Phone Spurious Beeping

shiflerg

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife's phone is always beeping. We don't know the source. It is not a message and it is not a call. Is there a way of turning this beeping off?

It is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it sound like the default system notification tone, or is it different? If it's a rolling multi-tone sound, then it could be an NFC alert. This could happen if she uses a wallet-case for the phone and has credit cards with NFC chips in it. Try turning off NFC.

shiflerg

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife changed her notifications sound to "whistle" and whatever it is has followed that. Is it possible to turn off the sound notification for an individual app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most apps have an option to turn off their own specific notifications within their app settings. And if they don't have that setting, you can always turn it off in the App Manager.

Does she have Yahoo Mail installed? That's been a common culprit in the past. Also, does the notification seem to come at set intervals, like at the top of every hour?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If she doesn't need audible notifications for incoming Yahoo emails, then turn them off. Open the Yahoo Mail app, tap Menu>Settings, and look for the notification options. If you can't find them there, then go to the App Manager instead, select Yahoo Mail, and uncheck the Show Notifications box.

shiflerg

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife's default email is yahoo. I thought there was an app for yahoo email but there isn't. Also, I didn't see an app for email so how do I turn off email notifications?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So your wife is using the stock Email app that came with the phone? It's usually called Email or Mail. Look in the App Drawer to find it, then open it, tap Menu>Settings, and select each of the email accounts. Look for the notification settings there and try turning them off. Now see if those notifications persist.