Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Leo G
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot "save as" to micro sd!?

Hadent used this feature in a few weeks, so I dont know if it was from the update verizon pushed a couple of weeks ago, but the problem is as follows:

from my email I can "preview" a document download (usually pdf). when I see it, I used to be able to click on upper corner and click "save as" , then I can chane the hame and where saved. Now I dont have a choice to save anywhere other than the internal storage.

I tried restarting it, but it didnt make a difference.

I can however move folders to and from the mmicro SD cards/internal storage.

any idea of what is up and how to fix it?

Thank you,
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Cannot "save as" to micro sd!?

If you are now on Kit Kat, that's what's causing the problems.
    There was a change in permissions for reading/writing on the SD card in 4.4, so a lot of apps can no longer access external storage. There are a lot of apps being updated to circumvent this issue, but it looks like your e-mail app has not been.

You can read more about it here: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
    tvouge likes this.

Either "save as" it to a folder in the internal memory and then move it to the SD card. Or save it to the SD card with the name it has and use the File Manager (My Files) that comes with the phone to rename the file.

I was just talking to a Verizon person on the phone she as the brand new S5 she loves it. I asked if she has a Ext. SD card in it', she said no, she was going out to buy one. I told her a few bad news about Kitkat. She said i got to be kidding. Told her Google it orand join our club at Cenrral and read what we have to say about Google's wonderful Kitkat. That was the reason she said of buying a phone that uses a SD card.My S4 has 4.3 and I'm keeping it. On my 3rd week of saying no to Kitkat.

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcca View Post
    I was just talking to a Verizon person on the phone she as the brand new S5 she loves it. I asked if she has a Ext. SD card in it', she said no, she was going out to buy one. I told her a few bad news about Kitkat. She said i got to be kidding. Told her Google it orand join our club at Cenrral and read what we have to say about Google's wonderful Kitkat. That was the reason she said of buying a phone that uses a SD card.My S4 has 4.3 and I'm keeping it. On my 3rd week of saying no to Kitkat.
    I haven't had any problems with my SD card. As far as functionality, it works the same as 4.3.. The differences don't show up for the end user unless you use an app that hasn't been updated. Moving apps to SD card, camera saving photos to SD card, saving documents to SD card, all no problems for me. I don't see the complaint being valid.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I dont see an option where I can download documents directly to micro SD!

how do I do that?

the issue I have isnt with apps ( i dont have that many) it's other things.

L

Quote Originally Posted by tvouge View Post
    I haven't had any problems with my SD card. As far as functionality, it works the same as 4.3.. The differences don't show up for the end user unless you use an app that hasn't been updated. Moving apps to SD card, camera saving photos to SD card, saving documents to SD card, all no problems for me. I don't see the complaint being valid.

Posted via Android Central App
    That's not entirely correct. Even updating an app won't give you the functionality that you once had. Without being rooted the permissions are not always attainable.

Especially on file managers.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie40 View Post
    I dont see an option where I can download documents directly to micro SD!

how do I do that?

the issue I have isnt with apps ( i dont have that many) it's other things.

L
    Because of the permissions issue you probably don't have a download to SD option. You'll need to download it to a folder in the phone's internal memory and then move that file to the SD card using the built in file manager, which has permission to do that.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

the problem with this is that the folders I download and want to move to sd cards are from internet fax. so the file names are all numbers that look pretty are nealy identical, so then I have to open them to make sure it's the right one before I can change name and move.

I'm sure it's not that big of deal to most, but for me this is a huge negative for future androd devices for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
    That's not entirely correct. Even updating an app won't give you the functionality that you once had. Without being rooted the permissions are not always attainable.

Especially on file managers.
    Depends on the file manager, but es seems to work at least on my note 3.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

btw, these are pdf files in case it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Depends on the file manager, but es seems to work at least on my note 3.

Try to rename something on the SD card with ES File Explorer

Newbie40,

"Save as" to internal storage and change the name, then move it from internal storage to SD. Hopefully the app that you are using will get updated soon.

I have several apps that use extSdCard and most all of them work. The exceptions are the "Office Suite" type apps and they are always the ones that are slow getting updated.

BigRedGonzo

Try to rename something on the SD card with ES File Explorer
    Point taken. But you can move it to the internal memory to rename and move it back afterwards. Not a perfect solution though, at least you can copy stuff to the sd card without issue which is what I mainly need.

I usually just rename pictures and videos and that can be done in the gallery app.

So, work arounds are all fine and good, but what's the real fix? I just accepted the upgrade to 4.4.2 - against my better judgment - and now my most important app is broken because it can't write to the SD card. I don't think I'm up for copying back and forth to the SD card 50 times a day. Any solutions on opening up that SD card permission for all the various apps that need it?
    Phone is droid razr maxx, about 8 months old. App is a simple text editor. Have tried several since the 4.4.2 debacle, and all seem to have the same problem.
    Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Point taken. But you can move it to the internal memory to rename and move it back afterwards. Not a perfect solution though, at least you can copy stuff to the sd card without issue which is what I mainly need.

I usually just rename pictures and videos and that can be done in the gallery app.

You can just use the built it My Files app and rename them without all that moving around. It works because it has permission because it is an app that came with the phone. Now, since google crapped things up under the guise of protecting us all, 3rd party apps won't have that option anymore. Unless there is a work around or google changes it's greedy ways.
    dpham00 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by laramsey View Post
    So, work arounds are all fine and good, but what's the real fix? I just accepted the upgrade to 4.4.2 - against my better judgment - and now my most important app is broken because it can't write to the SD card. I don't think I'm up for copying back and forth to the SD card 50 times a day. Any solutions on opening up that SD card permission for all the various apps that need it?
    Phone is droid razr maxx, about 8 months old. App is a simple text editor. Have tried several since the 4.4.2 debacle, and all seem to have the same problem.
    Any help appreciated!
    Keep that stuff in the internal memory and you won't need to change your ways much. I don't know how much memory you have or are using, so this might not be a valid solution for you.

You can just use the built it My Files app and rename them without all that moving around. It works because it has permission because it is an app that came with the phone. Now, since google crapped things up under the guise of protecting us all, 3rd party apps won't have that option anymore. Unless there is a work around or google changes it's greedy ways.
    I never liked the my files app, but if I ever have to rename a large number of files on the sd card then I would probably have to use it.

It's very basic. But it does what a simple file manager needs to do. I use ES Explorer myself. I was happy when they were able to find out how to do as much as they can get done while on 4.4.2. I'm sure when 4.4.3 comes along some of that functionality will be taken away because they are likely using exploits to access the card and google will have none of that.

It's very basic. But it does what a simple file manager needs to do. I use ES Explorer myself. I was happy when they were able to find out how to do as much as they can get done while on 4.4.2. I'm sure when 4.4.3 comes along some of that functionality will be taken away because they are likely using exploits to access the card and google will have none of that.
    I don't think that ES is using exploits to access the card. I think that they probably just followed the correct protocols to access the card.

BigRedGonzo

As far as I know no other file manager is able to do what ES does right now. Most are hindered to what ES can do.

Just root the phone and install the patch to fix it.

Kitkat is not easy to root.