi. I understand this update might hamper that without rooting.
I OWN the phone and hate them making changes I don't like to my phone.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have ULMTD data and would like to keep using it with Foxfi. I understand this update might hamper that without rooting.
I OWN the phone and hate them making changes I don't like to my phone.

Not that that I disagree with your intentions (I haven't updated past MDK yet), and I don't know how you bought your phone either, so please know I'm not directing this comment directly at you... but it's worth pointing out that if you bought your phone at the subsidized price, then technically you're "renting to own"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

mrwindow

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought it out right.
Not that your opinion is any thing less than anyone elses. But even if I were to buy it subsidized They have no right to alter my phone to fit their wishes. They own me for the duration of the contract. If I bail early I owe them $ not the phone. They still get their money and then some.
Using your logic. If I were to lease a car or renting so to speak the dealer has no right to modify the way it runs while I am using it.
In my situation I am paying for a "service" at the same subsidized price as a contract but not getting the upgraded phone to keep my grandfathered Unltd data plan.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I bought it out right.
Not that your opinion is any thing less than anyone elses. But even if I were to buy it subsidized They have no right to alter my phone to fit their wishes. They own me for the duration of the contract. If I bail early I owe them $ not the phone. They still get their money and then some.
Using your logic. If I were to lease a car or renting so to speak the dealer has no right to modify the way it runs while I am using it.
In my situation I am paying for a "service" at the same subsidized price as a contract but not getting the upgraded phone to keep my grandfathered Unltd data plan.

You're right, and especially if you bought it outright then you do most certainly own the device. Again, I really wasn't trying to call you out on your statement, I was more or less playing devil's advocate to all the folks that comment, "this is my phone and I should be able to do whatever I want with it", even though they technically are leasing to own and signed a contract which gives Verizon the power to do this sort of thing. I don't agree with it, and I don't like it, but that doesn't make it any less true. FWIW, I've bought phones off-contract myself, and hate the fact that you still have to pay the built-in phone subsidy as part of your service plan even if you don't have a subsidized phone...there *should* be a discounted rate for that.

The real problem is, of course, that we're all slaves to the "network", as the phone itself is pretty worthless without the service to go with it...and that's how Verizon (and pretty much every other carrier) gets away with stuff like this.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have a real answer?
Thanks

No answer for blocking the install but I can still tether with my updated S4 with unlimited data.

When the VZW "nag screen" pops up asking you to subscribe just press the Home button and the mobile hotspot is still active - at least it is with Fast WiFi Tether Free. I don't use FoxFi but I'd suspect it works the same.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
No way to permanently block updates unless you are rooted.
Rooting ME7 is pretty easy. You just need a spare MicroSD; format it and copy the required files.
Reboot with it in the phone.
Shut down and take the card out.
You are now rooted.

Easiest root, I've ever done on a device.