Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By dancing-bass
  • 1 Post By dadathepanda
  • 2 Post By Irisheagle
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Post Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    I'm thinking of rooting my recently acquired GS4 if for no other reason but
    to get rid of the Crapplications put on by my carrier.
    What i'm curious about is, if my carrier can refuse me service if i root
    and flash say CyanogenMod on my phone? i was thinking of getting another
    identical one just in case i Brick it. lol,

    Does anyone have any experience in this area?
    i did do a search but didn't find anything about this particular case.

    any ideas guys
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    as far as I know they can't refuse to allow you to access their network, especially if you are paying for access (pre-paid, or post-paid billing). What they CAN refuse is any warranty or service work, or troubleshooting any issues you have with the device itself. So, in other words, they can't prevent you from using their cellular network but if anything screws up on your phone you're on your own to figure out how to fix it.

    Again, this is as far as I know. I'm not on Verizon, so read the really tiny print on your contract.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

    Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and Irisheagle like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    They can't refuse to replace your device if you don't tell them it was rooted. I rooted my phone and then did a warranty exchange without a problem. You may want to reflash the un-rooted rom before turning it in... And if you brick it during the root prices, then just tell them it happened while you updated to 4.3. Verizon employees aren't the smartest tools in the shed... I know from dealing with them

    Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken
    hardrocker89 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    They could technically refuse anyone to their network... But...

    No they shouldn't.. You'll be able to get service BUT they won't support the phone (help with issues) since it's rooted.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

    Community Rules & Guidelines
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Dancing-Bass, and all others, thanks for your replies.
    Sometimes my brain has farts and checking the itty bitty print in my contract
    should have been my first thought but alas age has its faults.
    I definitely under stood the warranty part as that's a pretty basic one.
    Just wasn't sure on the service part.

    Again thanks Everyone
    and have a great week ahead.
    dancing-bass and troshs like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    They can't refuse to replace your device if you don't tell them it was rooted. I rooted my phone and then did a warranty exchange without a problem. You may want to reflash the un-rooted rom before turning it in... And if you brick it during the root prices, then just tell them it happened while you updated to 4.3. Verizon employees aren't the smartest tools in the shed... I know from dealing with them

    Posted via Android Central App
    Fyi, that would be fraud.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    dancing-bass likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    They can deny service for rooted devices but I haven't heard of them enforcing their terms of service.


    " WHAT ARE VERIZON WIRELESS' RIGHTS TO LIMIT OR END SERVICE OR END THIS AGREEMENT?
    We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to:
    ...

    2) if you, any user of your device or any line of service on your account, or any account manager on your account:... (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications;... "

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...omer-agreement


    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    They can deny service for rooted devices but I haven't heard of them enforcing their terms of service.


    " WHAT ARE VERIZON WIRELESS' RIGHTS TO LIMIT OR END SERVICE OR END THIS AGREEMENT?
    We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to:
    ...

    2) if you, any user of your device or any line of service on your account, or any account manager on your account:... (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications;... "

    Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless


    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I would imagine this would be enforced if a modified device was causing issues on the network or for other users. I'm sure they're quite happy if someone attempts to root their device and bricks it. This hypothetical user then sends it in for service (service charges, etc = money in the bank for Verizon), and then must purchase another device (even more money in the bank for Verizon). Not always true but like I said, unless the modified device in question is causing service disruptions on the network I don't think they care. They just have that in there to cover their backside.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

    Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    I would imagine this would be enforced if a modified device was causing issues on the network or for other users. I'm sure they're quite happy if someone attempts to root their device and bricks it. This hypothetical user then sends it in for service (service charges, etc = money in the bank for Verizon), and then must purchase another device (even more money in the bank for Verizon). Not always true but like I said, unless the modified device in question is causing service disruptions on the network I don't think they care. They just have that in there to cover their backside.
    I don't think they care particularly either but they can use it to get rid of the panniers customer . The terms of services are pretty broad, just like they used to enforce the 5 GB limit on unlimited data plans . Ha ha I will state that I have witnessed throttling of my LTE connection. I have even sent packets of text data with video streams to prove it. I suppose the data issues are another discussion altogether but my concern is how data intensive our devices are going to be in the next few years . Is 10 GB really gonna be enough for a family? I can easily surpass 5 GB a month on my own
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Fyi, that would be fraud.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I agree with this. A three hundred dollar charge is much better than prison. Plus, lying about it will not help your cause.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can my Carrier refuse service for rooting......

    Quote Originally Posted by total_telecom View Post
    I don't think they care particularly either but they can use it to get rid of the panniers customer . The terms of services are pretty broad, just like they used to enforce the 5 GB limit on unlimited data plans . Ha ha I will state that I have witnessed throttling of my LTE connection. I have even sent packets of text data with video streams to prove it. I suppose the data issues are another discussion altogether but my concern is how data intensive our devices are going to be in the next few years . Is 10 GB really gonna be enough for a family? I can easily surpass 5 GB a month on my own
    Verizon was sued and ordered not to enforce 5gb on their unlimited plan.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Similar Threads

  1. Maybe it's time to root...
    By Standroid43 in forum Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 06:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM
  3. Prevent ATT update on rooted phone?
    By dt-100 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 07:00 AM
  4. Help! JellyBAM Can't Connect to Camera!
    By SheldDaaady in forum AT&T Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions