Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

Unhappy Having Trouble with my 64gb memory card...

Ok Im going to try to make this as descriptive as possible. I got this 64gb sd card, I believe its a generic brand for Christmas. I started draggin files to my S4; movies, music, etc and some files work and some dont. The movie files are avi type and the music files are mp3 type. Please help Im so frustrated to why this crap is happening.
    thebabilonias@gmail.com

Default Re: Having Trouble with my 64gb memory card...

There are a number of possible reasons:

1. It could be a faulty or counterfeit card (especially if it's a generic brand, as you say). What happens when you plug the card into your computer? Does it say that it has 64 GB capacity? By the way, always make sure to Unmount the card before removing it from your phone. You can Unmount in the Settings>Storage menu.

2. I'm not sure if the S4 supports AVI natively--maybe someone else can comment on this. If it doesn't, you'd need a 3rd party player like

3. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about difficulties with external SD cards in Samsung devices, so ultimately, this might be the problem. Android itself actually doesn't have native support for external SD cards--the code that's used is a workaround. Sometimes that workaround doesn't work too well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

When I use the adapter and plug it in the computer nothing happens. What is the best sd card brand I should get?
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    There are a number of possible reasons:

1. It could be a faulty or counterfeit card (especially if it's a generic brand, as you say). What happens when you plug the card into your computer? Does it say that it has 64 GB capacity? By the way, always make sure to Unmount the card before removing it from your phone. You can Unmount in the Settings>Storage menu.

2. I'm not sure if the S4 supports AVI natively--maybe someone else can comment on this. If it doesn't, you'd need a 3rd party player like

3. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about difficulties with external SD cards in Samsung devices, so ultimately, this might be the problem. Android itself actually doesn't have native support for external SD cards--the code that's used is a workaround. Sometimes that workaround doesn't work too well.
    thebabilonias@gmail.com

Hmm, that's not good. Sometimes, card readers can be a little finicky. Make sure it's inserted all the way--some computers have an LED light that goes on when the card is inserted properly and is reading. Also, try inserting another SD card--one that you know works--into the computer's card reader, to make sure it isn't the reader that's acting up.

Good SD card brands include (but are not limited to) Sandisk, Toshiba, PNY, Patriot, and Transcend.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Kingston is another good brand, and the format of the SD card may be interfering.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

Good point. Many 64GB microSD cards come pre-formatted in exFAT format, which isn't compatible with many if not all Android devices. Ideally, you'd want to reformat it to FAT32. Phones will usually offer to reformat a card if it recognizes that the card is incompatible, but it sounds like yours hasn't done so. I don't think Windows 7 or 8 allow you to format SD cards in FAT32 any more. Here's a link where the topic is discussed:
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

Yes when I put in the adapter card a green light came on but nothing happened. I saw Samsung had its own brand of sd cards, would that be ok to use?
    thebabilonias@gmail.com

Sure, Samsung brand cards are also good. If you want to be as sure as you can be about how legit they are, it's best to purchase them from an actual bricks-and-mortar store in the original packaging. The problem with buying SD cards from eBay or a 3rd party seller on Amazon is that they often arrive in a plain brown wrapper, which to me tends to raise questions about how real the cards are.
    Thanked by:

When I put my 32g SanDisk card into my Tab 3 it seems to drain the battery quickly is this normal ?

Check your battery stats to see if Media Scanner is working overtime. Whenever you insert an SD card, the Media Scanner scans it to look for photos, music, or videos to populate the Gallery. Sometimes, if a file or part of the card is corrupt, the Media Scanner might get stuck scanning that part of the card, thereby using up more battery.
    Thanked by:
    talos2 

Check your battery stats to see if Media Scanner is working overtime. Whenever you insert an SD card, the Media Scanner scans it to look for photos, music, or videos to populate the Gallery. Sometimes, if a file or part of the card is corrupt, the Media Scanner might get stuck scanning that part of the card, thereby using up more battery.
    Correct, media scanner is working flat out when the card is installed. I tried re formatting the card with the same result, so the card must be faulty. I have now put a card from my Koboreader to try and it is now on charge, so we shall see. Thanks for putting me on the right track I shall report back on the results.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by thebabilonias View Post
    Yes when I put in the adapter card a green light came on but nothing happened. I saw Samsung had its own brand of sd cards, would that be ok to use?
    Those cards are sold on Samsung's website, too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:

The S4 is known not to like using 64GB cards. There are many documented instances where the cards are corrupted in short time (weeks) and destroyed. Some can be fixed with various programs but some are just dead. It happens infrequently with 32GB cards. Sandisk had a know batch of faulty 64GB cards out there and their might be some still floating around. The standard recommendation is to not use a 64GB card in the S4.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

Thanks guys for all your help it's been real helpful. Real dumb question what is a bricks and mortar store to get the sd cards?

Posted via Android Central App
    thebabilonias@gmail.com

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by thebabilonias View Post
    Thanks guys for all your help it's been real helpful. Real dumb question what is a bricks and mortar store to get the sd cards?

Physical store like Best buy, Walmart, target, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UPDATE
    Fitted new card a PNY class10 16gb from Currys , and battery now lasts in excess of 3 days. My thanks to B DIDDY for his invaluable help
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by talos2 View Post
    UPDATE
    Fitted new card a PNY class10 16gb from Currys , and battery now lasts in excess of 3 days. My thanks to B DIDDY for his invaluable help
    Awesome!

Well I will tell you this with cards over 32GB seem to become unstable. I use them a lot in my Camera and I tend to stay with the 16 to 32GB ones.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

Ok quick update to this thread, I just recently picked up a samsung brand 64gb sd card and I formatted it first before putting files on it. I was told by someone that you NEVER format sd cards or they become useless. If so is there any way to "restore" this sd card? Because Im having the same issue I had with the generic brand card. Please help guys....
    thebabilonias@gmail.com

I always format my cards by the device that will use them. I put a 64GB in my S4 and have no issues.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

Ok that's what I thought, what brand of sd card do you have if I may ask?

thebabilonias@gmail.com

I format SD cards regularly, never had a problem

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I had issues with generic 64 GB cards. They would become unreadable on restart. Switched to a Samsung 64 and have not had any problems. Formatted on the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    ParanoidAndroid 4.0.4

That's why I bought the Samsung brand to eliminate those issues but for some reason the music I would transfer to the sd card would read at first then later would have an error message saying problem reading the song.

thebabilonias@gmail.com

Did you format the card with FAT32? If you used Windows 7 or 8 to format your card it will not format as FAT32. You need to get a format utility that will let you format for FAT32. I had a few problems with my SD card at first, but then realized the two times I had file corruption on my SD card was when I let my phone battery get really really low. I now make sure I never get to red on my battery. Since then my card has been working great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast