1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy S4 - Considering buying on Verizon to preserve unlimited, questioning use in Europe?

Hello,

Long story short, I am ready to get a Samsung Galaxy S4, paying full price on the phone. I currently have an unlimited data plan on Verizon, and it is my understanding that if I were to purchase a new phone outright, I would be able to preserve that unlimited data plan.

Problem is, I am often traveling to Europe, and I have the possibility of staying in Europe for a matter of months (if not a couple years). I am aware of the fact Verizon phones do not work on the same network as European phones. I am also aware that Verizon has a steep charge for a less-than-ample abroad data package (I've used it before). I have read that I can purchase a SIM card in my destination country (which is Germany, if it matters), and I should be able to use my Verizon phone no problem. But for, say, six months? Two years? There must be an alternative way of doing this.

I'm hoping there's some magic solution I don't know about.

EDIT: I noticed T Mobile has some deal where you only pay $30 a month for 5GB-Unlimited data. It is apparently a web only offer aimed at new customers who buy their phones outright. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by skaista93; 11-06-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S4 - Considering buying on Verizon to preserve unlimited, questioning use in Euro

Quote Originally Posted by skaista93 View Post
    Hello,

Long story short, I am ready to get a Samsung Galaxy S4, paying full price on the phone. I currently have an unlimited data plan on Verizon, and it is my understanding that if I were to purchase a new phone outright, I would be able to preserve that unlimited data plan.

Problem is, I am often traveling to Europe, and I have the possibility of staying in Europe for a matter of months (if not a couple years). I am aware of the fact Verizon phones do not work on the same network as European phones. I am also aware that Verizon has a steep charge for a less-than-ample abroad data package (I've used it before). I have read that I can purchase a SIM card in my destination country (which is Germany, if it matters), and I should be able to use my Verizon phone no problem. But for, say, six months? Two years? There must be an alternative way of doing this.

I'm hoping there's some magic solution I don't know about.

EDIT: I noticed T Mobile has some deal where you only pay $30 a month for 5GB-Unlimited data. It is apparently a web only offer aimed at new customers who buy their phones outright. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks guys.
    The GS4 on Verizon is a world phone, that is GSM support.
    You can get a local SIM in the country that you will be in.
    Look at swappa.com as opposed to buying one outright.
    You might also look at the LG G2, because it is currently on sale for $449, no contract.