Kitkat Issue: Can't Write to External SD Card

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just downloaded the 4.4.2 update about an hour ago and found a HUGE issue (potentially).

I can no longer write to my microSD card!!

Tried using the official Samsung USB adapter to transfer files off a flash drive, and I immediately got an "Unable to Write File" error. Tried older files to make sure it wasn't a file problem. Same error. Then I tried to create a new folder on my microSD card using ASTRO File Manager, and the new folder does not appear.

Looks like 4.4.2 just broke our ability to use our expandable storage. Now I have to take out my card and plug it into my Chromebook via adapter every time I want to write to my card!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kitkat Issue: Can't Write to External SD Card

Just downloaded the 4.4.2 update about an hour ago and found a HUGE issue (potentially).

I can no longer write to my microSD card!!

Tried using the official Samsung USB adapter to transfer files off a flash drive, and I immediately got an "Unable to Write File" error. Tried older files to make sure it wasn't a file problem. Same error. Then I tried to create a new folder on my microSD card using ASTRO File Manager, and the new folder does not appear.

Looks like 4.4.2 just broke our ability to use our expandable storage. Now I have to take out my card and plug it into my Chromebook via adapter every time I want to write to my card!!

This is something that is Google's fault. It's known already that Kit Kat breaks the ability to write to external storage like SD Cards.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Just to clarify:

I'm talking about copying my own files to folders that I've created on my SD card. I'm not talking about apps writing to the card. But if 4.4.2 won't even let me copy files from a flash drive using Samsung's own USB adapter, then what freaking good is the bloody SD card anymore???!!

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

So what then...even if I'm trying to copy MP3s off my laptop onto the MP3 directory that I created myself, it won't work anymore? What? I've got to keep pulling the card out of the phone EVERY TIME I WANT TO PUT A FILE ON IT???!!!

That should still work with MTP protocol.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

That should still work with MTP protocol.

Thanks, I got it working with the stock file manager. Cleaned up the thread of some earlier posts so new viewers won't get confused. Hopefully, ASTRO can update their app to accommodate this change.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, I got it working with the stock file manager. Cleaned up the thread of some earlier posts so new viewers won't get confused. Hopefully, ASTRO can update their app to accommodate this change.

Have you tried ES File Explorer?

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I might give that a try.

Honestly, now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting double notifications from my Calendar. I only have Google Calendar turned on.

4.4.2 has been nothing but a headache so far.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com

I might give that a try.

Honestly, now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting double notifications from my Calendar. I only have Google Calendar turned on.

4.4.2 has been nothing but a headache so far.
I wouldn't mind getting rid of the dual calendar notifications either....

:::EDIT:::
I found a fix....

It looks like the update reset some apps to their default settings.

Go into Google Calendar - Menu>Settings>General Settings>Check the 'Notifications' box to make sure it is active.

Go to the default Calendar app - Menu>Settings>Set alerts and notifications>Turn This off

Fixed it for me.

Last edited:

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the dual calendar notifications either....

:::EDIT:::
I found a fix....

It looks like the update reset some apps to their default settings.

Go into Google Calendar - Menu>Settings>General Settings>Check the 'Notifications' box to make sure it is active.

Go to the default Calendar app - Menu>Settings>Set alerts and notifications>Turn This off

Fixed it for me.

That's what I did, but I think what the update did was reactivate the stock calendar app and removed our ability to disable/turn it off. Because that's what I had done before 4.4.2. I had disabled the stock calendar app.

BTW, ES File Explorer works great and restores the functionality that I lost in ASTRO.

angermgmt20

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

When it comes to tech stuff, I can get get easily confused so I come to the forums and try to get all the info I can before making any changes to anything tech I own. When I heard of the new update and the issue with the external SD card I came here to try and clarify and hopefully get the correct answer before doing the update. I use my SD card just for music and photos. My musicand some photos are downloaded from my computer onto the SD card via the USB cable. If I do the update, does it mean I will no longer be able to listen to my music in the Google Play music app or access the photos I have downloaded onto the SD card? If someone could explain this SD card change to me in simple words for the tech-challenged would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to apply this update until I can clarify this. Thanks!

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

When it comes to tech stuff, I can get get easily confused so I come to the forums and try to get all the info I can before making any changes to anything tech I own. When I heard of the new update and the issue with the external SD card I came here to try and clarify and hopefully get the correct answer before doing the update. I use my SD card just for music and photos. My musicand some photos are downloaded from my computer onto the SD card via the USB cable. If I do the update, does it mean I will no longer be able to listen to my music in the Google Play music app or access the photos I have downloaded onto the SD card? If someone could explain this SD card change to me in simple words for the tech-challenged would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to apply this update until I can clarify this. Thanks!

Apparently, Google has restricted apps from writing to the SD card without a specific type of coding or set of permissions or something like that. After updating to KitKat, I found that I could no longer transfer music files to my MP3 directory on my SD card, which is why I started the thread. It turns out that ASTRO File Manager (which I was using) hadn't been updated by the developer to accommodate the new OS. However, the stock Samsung "My Files" app was properly updated. If you use that app, you can do everything you did pre-KitKat. ES File Explorer is also 4.4.2-functional.

Bottom line: you can still access, copy, delete, etc. your personal music and image files on your SD card. You just may be limited to specific file manager apps. Overall, it turns out not to be a huge issue.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I rather like the stock file manager. Someone was saying File Expert was also working on Samsung with Kit-Kat, but I just tried it and it froze the first time I tried it. The native Samsung file manager is actually quite nice. I have both Astro and Andro, which I purchased for an older HTC model, and I've hardly used either since buying the S4, even prior to this latest update. Other device owners may be in more of a fix --in my ignorance I assumed everyone had a native file manager app recently in a thread on another device. Samsung gets a lot of blow back at times for bloat and redundant apps, but this supposedly unnecessary File Manager app made a lot of people happy when this new update arrived.

On another sub-forum here, people are talking about the benefits of rooting---and some of the reasons (File Manager, Greenify) don't matter much to me as a Samsung user. I can see why others with plain vanilla Android and non-removable batteries might be more interested...

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Last edited:

angermgmt20

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

So if I understand you correctly, this is more of an issue if you have apps on your SD card that are used for certain files. To access my SD card I go into the "my files" app/ all files/ SD card, so I shouldn't have any problems.

damage_inc

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

This does not work for me. I can turn off notifications in the default Calendar app, but when I reboot the phone all notification settings in the default calendar app are turned back on. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I've been using ES File Explorer and it works fine with the External SD Card. The other apps that I have that access the card seem to have no issues also. If you have one that won't work with the SD Card that used too, contact the Dev. They are the ones that can make the app work.

BigRedGonzo

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I've been using ES File Explorer and it works fine with the External SD Card. The other apps that I have that access the card seem to have no issues also. If you have one that won't work with the SD Card that used too, contact the Dev. They are the ones that can make the app work.

BigRedGonzo

There are sometimes subtle issues you don't always notice at first. For instance, MX Player will play files. It will delete files. It can't rename them in my preferred directory...