Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Verizon Galaxy S4: Screen, not glass replacement

Hey all, someone pressed their lacrosse stick while my phone was on the ground on accident. The glass is not cracked at all but the screen inside has a line going through it and does not work at all.
    I can turn it on, and the LED will work but the screen doesn't show up. Again, this is just the screen inside. The glass is fine.
    Is there a way to order just the screen and replace it?

What is the best cost effective way of fixing this if not ordering a new screen?

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S4: Screen, not glass replacement

Quote Originally Posted by jester0110 View Post
    Hey all, someone pressed their lacrosse stick while my phone was on the ground on accident. The glass is not cracked at all but the screen inside has a line going through it and does not work at all.
    I can turn it on, and the LED will work but the screen doesn't show up. Again, this is just the screen inside. The glass is fine.
    Is there a way to order just the screen and replace it?

What is the best cost effective way of fixing this if not ordering a new screen?
    You are not going to like this. In your case insurance would have been a good investment. In nearly every modern phone I have seen, you need to remove the digitizer (glass) to get at the screen.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Teardown - iFixit

BAD NEWS. If this is accurate it's even worse than I expected. Glass, screen and frame are fused? And as such crap needs to disassembled from the frame? Google around for a second opinion but I think you're looking at a complex and expensive repair.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Okay, I have found the glass/screen/digitizer for around $150. If this is the only route, I might just use my galaxy nexus for a while before upgrading when my contract is over.

When I bought my S4 at Costco, I also purchased their SquareTrade warranty for $100. Although it does not cover loss/theft, it does cover up to 4 claims over a two-year period, each with a $25 deductible. When I dropped and broke my screen a few months ago, I had the option of sending it in to be repaired or replaced, or have it repaired at a local shop and then be reimbursed. I brought it to a local shop (they repaired it in less than an hour), which charged $225 to replace the screen. I emailed a scan of the bill, and got a reimbursement check in about 10 days. I will definitely do that again next time I buy a phone.