Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default If I buy an S4 and bump up to 64GB......

How much room will still be available taking into account all the crap that Verizon will load up on it?

My contract is up in 2 weeks and my last phone only had 8GB to start, but really only about 6GB that I could actually use. I need LOTS of room for photos and video.

BTW, and I know I could post a separate post, but the reason I am upgrading is because I need a better camera for my business, and if anybody could tell me how the camera rates, that would be great. I tried to get an answer from the verizon salesperson, and all I could get from her was how many megapixels the camera has.... she seemed to think that a camera's quality is solely based on megapixel count..... I tried to explain that that wasn't true, but she wasn't listening..... her eyes glazed over, LOL.

Default Re: If I buy an S4 and bump up to 64GB......

Quote Originally Posted by BigMonkey2013 View Post
    How much room will still be available taking into account all the crap that Verizon will load up on it?

My contract is up in 2 weeks and my last phone only had 8GB to start, but really only about 6GB that I could actually use. I need LOTS of room for photos and video.

BTW, and I know I could post a separate post, but the reason I am upgrading is because I need a better camera for my business, and if anybody could tell me how the camera rates, that would be great. I tried to get an answer from the verizon salesperson, and all I could get from her was how many megapixels the camera has.... she seemed to think that a camera's quality is solely based on megapixel count..... I tried to explain that that wasn't true, but she wasn't listening..... her eyes glazed over, LOL.
    I assume by bumping up to 64GB you are talking about adding an SD card, it will add that amount of storage but you need to remember that only some apps will allow you to run them from the card. Other than that you can store your movies, pictures, and music on the card to save phone space.

As for the quality of the camera, I am pretty happy with it overall. You could always pick one up and if you're not happy with it after 14 days just take it back.

Keep in mind the Galaxy S5 will be out in March...
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by BigMonkey2013 View Post

If you get a microSD then the whole 64GB would be available for media.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I assume by bumping up to 64GB you are talking about adding an SD card, it will add that amount of storage but you need to remember that only some apps will allow you to run them from the card. Other than that you can store your movies, pictures, and music on the card to save phone space.

As for the quality of the camera, I am pretty happy with it overall. You could always pick one up and if you're not happy with it after 14 days just take it back.

Keep in mind the Galaxy S5 will be out in March...
    Thanks.... the budget doesn't allow for an S5, most likely. I did not know that all apps could not run on the 64GB card..... probably not an issue though, because I will use that for photos and video. In any case, I have had my eye on an S4 since it came out, and I am really looking forward to it..... My only issue was that I had heard that Verizon put boatloads of crapware on the phone. I will just have to figure out how I can delete some or all of it if possible.....

Thanks. And TY Tech_Head.

Bah, I see that only 9GB of the 16GB on the phone is available to the user..... That is ridiculous.

WRT the bloatware, you probably can't actually delete or uninstall very much if any of it. You can turn a lot of it off, though, so that it doesn't show up anywhere on Home screens or the app drawer. It's just an ugly fact of life in Verizon-land.

As to what's taking up space on the phone, a good deal of it is the Android operating system itself. Take a look at this thread and this one.