Lollipop Update

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Being overly brave and installing the Lollipop update right now. Will try to update on how things go later today or tomorrow. It comes in two updates. The first was just prepping for 5.0, may have moved things to 4.4.4 but I forgot to check. Did a factory reset before the first update and I plan to do another just for giggles after the second.

Wish me luck.

Big Mike Ock

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Being overly brave and installing the Lollipop update right now. Will try to update on how things go later today or tomorrow. It comes in two updates. The first was just prepping for 5.0, may have moved things to 4.4.4 but I forgot to check. Did a factory reset before the first update and I plan to do another just for giggles after the second.

Wish me luck.

Big Mike Ock

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Downloaded Lollipop 5.0.1 for verizon S4 i545. Very easy but took about an hour with all the installs. I did not factory reset or anything and it was a smooth transition. Check my favorites apps and no issue. I only lost my calendar appointments but no big deal for me. I love this update.

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Delayed a bit so I could get some gsam info. Everything is running smoothly with the update and battery life seems to be pretty normal.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-30-21-53-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-21-53-43.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-21-54-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-21-54-00.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 70

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I only do a factory reset if I have issues after an update that I can't resolve through standard troubleshooting. After the last update (Kit Kat) my phone kept doing random restats. I just did a factory reset and everything was perfect.

Took about 2 hours to get the phone back to my preferences. I have 3 work email accounts and two personal emails to configure. I have been using Android for over 3.5 years and in that time I have done about 5 factory resets.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it really necessary or are there really any benefits to doing a factory reset either before or after the update?

Not completely necessary but part of me just needed to get a year and a half worth of junk off my phone. The main reason to do it is for major updates where something like the phones filing system or caches could change. Without clearing the cache or doing a factory reset you could have files that aren't being used anymore taking up space. It's a minor concern really but it was worth it to me. Also with all the lollipop problems on Nexus devices I was being extra cautious.

Overall though you definitely don't need to do a factory reset and this build appears to be working great either way.

Llaurra01

May 6, 2015
Visit site
NOT WORKING GREAT. :( I think I'm the only one who's having a problem. The DO NOT DISTURB which is supposed to replace the BLOCKING MODE is n't working. I'm still getting calls from people NOT on my contact list even though it's supposed to be set to only receive calls from CONTACTS ONLY. NO idea how to fix this..... :(

rp15

May 8, 2015
Visit site
After updating to lollipop several of my photos are missing. Specifically, photos I took with the phone camera (as opposed to stuff downloaded or sent to me). Has anybody else encountered this and more importantly, can I get those pics back or are they gone?

geoffsri

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Just updated to 5.01 so far so good. Photos II took with the camera are still there, I prefer the Calendar 31it just shows a green dot on the day and when you tap the day you get all the info for that day. In kitkat you could go to settings from the 2lines to the left of the center key but now you have to go to Apps > Settings. Any work around this?, also I could not get rid of the annoying sound and popup when connected to a wireless charger, after the update it comes on once only and then when it is fully charged. Will report on other pros and cons later.

rjaus

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I was nervous about updating again. I loved my S4 until the update to Kit Kat which caused unbelievable battery drain, so much so that I had written off replacing it with a S6 for my upgrade. Thought I had nothing to lose so I updated to Lollipop last night. So far the battery life has been dramatically improved. I'm at 60% battery in the evening (phone unplugged since 7am) and have been doing a fair amount of playing around on the screen today with Lollipop features. On a normal day with no calls and very little use I'd be at 40-50ish% right after lunch.

I might even consider getting a S6 at the end of the month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech