Galaxy S4: Damaged LCD - Three Part Question

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Long story short, a dead bolt fell on my phone. Initially, only the screen was damaged. However, the display eventually went (and remains) black. The phone works. I can receive calls, messages, etc. Obviously I cannot respond to any message or make any calls but the phone itself works. I have two questions:

- Does anyone know an approximate amount to repair this phone (both damaged LCD and display)?
- Does anyone know the approximate value of this phone as is?
- Is there a way to connect this phone to a touch screen monitor (via a HDMI cable) and access the device as if I were using it directly?

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Damaged LCD - Three Part Question

1. It depends where you want to get it fixed. Are you planning to go to a third-party shop?
2. The phone is currently around $450 USD brand new. I'm not sure how badly it is, but a phone that can't be used is useless. If you sell it for parts maybe $100?
3. You could try and use an MHL adapter, but you would need to use the touch screen... which doesn't work.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

1. It depends where you want to get it fixed. Are you planning to go to a third-party shop?
2. The phone is currently around $450 USD brand new. I'm not sure how badly it is, but a phone that can't be used is useless. If you sell it for parts maybe $100?
3. You could try and use an MHL adapter, but you would need to use the touch screen... which doesn't work.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, there is a reputable third-party shop in mid-town Manhattan. I plan on getting an estimate from them but I wanted to get a sense of what I should expect - just in the event I get an exorbitant estimate. Just to confirm, even using a touch screen monitor, I would not be able to do things such as swipe my passcode, access various apps, or respond to calls or texts? Ultimately, the only thing I really need to do is get the phone into disk mode so I can get the data off the phone.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, there is a reputable third-party shop in mid-town Manhattan. I plan on getting an estimate from them but I wanted to get a sense of what I should expect - just in the event I get an exorbitant estimate. Just to confirm, even using a touch screen monitor, I would not be able to do things such as swipe my passcode, access various apps, or respond to calls or texts? Ultimately, the only thing I really need to do is get the phone into disk mode so I can get the data off the phone.

I've never used it on a touch-screen display, so I can't say for sure. MHL is only for viewing the phone on an external display, so I think no. Anyways, can you access your phone's internal storage when you connect it to a PC?

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Anyways, can you access your phone's internal storage when you connect it to a PC?

Nope. When the phone is connected, it immediately picks it up and recognizes it as a device but when I double click on the icon, no data is displayed. Normally, I have to select Disk Drive (or something to that effect) on the phone itself when it is connected. That allows me put the phone in disk mode.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Nope. When the phone is connected, it immediately picks it up and recognizes it as a device but when I double click on the icon, no data is displayed. Normally, I have to select Disk Drive (or something to that effect) on the phone itself when it is connected. That allows me put the phone in disk mode.

Ah, I see. Well, hope it goes well! Let us (or me) know if you have more questions.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Ah, I see. Well, hope it goes well! Let us (or me) know if you have more questions.

Thank you very much wizzrah. I am not sure of the forum policy but, for those in or around the Upper West Side in Manhattan, I went to The Mobile Shop - 228A Columbus Avenue, NYC, NY 10023. I will hold off on posting their phone number. You can use the info I provided to do your own due diligence.

The full repair cost $250 ($229 plus tax). It may seem like a lot but, relatively speaking, it is nothing since the phone can easily fetch $400-$500 on Craigslist or eBay.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much wizzrah. I am not sure of the forum policy but, for those in or around the Upper West Side in Manhattan, I went to The Mobile Shop - 228A Columbus Avenue, NYC, NY 10023. I will hold off on posting their phone number. You can use the info I provided to do your own due diligence.

The full repair cost $250 ($229 plus tax). It may seem like a lot but, relatively speaking, it is nothing since the phone can easily fetch $400-$500 on Craigslist or eBay.

Just to get the screen replace because of cracked glass is $200.00 at Samsung and it will take 2 weeks so I don't really think the $250.00 is bad if you have more than just cracked glass. Let us know here what was done and how it turned out.

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Just to get the screen replace because of cracked glass is $200.00 at Samsung and it will take 2 weeks so I don't really think the $250.00 is bad if you have more than just cracked glass. Let us know here what was done and how it turned out.

Hi Japetty. The receipt only references a screen repair (attached it for everyone's reference). According to every other store I took the phone to, both the screen and the LCD needed to be replaced. Been using the phone for the last 12 hours and it works perfectly. I cannot even tell there was any damage. Oh, did I mention they fixed it in 30 minutes? Yeah, well worth the money.

Receipt.PNG

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Hi Japetty. The receipt only references a screen repair (attached it for everyone's reference). According to every other store I took the phone to, both the screen and the LCD needed to be replaced. Been using the phone for the last 12 hours and it works perfectly. I cannot even tell there was any damage. Oh, did I mention they fixed it in 30 minutes? Yeah, well worth the money.

View attachment 110861

Money well spent IMO and in only 30 minutes. You don't find that kind of service out here in rural NM for sure. Good to hear you have your phone back already and I guess everything was just the way it was before as you said you can't tell a repair was done. No shipping charges either and 2 week or so wait.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what I wad going to suggest but in late to the discussion. Basically you paid $100 for them to do it.

Good deal if your not comfortable doing it yourself. Still a bit pricey in the 30 minutes worth of work.

Glad it's fixed and have me a price for the parts in case I need it.

Posted via Android Central App

androidcentral8450

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Buy the LCD on ebay, and do it yourself. It is time consuming, but not impossible.

White for Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 M919 I317 LCD Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly | eBay

That's what I wad going to suggest but in late to the discussion. Basically you paid $100 for them to do it.

Good deal if your not comfortable doing it yourself. Still a bit pricey in the 30 minutes worth of work.

Glad it's fixed and have me a price for the parts in case I need it.

Posted via Android Central App

Hi MrHost and SunnyVida. Thanks for your responses. I'm very technically inclined but I know my limitations. A couple days before I got the phone fixed, I went to several stores (between 4-5 throughout the city) and each one of them quoted between $200-250. In my opinion, coming out of pocket a couple bills during my lunch hour was more than justified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20