Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going to Europe..Can I use a T Mobile SIM card

I have the GS4 and am wondering if I can buy a TMOBILE SIM to make use of the no charge International data roaming??

Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Going to Europe..Can I use a T Mobile SIM card

I was planning to do this as well. I hope somebody else out there has tried it already.

My spouse is headed to Europe in April and the whole family is going in June. I supposed he can be our guinea pig if we don't get any replies to this post. I'll keep you updated after he gets back late in April.

Yes, just came back from Europe and everything worked, texts and data at no extra charge. I have simple choice and the international plan added to it. That plan is usually $10/mo, but I read about a discount somewhere and asked customer service about it in December, so now I only pay $5 for the international plan on top of the simple choice plan.

I just happened to have the intl plan, because I use it to make international calls, but I think you don't need it for the free data and texts overseas.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked, if it is not a T-mo phone. If you are not sure, buy one of those 1 cent sim cards with free shipping from amazon that is different from your own carrier to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooks64 View Post
    I was planning to do this as well. I hope somebody else out there has tried it already.

My spouse is headed to Europe in April and the whole family is going in June. I supposed he can be our guinea pig if we don't get any replies to this post. I'll keep you updated after he gets back late in April.
    If he or you are staying for a longer period, you may just want to get a local prepaid SIM. Incoming calls and texts are never charged in any of the European countries, and it's usually cheaper to go this route.

Happy to answer any questions in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by xendula View Post
    Yes, just came back from Europe and everything worked, texts and data at no extra charge. I have simple choice and the international plan added to it. That plan is usually $10/mo, but I read about a discount somewhere and asked customer service about it in December, so now I only pay $5 for the international plan on top of the simple choice plan.

I just happened to have the intl plan, because I use it to make international calls, but I think you don't need it for the free data and texts overseas.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked, if it is not a T-mo phone. If you are not sure, buy one of those 1 cent sim cards with free shipping from amazon that is different from your own carrier to test it.
    What type of data speeds did you get in Europe. I have heard from other T-Mobile that the data speeds in Europe are 2G for the free roaming. I would love to get a T-Mobile sim if the speeds are decent. Right now I just get a prepaid European sim when I arrive in Europe.

Another option, if you have had the phone for a while you can call Tmobile for an device unlock code. I did it for a coworker when they went to Nigeria and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by eshropshire View Post
    What type of data speeds did you get in Europe. I have heard from other T-Mobile that the data speeds in Europe are 2G for the free roaming. I would love to get a T-Mobile sim if the speeds are decent. Right now I just get a prepaid European sim when I arrive in Europe.
    I don't remember, sorry, but I do believe it is very much throttled by T-mo. I could get emails and such, but would not have attempted youtube, for instance.

If you want real speeds and will stay overseas for a while, the prepaid option is indeed the best for you.

Yes, I recently moved to Finland and got the T-Mobile plan for the transitional period. I have the Verizon GS4 and my wife has the Nokia Icon and both worked just fine when I popped the T-Mobile SIM in. I think I had to mess with the APN a little in order to get both calling and data working, but those settings are easy to find. I don't remember the speeds because that was a few months ago and I only used it until I got a local SIM to replace it, but I don't remember ever complaining about the speed.