Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joediver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Update Issues

After the update yesterday my S4 started running hot. I thought maybe it would clear up after a few restarts. Then it started downloading Verizon Cloud and just froze half way through. I get the message that it is running hot and will run slow until cooled off. No luck after 24 hours and battery life has gone from great to lasting maybe 3 hours. Anyone else?

Sent from my dying S4 Not Rooted

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Default Re: Update Issues

No problems here. But I did a factory reset after the update (always do). Running well so far.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

My phone initially did the same thing but went back to normal in about three hours
    DocB1973
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Microsoft Surface Pro
    Nexus 7 - Nexus 10

Quite frequently, after a new update, it is necessary to do a FDR (from the Recovery Menu). I would love to know what causes it to be necessary in some instances and not in others, but with all the variables in play we will probably never know. Gremlins I guess. Anyway, back up data that you don't want to lose and make note of what you have installed and do an FDR (from the Recovery Menu). The Play Store should reinstall most all of your apps, but sometimes it misses some. Most of the time, with my set up, it misses those apps that require keys to operate. It will restore the key, but not the app and I have to go reinstall those manually.

To do the FDR from the Recovery Menu:

Power off the device.
    Press and hold Volume Up and the Home Key.
    Press and hold the Power Button.
    When the device vibrates, release the Power Key.
    When you get the small blue writing at the top of the screen, you can release the other buttons.
    Use the Volume Up/Down buttons to navigate the menus and use the Power Button to select menu items.
    I recommend doing "wipe data/factory reset" three times and doing "wipe cache partition" three times (I have heard this from devs in the past, I don't know what is magic about three times.)
    After doing all that, select "reboot system now".
    After the phone has rebooted, leave the phone alone for about 15 minutes and then wake it up and start setting it back up.

Non of the above is any of my own concoction, I have just read stuff from various devs that say that the three times and the waiting 15 minutes is beneficial.

Good Luck,
    BigRedGonzo
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Tried the factory reset and things are back to normal..... Actually better battery life than before. Guess it helps to clean out the crap one and awhile..... At least after updates. Thanks all

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    tvouge likes this.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joediver View Post
    Tried the factory reset and things are back to normal..... Actually better battery life than before. Guess it helps to clean out the crap one and awhile..... At least after updates. Thanks all

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the church of the factory reset. We are all brothers here, preaching the righteousness of the healing data wipe.

I haven't done a factory reset, but I have had no issues so far

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

My wife's s4 is randomly vibrates like it got a notification but there's nothing there. Any one else having the issue?

How do I keep the "trusted certificate" notification (white triangle w/!) to stop showing up after I reboot? I didn't see any settings anywhere to turn it off. I find it quite annoying but not enough to do a factory reset lol.

ROM
    Gingerbread

Remove the certificate and then reinstall it. Process will vary pending on the certificate.

ROM
    Stock

After the update I can't access the Music folder on the SD card. When I click on it in ES File Explorer I get an error message: Login fails: This may be caused by: Comparison method violates its general contract. WinAmp still plays my music but I can't access the folder to copy . I haven't tried connecting my phone to my PC and seeing if I can access the folder through my PC. I can access any other folder from ES File Explorer just not my Music folder.

Bill

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lv2bsilly View Post
    How do I keep the "trusted certificate" notification (white triangle w/!) to stop showing up after I reboot? I didn't see any settings anywhere to turn it off. I find it quite annoying but not enough to do a factory reset lol.
    I get this every time I restart the device due to a fox fi certificate. It's annoying that you can't tell the system to *trust* the certificate, but I do appreciate that at least it warns you about untrusted certificates now.