Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the Verizon S4 offer simultaneous Voice and Data on their network?

Sorry for the nube question but I just came from the Verizon iPhone 5S which does not support simultaneous voice and data usage on their network but I thought I remember hearing that the iPhone is the only device that does not offer that feature. Specifically, does the S4 have the ability to do both?

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

Default Re: Does the Verizon S4 offer simultaneous Voice and Data on their network?

Quote Originally Posted by rockitdog23 View Post
    Sorry for the nube question but I just came from the Verizon iPhone 5S which does not support simultaneous voice and data usage on their network but I thought I remember hearing that the iPhone is the only device that does not offer that feature. Specifically, does the S4 have the ability to do both?
    It seems to work fine as long as you have LTE available (or WIFI, of course)...If I recall correctly, voice and data may not work if you only have 3G coverage...not sure though.
    rockitdog23 likes this.

Default Re: Does the Verizon S4 offer simultaneous Voice and Data on their network?

Yes, you get simultaneous voice and data, e.g., talking on the phone while using maps or navigation. I'm not sure about 3G either, though I don't recall having heard that it can't work.

You can't send a text while on the phone though...

Posted via Android Central App

With Verizon, CDMA (3G) is used for voice, while LTE (4G) is used for data. So if you have good reception for both, you can use both simultaneously. In order for Verizon phones to have simultaneous voice and data on 3G, I think they have to have two separate CDMA antennae (like the HTC Thunderbolt had), which is pretty rare. LTE is not yet used for voice, but all the major carriers are working on Voice-Over-LTE, which is supposed to be introduced later this year or in 2015.
    Ry and Dave-in-Decatur like this.

Since when?
    I can send text while on the phone.
    I don't know of any phone that won't sent text while talking.

My fiance just told me this the other day while we were on the phone. Sure enough I composed a text w/ pic attachment, and it didn't go through until we hung up...

Maybe it was the pic that made it hang?

Sent from my SCH-i545

Vzw and sprint are the same in this aspect. CDMA 3g does not support voice and data simultaneously. If you have a 4g connection then yes you can talk and surf the Web at the same time. Gsm is the only 3g that is able to support both.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Since when?
    I can send text while on the phone.
    I don't know of any phone that won't sent text while talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhartman26 View Post
    My fiance just told me this the other day while we were on the phone. Sure enough I composed a text w/ pic attachment, and it didn't go through until we hung up...

Maybe it was the pic that made it hang?

Sent from my SCH-i545
    It depends on whether or not SMS and/or MMS can be transmitted over LTE? (anybody know this?). If they can, then yes, in theory you should be able to send texts while on the phone as long as you have LTE coverage.

If you only have 3G (1XEV) coverage in your area, I imagine that SMS/MMS won't work while on a call...though I could be wrong about SMS.

Just a correction although the S4 does not support it, there are phones that support SVDO which does voice and data on 3g. The thunderbolt and rezound come to mind. If you were not able to send MMS then you were in a 3g area while I the phone. MMS uses LTE. She is pure text and you should be able to text even if you don't have bars to hold a call.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    With Verizon, CDMA (3G) is used for voice, while LTE (4G) is used for data. So if you have good reception for both, you can use both simultaneously. In order for Verizon phones to have simultaneous voice and data on 3G, I think they have to have two separate CDMA antennae (like the HTC Thunderbolt had), which is pretty rare. LTE is not yet used for voice, but all the major carriers are working on Voice-Over-LTE, which is supposed to be introduced later this year or in 2015.
    The s3 did as well

Also for clarification, Verizon voice is provided over 1xRTT,which is essentially 2g.

At this time, in order for simultaneous voice and data to occur on Verizon , both voice and data have to be on different paths, like on the s3:

GS3 Radio Location Diagram, Simult. Voice + Data over 3G & 4G

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    B. Diddy likes this.

Ach, I keep forgetting about 1X! Thanks for the correction, dpham00!