Access in Chile?

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am travelling to Chile and want to know the best option. Being that I am only going to be there for 2 days, does it make sense to go through the trouble of getting a SIM? Should I just get the $25 option from VZ (for 100MB) and avoid using the phone for calls?

If I did get a SIM, I would just need the APN settings? Any suggestions on where to get the SIM?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is unlocked, then I'd say go for the pre-paid SIM card. They're fairly easy to find and as long as your phone supports the carrier's bands, you're good to go. $25 for only 100MB is too expensive.

Also, most SIMs these days automatically configure your phone when you register on the network, so you would just need to put the SIM card in, let the phone register with the new network (you MIGHT have to manually select it in case your phone keeps trying to connect to Verizon, though) and voilá! After a couple of minutes you should have the services the SIM card has included, even data if it is available with what you bought.

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Since I am only going to be there for 2 days, I decided to take the easy route, albeit more expensive, and stick w/ the 100MB/$25. I do not have time to mess with getting a SIM from a local place. Maybe for my next trip.

Is there any place I can order the SIM online and have it before I leave?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There are a few places online you can order SIM cards that would work all over the world, but in this case, the SIM cards are VERY available locally. Bunch of little kiosks in almost every mall, and you can re-charge with prepaid cards available in almost all convenience stores.