App to keep screen on while on AC

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I could have sworn I read about this earlier but I can't find it via search. Does anyone know of an app that will do to?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean while on AC power, or on Android Central?

If you mean while plugged into a power outlet, then go to Settings>Developer Options, and check on "Stay Awake." If you don't see Developer Options, then go to Settings>About Phone, tap Build Number 7 times. You'll see a message that you're now a developer. Go back to the main Settings menu, and you should see Developer Options near the bottom.

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to add that I looked there first but the Stay Awake command is grayed out so I can not choose it. Any idea why that would be the case?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to add that I looked there first but the Stay Awake command is grayed out so I can not choose it. Any idea why that would be the case?

My guess would be a limitation that either the carrier ROM or Samsung. More likely Samsung, as they did not allow switching to ART on the S4 initial release of KitKat.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to add that I looked there first but the Stay Awake command is grayed out so I can not choose it. Any idea why that would be the case?

Are you sure the Developer Options are switched on? Look for a toggle switch at the top of that menu.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

My guess would be a limitation that either the carrier ROM or Samsung. More likely Samsung, as they did not allow switching to ART on the S4 initial release of KitKat.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

I got the SCH 1545 (Verizon) running kitkat 4.4.2 and it's not grayed out.

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's switched on. Strange. I've also noticed that other S4's in my family that were recently activated have the option to stay awake in developer options and keep the screen on up to 10 minutes where mine has a max of one minute. I activated my in August and we are are all on Verizon 4.4.2 model SCH-I545.

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have some kind of battery saving option turned on elsewhere? I'm not intimately familiar with the S4, but I think there is a battery saving setting. If so, then turn it off and then see if that Stay Awake option becomes available.

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I looked everywhere (settings, apps, running) but find nothing that has anything to do with battery saving. I hate to do it but doing a factory restore may be my only choice and that's not guaranteed to work.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Try the "stay alive" app from the play store

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I did have to resort to Stay Alive. However, I did find the issue. The newer phones on my plan have hardware version I545.07 and mine is I545.06. Must be the cause of this issue.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, I did have to resort to Stay Alive. However, I did find the issue. The newer phones on my plan have hardware version I545.07 and mine is I545.06. Must be the cause of this issue.

Glad the app works for you. But my I545.06 works fine, so the hardware version is not likely the cause. Good that it is only an issue & not a problem.