Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No signal for voice or web, even after factory wipe and new sim

I have spent almost an entire week without a working cell phone. Last Friday morning I was reading news on my GS4 and got the pop-up message "refreshing SIM data." It was odd but I was in an area with next to no coverage so I didn't think a lot of it. I went about my day until I realized I had no web or voice/text signal. I rebooted the phone, no help. Since it mentioned the sim, I took it out and put it back, no help.

When I got home later that day I immediately started researching the problem and found other people had gotten the refreshing sim data message and temporarily lost service, but in all my searching I've found no record of anyone ever randomly and permanently losing all ability to communicate with cell towers.

I flashed a new copy of the ROM I was using onto a new partition- nothing. I eventually did a full factory reset to stock VRUAME7, and again, nothing. At this point I figured since it certainly wasn't a software issue it must be a bad sim. I went to the Verizon store today and got a new one... that still hasn't been able to get itself activated 3 hours later. What's worse is, because I have a tiny crack in the corner of my screen, my warranty is void. Granted, that has nothing whatsoever to do with this issue I didn't cause but... I digress.

At this point I figure it must be the SIM slot, but my phone does recognize that there is a SIM card in it so I'm just genuinely stumped. I ordered a new SIM/SD slot assembly just now and I'll certainly give the swap a try, but I really don't have much hope with it.

If anybody can offer any insight at all, I would certainly be very thankful. Even if not.. thanks for at least reading the post.

Default Re: No signal for voice or web, even after factory wipe and new sim

Hm that is definitely weird.. Did you try contacting Verizon to ensure the new SIM activated properly?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my LG G4 using AC Forums.

Community Rules & Guidelines

I had the same problem simply hold power button till screen goes black takes about 4-10 seconds wait 30 seconds turn on gs4 should rerout you to closest 4g lte tower

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I was in the store with representatives as the new SIM tried fruitlessly to activate. New SIM slot arrived, commencing surgery
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, seeing as there was no signal but it still recognized that there was a SIM, I wasn't 100 percent sure it was the slot.

But lo and behold, the replacement slot came today, I busted open my S4, performed the surgery, and...

It worked!!!

It's what I thought- If it's not software, it's not the SIM and it's not the radios, it must be the SIM slot. Petrified as I was that I'd trash my phone in the process (worked on plenty of computers but never had to replace internal smartphone components before), the new SIM slot gave me signal bars and 4G as soon as I booted the phone.

Thanks for the help and the concern everybody.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, seeing as there was no signal but it still recognized that there was a SIM, I wasn't 100 percent sure it was the slot.

But lo and behold, the replacement slot came today, I busted open my S4, performed the surgery, and...

It worked!!!

It's what I thought- If it's not software, it's not the SIM and it's not the radios, it must be the SIM slot. Petrified as I was that I'd trash my phone in the process (worked on plenty of computers but never had to replace internal smartphone components before), the new SIM slot gave me signal bars and 4G as soon as I booted the phone.

Thanks for the help and the concern everybody.