Mobile hotspot does not work with certain laptop -- works fine on all other computers

Patrick Zurek

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
<edit>
This is resolved. It turns out it WAS a DNS issue (I was trying to ping a firewalled host's IP address before, which is why it wasn't working). Turns out, pinging a non-firewalled IP address worked fine. So I manually configured my Window's IPv4 connection properties to use Google's public DNS server (8.8.8.8) and now everything is working fine. So if anyone has trouble connecting to the internet but can ping IP addresses fine, you may need to manually configure a DNS server.
</edit>

Hi,
I have enabled mobile hotspot on my Galaxy S4. My Windows 8 laptop successfully finds the hotspot and is able to connect to it. However, I'm unable to access the internet through my laptop. I can't ping any remote hosts, and it's not a DNS issue because I'm not able to ping remote IP addresses either. I am able to ping my local IP address on my laptop as well as the default gateway address which leads me to believe that the wifi on the phone is working properly, it's just not passing the packets through for some reason. I don't have this problem on any other laptop I've tried with mobile hotspot so I know my phone is working correctly. Anyone have any ideas? And yes, of course, my laptop has never had any problems connecting to other wifi networks at all.

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt