Verizon Galaxy S4 - Security Notice After Update to 4.3

stingray2772

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Security Notice After Update to 4.3

I'm getting the same thing... I cleared and disabled KNOX. I've tried restarting/killing the update service... it just keeps coming back. I'd hate to have to do a reset, especially not even knowing if that will fix the issue.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com

I'm getting the same thing... I cleared and disabled KNOX. I've tried restarting/killing the update service... it just keeps coming back. I'd hate to have to do a reset, especially not even knowing if that will fix the issue.

It has been confirmed by about 3 people, myself included, that a factory reset does in fact take care of the issue.

stingray2772

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Sorry... I just saw that you just posted a bit ago asking if it would work and haven't posted that it hasn't been back... I'd kind of like to see it go more than a day without the notice. After everything I tried yesterday it went away until this morning when it popped back up.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com

Sorry... I just saw that you just posted a bit ago asking if it would work and haven't posted that it hasn't been back... I'd kind of like to see it go more than a day without the notice. After everything I tried yesterday it went away until this morning when it popped back up.

I see what you're saying.

A factory reset fixed the grey shield issue popping up all the time. The question I had was regarding doing a normal reset after the factory reset. Some people are saying that the 'force stop' fix is only temporary until you restart the phone. I had not restarted my phone since I did the factory reset so I was wondering if that broke the factory reset fix as well, but EdgeFever confirmed that the fix is still working after a factory reset and normal reset.

Seems to be the only real fix at this point.

stingray2772

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Awesome... thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I'll give that a shot tonight. I'll have to try to find some way to back everything up, I know my transformer had an app from ASUS, but I haven't really screwed around with the S4 enough to know if anything was built in.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Awesome... thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I'll give that a shot tonight. I'll have to try to find some way to back everything up, I know my transformer had an app from ASUS, but I haven't really screwed around with the S4 enough to know if anything was built in.

My backup Pro
You can do it local right to the card, with this, very easy.

AutVenom

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

I think it's only doing it on known WiFi networks so I'm just gonna try forgetting a few Wifi Networks and see if that fixes it.

GradyBgan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

I too do not wish to do a Factory Rest nor should I have to. Tried the clear the cache and data stuff and it did take longer the first time for the shield to come back but back it did come. Need a fix for this irritation!

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com

I too do not wish to do a Factory Rest nor should I have to. Tried the clear the cache and data stuff and it did take longer the first time for the shield to come back but back it did come. Need a fix for this irritation!

A factory reset should actually be mandatory, IMO, after a large software upgrade. It's good practice and ensures you get rid of all old files that may be present on the phone. The part that is no fun is re-installing everything. There needs to be an efficient way to back everything up. This 'shield' issue is a good reason why it should be mandatory, a factory reset fixed this and another issue I was having after the update. EdgeFever suggested 'My Backup Pro' earlier in this thread, I have personally never used this app though.

JDeppel

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
It actually isn't that bad of an idea to do a Factory Reset after an OS upgrade. It was HIGHLY recommended to do a Reset during the upgrade from GB to ICS, due to the changes made in the file system and so on. The jump from 4.2.x to 4.3.x, though not quite as drastic, may need to have a Factory Reset performed afterwards, as I believe the Kernel was upgraded and the "bloat" that both Sammy/VZW put on could only create more issues (as we're seeing to be the case with this Knox notification popping up).

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
It actually isn't that bad of an idea to do a Factory Reset after an OS upgrade. It was HIGHLY recommended to do a Reset during the upgrade from GB to ICS, due to the changes made in the file system and so on. The jump from 4.2.x to 4.3.x, though not quite as drastic, may need to have a Factory Reset performed afterwards, as I believe the Kernel was upgraded and the "bloat" that both Sammy/VZW put on could only create more issues (as we're seeing to be the case with this Knox notification popping up).

I think a factory reset will be a good idea jumping from 4.3.x to 4.4.x whenever it comes out as well. For the same reason as GB to ICS.

blanco112

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

I think I may have found a way to go around the factory reset. When it pops up in the drop down menu, long hold the notification until it says to go to app. At that point force stop the application. It has worked so far, hopefully it stays that way.

This worked for me but it does come back after a reboot. I guess I'll wait and see if the factory reset solution sticks.

Posted via Android Central App

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com

This worked for me but it does come back after a reboot. I guess I'll wait and see if the factory reset solution sticks.

The factory reset solution does work and sticks after reboot.

Verified 100% by a few in this thread.

I'm on At@t Note 3 and get the same message.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Didn't the Note 3 come with 4.3?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blanco112

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
The factory reset solution does work and sticks after reboot.

Verified 100% by a few in this thread.

Didn't the Note 3 come with 4.3?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yeah, i guess I'm a little in a wait and see mode since I've tried a few suggestions that have seemed to work already. Then after several hours or a reboot, the thing comes back. Since a factory reset is a pain on the ***, I'm just hoping I don't see "I did a factory reset and worked for a few days, then cam back."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781