Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to boot into recovery mode but it says " installing system update"

Although I successfully dodged the Kitkat update for months, it somehow started installing yesterday (black screen with little green man stating it is installing system update). I pulled the battery immediately. I've been trying unsuccessfully to boot into recovery mode like I did the last time this happened when I deleted the cached partition and I aborted the update installation. Despite my leaving my phone off for more than a day (I activated my old phone), every time I attempt recovery mode I get the same icon and message.

If anyone has any input on this I'd appreciate it. I assume if I leave my phone off long enough the battery will eventually discharge and the update will be unable to install. I'd like to hasten the process if possible.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Trying to boot into recovery mode but it says " installing system update"

Are you at least able to boot up normally or is that not working either?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Trying to boot into recovery mode but it says " installing system update"

It works but the phone just goes back to installing the update. I've been starting it and pulling the battery for two days now, hoping it will eventually discharge itself. When it dies, hopefully the update will fail. My phone is not rooted so I don't have a lot of choices.