Miscellaneous Files usage

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So I checked my internal storage today and somehow I am using over 7gb under "miscellaneous files" I don't even know what that means, what are all of these garbage files on my phone? Anyone else having this issue?

1382666978256.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So I checked my internal storage today and somehow I am using over 7gb under "miscellaneous files" I don't even know what that means, what are all of these garbage files on my phone? Anyone else having this issue?

View attachment 88717
Everybody (with the possible exception of rooted users who have removed some stuff) has this issue to around 6 - 6.5GB or so; it looks like you may have a little extra. It's basically because of the way the phones are set up by the manufacturer and carrier. Press the miscellaneous files line and you'll see something like 6.3GB or so (my phone says 6.3GB) is for system memory (which I think is basically the Android system and related files), and the rest will be a listing of space used by various apps or processes on your phone.

EDIT: Here's a response from Verizon customer service to a similar question in the Verizon Wireless forums -

Re: Galaxy S4 "Miscellaneous" Files: 6.39GB (what are they, and why are they there?)
Verizon Wireless Customer Support Double Platinum
Verizon Wireless Customer Support May 30, 2013 7:18 AM (in response to chris_k)

Dear Chris_K,

Good morning. Congrats on your recent purchase of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I know the importance of ensuring you have available memory. I would be more than happy to address your equipment concerns.

The Miscellaneous memory on the Galaxy S4, holds pre-installed applications that come with your device. Shoud you need additonal memory than what is available on the device, you may purchase a memory card up to 64GB. In addition, the Samsung Galaxy S4 offers a feature called Samsung Smart Switch. This feature immediately transfers photos, videos, contacts, and apps in one clean sweep. For more information on this feature please visit samsungsmartswitch.com. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think that is where most of the Samsung features are, and hence why it is so large.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense but seems crazy! I am actually rooted so being rooted has no benefit to that as mine is even higher than yours!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mykl gysingr

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like crap to me. We got our kids the Verizon Ellipsis 7 tablet (three free tablets because our family plan has three phones - my wife, my mother, and me) and had no problems with storage capacity initially. Now one of them can't update his apps. They have pretty much (mostly) the same games and apps on all three, including Minecraft. One child has 2.8 GB of apps and 1.17 GB of "Misc Items." Another's tablet has 2.72 GB of apps and 1.5 GB of "Misc Items." The third child has 2.28 GB of apps but has 3.17 GB of "Misc Items." He has the least space used on apps and more than double used for these nefarious "Misc Items." This is not simple system files, and it doesn't seem to be cache. I went through the application list and looked at the cache and most all were at 12 to 20 KB or sometime miniscule. (I had just restarted the tablet, too.) I try to tap on "Misc Items" on their tablets, but it goes nowhere, shows me nothing. I need to reduce that 3.17 GB somehow so that his apps can update. Or can I just reset his tablet to factory and he will be able to reinstall Minecraft without losing info?

zahra saifuddin

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
when I cleared my miscellaneous file it deleted all my voice records... How do i get back my voice records, please help.:(:':)':)':)':)'(
I have a galaxy s4 mini.

Jpark2479

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree! theVerizon versions of the galaxy series has an unknown files taking up anywhere between 5-10 gigs of space. The same phone from a different carrier like T-Mobile or AT&T does not have this much of wasted space being taken up.

I would really like to know what they have in there that takes up gigs of space. It's almost like the damn company is forcing people to buy SD Flashcards or pay more for higher memory equipped phones. You can pay 100.00 or more to get a 32 gig version of the phone but when you consider 10 gigs of that space being taken regardless, along with 1.5 gigs from Android OS along with few pre-installed apps, you are basically left with little over 16 gigs.

It's the same as charging extra $$ for the amount of memory we should be getting in the first place.

That is the worst reply a rep can give. It's generic and so mundane. Look, Samsung Features do not take up 10 gigs of space in a 16, 32, or 64 gig versions of their phones. 10 gigs is basically Windows operating system with MS office installed. Do our phones have Windows OS and office running in them? Absolutely NOT!

What they are telling you is false. They want to eat up the memory in our phones so we are either forced to buy higher memory versions of the phone or invest in their cloud storage service which costs $$ and data.

I personally want my 8 gigs that I can't recover. Seeing how an apk files is can range from 1 meg to 50 megs in general, I can't even imagine what 8 gigs of bloatware Verizon has installed that i can recover, but rooting the phone won't help either. It's permanently taken up. I tried on my Note 2. Miscellaneous files of 5 gigs regardless. I look at my friends Note 2 from T-Mobile and there is maybe about 200 megs in the miscellaneous file folder.

Bloody GIGs of space this company is robbing from consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debra Gerik1

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Bei g a whole month of nothing, I's clear that consumers will not be headd on this
As a computer EXPERT, the is no way in HELL this 5.25 GB i'm seeing is bloatware, no damn way. It is impossible. All of the samsung apps and VZ apps combined are less that a gig total combined. Verizon has misled us, the consumer, once again. We should be allowed to know EXACTLY what is taking up our storage on the phone. If you don't want us to delete it, JUSTIFY THE RESTRICTION by SHOWING WHAT THE FILES ARE. WHY DO THEY NEED TO TAKE UP SO MUCH F***ING SPACE. I HATE THIS SH*T!

I feel exactly the same way. There should be a law put into effect that specifies that consumers have full control of whats on their phones. I am sick and tired of all the garbage added by manufacturers and app developers. And rooting your phone only cracks it wide open to 'black hat' hackers looking to exploit your information. I ADVISE everyone to look into CIS education at least a basic knowledge course. It will make your jaw drop KNOWING what's really going on on all this electronic data usage. Might make you wish for the 'dark ages' before computing arrived.

Unless you know Digital Forensics you are a little stuck there, but there are ways to retrieve almost any or all of the information you have ever exchanged, created or downloaded with your digital device. I am just learning how but find someone who knows Digital Forensics that you can trust. Because believe me if there is even the slightest chance you could be embarrassed, you will, and if its considered criminal, be prepared to be wearing cuffs in the future. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: