Email notification problem after Lollipop update

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
It's obvious that we know how to fix the notification problem by clearing the cache and data in the email app, but has anyone figured out how to do it when the clear data option is grayed out and not available? It's so frustrating knowing how to fix the problem, but not being able to do it.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited:

TonyViole

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I was only able to do "Clear Cache" but not able to do "Clear Data". I deleted all my email accounts. Then I was able to do both Clear Data and Cache. I then set up my email accounts and now all is working well.

Last edited:

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I was only able to do "Clear Cache" but not able to do "Clear Data". I deleted all my email accounts. Then I was able to do both Clear Data and Cache. I then set up my email accounts and now all is working well.

Thanks. I tried deleting just one account, but that didn't work. I will try deleting them all.

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I tried deleting just one account, but that didn't work. I will try deleting them all.

Deleting all the accounts worked. I was able to clear data and cache after the accounts were deleted. Once I did that, I readded each account and now the notifications are working.

WillRM

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm having same problem: no notifications for Yahoo mail or my time warner account. Have an Galaxy S4 and Lollipop is making me seriously consider iPhone 6 for next phone.

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Deleting all the accounts worked. I was able to clear data and cache after the accounts were deleted. Once I did that, I readded each account and now the notifications are working.

Now, if only I could figure out why my non-exchange accounts will not sync properly when the sync schedule is set to Automatic(Push). They will sync once, but not again. If I set it to the next choice of 15 minutes or another longer choice, they sync fine.

sanman4ever

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I played with the settings for an hour! Came across these forums, followed the procedure and all is working properly just like prior to the update. Thank You!

Bill Storm

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I had to backup ALL data using Helium then do a factory reset from settings menu to get my email notifications back. Unfortunately the backup took away my calendar data and my Google account...great.....

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I had to backup ALL data using Helium then do a factory reset from settings menu to get my email notifications back. Unfortunately the backup took away my calendar data and my Google account...great.....
I have a different but similar problem. I use only the Gmail app and I get intermittent problems like those discussed here, but mostly with just the sound. The notifications will appear but with no sound. Not all the time though, but on all three accounts thru Gmail. Weird.

ocjiml

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, particularly with yahoo emai app. I know Yahoo mail is considered a lower form, but I am used to it and like it. I would like to see a fix before going full time to gmail - yahoo has stuff I like which gmail does not have.

Another yahoo drawback is there is no way to notify yahoo support of this problem - except through this site. So it may never get fixed!!!

Alywas Hopful, Jim

geosync2004

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Android Expert!,

I'm new to this forum and I've been doing a lot of research on getting my pop3 email working notification sound to work and I've followed everything from deleting my pop3 email and adding it again, soft/hard reset, & number of emails to load to 100, I even bought it back to Best Buy to see if they can help me on getting my notification sound for my pop3 to work and even that Samsung rep couldn't get it work.

Note: I've read every single post on this thread and I've tried everything I could to get my pop3 notification back and NOTHING. No sound.

Please, if anyone of you experts could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it because I'm losing hope on trying to get my pop3 notification working since the update.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you,

geosync

tomp123

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I figured out that this is a problem with the update. Thanks Samsung/Google
The solution that worked for me was to go to setting, more settings, application manager, gmail, uninstall updates.
Email started pushing through again, and I'm getting notifications again.
The only problem I see now is I don't see gmail in the application manager, but google is still there. So I assume
the update separated them out maybe.
Hope this helps.

akishteru

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I tried to view the App Info of both Gmail and Gtalk and found that the checkbox Show Notifications is disabled. I then ticked the checkbox and yep! I am now able to receive notifications for the said apps! yey!

Notification.JPG

How to open App Info:

1. Open the App Drawer.
  2. Tap Menu.
  3. Tap Edit.
  4. Hold down and drag the app’s icon to the Uninstall icon at the top-right.

YMH

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately none of the above fixed this for me. Samsung Galaxy Note 4...No wonder there was a one day special with $250 off. It's a piece of (very expensive...despite the sale) junk.

prettyfly

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
So i upgraded today and whatsapp messages appears on my screen...how do i get rid of this...i did go through all the steps and checked my notification status

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney