Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lay it out like I'm five.

So my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4 had the amazing 4.2.2 version of Android and it was amazing. Then one night while being drunk I missed the thing that said to wait to update. So now it's downgraded to 4.4.2 and everything about it is terrible. The clock doesn't even work right. When I turn on the screen, the clock says 9am or whatever then it jumps to whatever accurate time it is. And I believe this is what is leading my alarm to go off well after the time it is supposed to. And there are a lot of other things that I hate about it. So I went on the adventure of trying to understand "cell phone lingo". People don't call it a "UI", they call it a "theme" which is only about 10x harder to install than a full custom Windows 7 UI that alters anything and everything. /end rant.

I see a lot of threads about going from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2. Then I see a lot of threads saying that a thing called a "bootloader" cannot be changed or removed or whatever. So I am thinking it's not possible to go from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 because... logic... says that it would be a different boot loader?

So is it even possible to root 4.4.2? I have a extra SIM card that is unused, is the OS installed on the SIM? I don't believe it is but I could be wrong.

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Lay it out like I'm five.

Welcome to the forums.
    You do have some of it right. There is a different bootloader, and Samsung made it more difficult to roll back a version of Android. Verizon is also nefarious for locking down phones so that root access is much more difficult.
    As for the new version of Android that you have; you can try clearing cache in recovery. That might clear errors in the previous ROM that are creating conflicts in the new one.
    [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow instructions for the S3.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, I'd much rather just go back to the old version. It was more refined and the "minimalist" look always looked disorganized to me. I like the battery thing being green when it's fully charged and the clock on the unlock screen was in a better spot. The "touch screen refinement" that they did made it too refined near the home button, it seems to always push something at the bottom of my screen now. I have found a few tutorials to go to 4.2.2 but none of them worked, do you have any other links that I could try? Right now it's just a bone stock phone, no custom anything. I tried using another .tar.md5 file off another site that said it was 4.2.2 stock restore but it doesn't even load into Odin. It just errors out.

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Everything I am looking at is kind of conflicting. I will look again tomorrow.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's kind of what I noticed, thanks for checking it out for me though, maybe you will find something that I missed.

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

So I have poked around a little, and I am still finding conflicting answers. The last I knew, you could not roll back a version of Android with this device (I may very well be wrong too). The chances of bricking the device are quite high. I am under the impression that Samsung did this intentionally, as opposed to a Nexus device which can roll back to any version that was released for it.

Phone Timeline
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well, I'll just go buy a new one then. I have a upgrade available and I don't really need a newer phone. Hell, don't want a new phone either as it probably comes with that twix or whatever it's called. And not having a "settings" button gets really old in a hurry. Thanks for checking it out. I was hoping your Google-foo was better than mine and you'd find something but oh well. It's a shame I can't just do a 100% wipe and manually install 4.2.2.